Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

As long as I don't have to try and figure out the whole mythic time thing...(I always meant to go back to it but haven't yet...no idea how it's supposed to work.)

But if you just want a story about how my guys view/deal with death and why, sure. :D

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Think of mythic time as a flashback, inserted between regular chapters, or an oldtimer saying, "Back in my day..." (the truth or lack thereof to what he is saying being irrelevant with the effect of the story on the now).

But yeah, Av. Essentially, just say either what your tribe has passed down about it or what you would want them to think about it.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

I just made a couple of small, descriptive edits to mine.

Post by Avatar »

[Syl] wrote:Think of mythic time as a flashback, inserted between regular chapters, or an oldtimer saying, "Back in my day..." (the truth or lack thereof to what he is saying being irrelevant with the effect of the story on the now).

But yeah, Av. Essentially, just say either what your tribe has passed down about it or what you would want them to think about it.
Schweet. Saturday.

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

A little less than 1.5 days to get your Trial entry in. Remember, it doesn't have to be great, original, detailed, or even fully thought out. It does have to potentially provide something for the starting point of the next phase, though.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Autarch, are you sticking with the multiple phases outlined in the current Trial description? I have not seen a call to vote after the June 12th deadline, and not all had submitted entries by then, nor even by now.

If we are going with a story post by the 22nd instead, I think I'll give it a shot.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The deadline for the first part was moved back a week, so voting, which will open up tomorrow, also got pushed back one week. If you can get something in tonight... If not, there probably won't be any serious penalty for not participating so long as players participate in the next phase—carving out a niche for themselves in the chosen explanation, which will have a soft deadline of the 1st. Late submissions until around the 8th will be accepted, though normal limitations apply (pertaining to questions one may ask privately, leniency in how things work out if there are snags, etc.).
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nod*

But from what has been posted so far, it looks like a story to describe our model of the afterlife is acceptable for the first entry?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's not what I had in mind (though they've been pretty good), but it will have to do.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Couldn't very well be the only one to not participate, I suppose. I'm sure it's no more what you had in mind than my Time trial was, but them's the breaks. ;) :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, yeah, mine turned out a bit different to what even I had expected. :D But at least I wrote something. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wait, what? Not July 1st? Are we going to every two months submissions now?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

[Syl] wrote:Considering how much of the game I am trying to build by using the Trials, I just don't think that will work. So it's time to change things up.

Starting with the current Trial, all Trials are now mandatory. One turn will consist of the Trial, another of a regular turn submission (1 month game time to two months real time).
After this trial, I really don't have any others in mind yet, so it could return to a normal turn schedule, at least for a while. But really, I just haven't tried thinking of one yet, so...
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh...

I guess I was so distressed by the idea of mandatory trials, that the following statement of two months real time flew right past me.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, that was where I missed it. :D I saw "Turn / Trial / Turn" and thought, well, I've just done a trial, must be the turn next.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

in the Trials thread The Autarch wrote:Precedence will be given to players who collaborate in creating a story that defines their separate roles.
*pout*

Serenity contacted Ristra, asking if we could collaborate on such. The idea of opposites like "serenity" and "hot peppers" just seemed like a great place to dive off from. But, it looks like that's not going to happen.

I hope things settle down for you soon, Ristra!

Back to the drawing board...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Eh, that bit doesn't really apply anymore, since you have all chosen a more egalitarian way of dealing with the afterlife.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Well coolness!
Not that that helps my story telling at this point... ;)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

That's a lot of late submissions.

The two submissions in so far are fine.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:The two submissions in so far are fine.
Yay!
*whew*

Return to “Acropolis”