The "Good Post" feature of this forum

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Don Exnihilote wrote:Speaking of Oz and karaoke, I once heard about 2,000 Oz Marines singing Come on Eileen in drunken unison as I walked past the Terror Club in Singapore... it was memorable. Obviously.
Is that how the club got its name?
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Not a bad theory :)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

sgt.null wrote:Iolanthe - i enjoyed learning that. :)

only ever had bunny - once - as a kid. i think i liked it. but then again i like deer, buffalo, elk, duck... so i am sure i would like any wild game. nu?
My wife and I very recently discovered that rabbits are smart, cuddly, and playful while visiting my family. My nephew has one...silly boy named it "Jack."
Buffalo burgers ARE tasty. So is Ostrich...though I'm not sure where they come from since Oz doesn't exist [as stevie reminded me].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

There are ostrich farms in Lincolnshire, but no buffalos as far as I know. Never tried ostrich meat though. Might buy some at one of the farmers' markets and try it.

We always had two rabbits when the children were at home. Lost two to myxomatosis, birds carry it. Still got one end of the rabbit run - C uses it for sawing wood on. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I've only had ostrich burgers and llama (or was it emu?) burgers at a sampling booth at a fair, and they were far too dried out to be fairly judged. But I seem to recall other than being dry, they were also quite tasty.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Buffalo is all right, we have/had a restaurant in Columbus that sold nothing but Buffalo meat. Duck is good, if a little heavy on the stomach. Caribou is amazing as is deer. Boar is good in things like chili, and I'm uncertain if I've ever had bear.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote:I've only had ostrich burgers and llama (or was it emu?) burgers at a sampling booth at a fair, and they were far too dried out to be fairly judged. But I seem to recall other than being dry, they were also quite tasty.
Yea, ostrich is very low fat [which means care must be taken to avoid dryness] and extremely low in "bad" fats...I think lower than anything that isn't a plant. It is also a red meat...has a strong flavor and can be subbed for red meats in almost ever case. Other than some fish, it's about the healthiest flesh in existence. The protein to bad fat and protein to calories ratios are great.
I wish it was more common...which it should be...it's cheaper and more eco-friendly than cattle, IIRC.
[and I made a mistake earlier...they aren't native to Oz, though some escapees established populations there...like camels in U.S. southwest for a while...are any camels still there, you SW folk?]
Bear I had a couple times as a kid...very strong, and very "gamey" flavor, which is a big plus for me but lots of folk don't like it. My understanding is that it can be juicier and less gamey except most [maybe all?] U.S. hunting seasons for them end before they stop moving so much and start putting on fat.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Vraith wrote:Definitely not a Yank. Probably local...but possibly an Aussie [there were a lot of them around and a popular hangout for them nearby, and with the volume overall, accent discrimination was tough cuz I'm a Yank.]
How long ago did this happen? Since I don't think I've really heard any Aussies give the 'crow' insult you mentioned, anytime recently. (Still quite possible that it was one of us make-believe folk, but I'm just curious)
Don Exnihilote wrote:Speaking of Oz and karaoke, I once heard about 2,000 Oz Marines singing Come on Eileen in drunken unison as I walked past the Terror Club in Singapore... it was memorable. Obviously.
Hah, yep that would've been Aussies, for sure! :biggrin: Wish I'd heard that too, heh

But yeah, it would definitely be good if there was like, a thanks given/received portion on our profiles or something, so we can look and see who gave them and where. There's a similar system on another forum I'm on, too, but there's also the capability to add text to the 'good post'/'give reputation' ability, so it would of course be more essential there, sort of thing. (but yeah, good point, MsMary - even if I've only been around to give out a single GP! :D)

EDIT: Two, now!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote: [and I made a mistake earlier...they aren't native to Oz, though some escapees established populations there..
No they're not. :lol:

I'm not a fan to be honest. Don't really like the taste of them. And they're all deranged too. (Also like camels. :lol: )

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Major Isoor wrote:
Vraith wrote:Definitely not a Yank. Probably local...but possibly an Aussie [there were a lot of them around and a popular hangout for them nearby, and with the volume overall, accent discrimination was tough cuz I'm a Yank.]
How long ago did this happen? Since I don't think I've really heard any Aussies give the 'crow' insult you mentioned, anytime recently. (Still quite possible that it was one of us make-believe folk, but I'm just curious)
Gee, thank you VERY MUCH for reminding me time passes fast and I'm getting old...so kind, really. :biggrin:
It was six years and one month ago!
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Vraith wrote:
Major Isoor wrote:
Gee, thank you VERY MUCH for reminding me time passes fast and I'm getting old...so kind, really. :biggrin:
It was six years and one month ago!
Heh, well sorry about that, then! :P But yeah, could've been people from Western Australia, I guess. That's the only state I haven't visited, outside of the airport.

And I didn't know that Ostrich was quite that good for you! I've had some Ostrich meatballs when I was in Kenya (spent a month there helping out at an orphanage with a bunch of others, some years ago) which were very nice, along with...Crocodile or something, I think? Can't remember. Either way, not bad, either. But those are the only really exotic meats I've eaten - hell, I haven't even eaten Kangaroo or Emu, and I live down here with 'em!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Question: how do we know which posts have been Thanked?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Basically, we don't, unless you go back through your posts and see the note, "thanked by [user name]" under your user items to the left of the post. There's no way to call up a list of them on this version of phpBB, according to Vain.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Menolly wrote:Basically, we don't, unless you go back through your posts and see the note, "thanked by [user name]" under your user items to the left of the post. There's no way to call up a list of them on this version of phpBB, according to Vain.
Ah... Time to scroll individually through my 9500+ posts. :lol:
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Only 9546 for now! Are you sitting there and
Worm of Despite wrote:
Menolly wrote:Basically, we don't, unless you go back through your posts and see the note, "thanked by [user name]" under your user items to the left of the post. There's no way to call up a list of them on this version of phpBB, according to Vain.
Ah... Time to scroll individually through my 9500+ posts. :lol:
doing exactly that? Haven't seen you for more than two weeks, surely you aren't doing such a thing?) Well, I'll simplify it a bit - now you'll know where to find one at least, see above)
A role-player, beware

Return to “General Discussion Forum”