Yeah, we really stopped him

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

What the hell kind of scorpion was that? :lol:

That's insane.

On the other hand, what's your life worth?

(This is why I asked what kind of scorpion it was...most scorpion stings don't require antivenin...says they could relieve her symptoms, which suggests she wasn't going to die without it...)

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It is the branch scorpian, the most poisonous in the US. I had a friend in elementary school in AZ that got stung by one while eating cereal. He was able to brag about it a couple hours later. I've been stung by one as well, and though the sting is a bitch I had no other symptoms and another friend described a numb tongue and lips for about a day (like novecaine).

It is by no means deadly in most cases. I imagine if there's an allergy that exists it'll become a problem, but other than that old chestnut, the doctor pretty much prescribed an expensive and unnecesary treatment. It's like he gets paid commission :lol:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion wrote: the doctor pretty much prescribed an expensive and unnecesary treatment. It's like he gets paid commission :lol:
this is how we go bankrupt. the govt guarantees payment no matter what the doctor decides to do. the doctor prescribes all sorts of worthless tests and cures. how we lost control of medicare/medicade in a nutshell.

and obomacare fixes none of it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

sgt.null wrote:
Orlion wrote: the doctor pretty much prescribed an expensive and unnecesary treatment. It's like he gets paid commission :lol:
this is how we go bankrupt. the govt guarantees payment no matter what the doctor decides to do. the doctor prescribes all sorts of worthless tests and cures. how we lost control of medicare/medicade in a nutshell.

and obomacare fixes none of it.
That's quite the insightful observation. I can't see how I didn't see it before. It's essentially the same problem as rising tuition costs.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

orlion - same thing happened in the housing crisis. the people giving out bad mortgages knew they would be selling them off anyway. and then our gov't came in and paid off the bad loans. thus making sure that the people who gave out the bad loans were rewarded.

and bam - we do the same thing with the banks and the auto companies.

all sorts of bad choices that should have driven these people out of business - instead rewarded by DC.

so nothing ever changes.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Orlion wrote:It is by no means deadly in most cases. I imagine if there's an allergy that exists it'll become a problem, but other than that old chestnut, the doctor pretty much prescribed an expensive and unnecessary treatment. It's like he gets paid commission :lol:
:LOLS:

I've been stung by a scorpion as well with no real ill effects...of course...I was severely hung-over at the time. :lol:

Anyway, yeah...suspected as much.

--A
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Sgt. null: We view this differently. If you provided health care for all, this would not even be a discussion.

Unless of course you think that the deprivation of healtcare is supposed to be a part of the punishment?

RR, the same for you: In society: can't afford a new hip? to bad. But you can "pollish apples and shine shoes and flip burgers" or whatever it is you are supposed to do to become a millionaire, till you can."

Now, in prison you can't make the money required for the new hip. So, in fact, when you are in prison - you for alle practical purposes - don't have access to that procedure. That makes the de facto deprivation of medical services, above the bare minimum, a part of the punishment. I'm sure that nobody with even an average sence ethics wouldn't want you to get away with that, however much you'd like to.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

we have many snakes around here - and I am sure the hospitals would be only too happy to overcharge. as they do with any procedure.

when I volunteer at the zoo - I have to be aware of where the Lion Fish antidote is. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Prebe wrote:Sgt. null: We view this differently. If you provided health care for all, this would not even be a discussion.

Unless of course you think that the deprivation of healtcare is supposed to be a part of the punishment?

RR, the same for you: In society: can't afford a new hip? to bad. But you can "pollish apples and shine shoes and flip burgers" or whatever it is you are supposed to do to become a millionaire, till you can."

Now, in prison you can't make the money required for the new hip. So, in fact, when you are in prison - you for alle practical purposes - don't have access to that procedure. That makes the de facto deprivation of medical services, above the bare minimum, a part of the punishment. I'm sure that nobody with even an average sence ethics wouldn't want you to get away with that, however much you'd like to.
When you go to Prison you give up certain rights and privileges that are afforded to those who have not broken the law and ended up in Jail.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Orlion wrote:It is by no means deadly in most cases. I imagine if there's an allergy that exists it'll become a problem, but other than that old chestnut, the doctor pretty much prescribed an expensive and unnecessary treatment. It's like he gets paid commission :lol:
:LOLS:

I've been stung by a scorpion as well with no real ill effects...of course...I was severely hung-over at the time. :lol:

Anyway, yeah...suspected as much.

--A
And I believe your scorpions are far more deadlier than what we had in Arizona...

And yes, some hangovers are much, much worse than being stung by a scorpion... I wonder if Mexico makes a vaccine for hangovers?
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Nah, fair mix really. I was lucky and this one wasn't particularly venomous. (Easy way to check is to compare the size of the claws to that of the poison sac...big claws and small stinger means it relies on claws to hunt. The other way around is bad news.)

(It was inside my jeans when, hung over, I pulled them on. :lol: )

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

prebe - people should be getting insurence trhough their job. not by federal mandate.

if obama reformed the laws to make that possible for every working person to have insurance through working - i would have gone along with that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Prebe wrote:Sgt. null: We view this differently. If you provided health care for all, this would not even be a discussion.

TANSTAFL. I can't afford to go to Tahiti , nor can I really afford lasik surgury unless I flat out cannot see anymore, etc, and I haven't done anything that rates me going to prison.

Now we pan over to a John Wayne Gacy, or Ted Bundy, etc., IMOHO, they don't rate heroic measures to keep them alive or comfortable. I'd rather give those same procedures to someone who has managed not be be sent to prison for life, or a huge percentage of life.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

raw - imagine having to stop an inmate from killing himself. knowing that he is set for execution. when i was on tour in Huntsville at the old death chamber we discussed it.

I honestly hopes it never happens - but if one of my i/m's has a heart attack i would have to do cpr. and i honestly think i would try to save his life...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Coercri”