Episode 7!

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Episode 7!

Post by Zarathustra »

Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Damn you Zar, I was rushing here to post this!

Disney paid over $4 billion for Lucasfilm & ILM, they now own the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Crazy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Damn you Zar, I was rushing here to post this!

Disney paid over $4 billion for Lucasfilm & ILM, they now own the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Crazy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Now, is it actually all of Star Wars, or just future installments? Cuz it'd be real nice to get the originals distributed again...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Strangely mixed feelings on this...Star Wars!...Disney...Star Wars!...Disney...

Ah well...maybe it'll be good. Maybe it'll even follow the authorised extended universe...

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Didn't Lucas say he originally planned nine films? And that even the authorized novels do not tell those stories?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Menolly wrote:Didn't Lucas say he originally planned nine films? And that even the authorized novels do not tell those stories?
I believe this is true.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Menolly wrote:Didn't Lucas say he originally planned nine films? And that even the authorized novels do not tell those stories?
Lucas is full of it. The original plan was a single movie. The phenomenal success of SW led to the original trilogy. It wasn't until 1978 or 1979 that the "trilogy of trilogies" idea was floated.

There are a handful of interviews out there with Gary Kurtz. Literally everything you love about SW came from him. I strongly suggest reading about him.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Lucas can't say the same thing from one year to the next. Not too long ago he said he'd arranged things so that when he dies no one would be allowed to do anything with Star Wars. This week he says he always hoped that it would be carried on into a new generation.

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: Idiot.

I've always loved the idea of another trilogy...always thought there should be sequels, and that the original actors should be used. Getting on a bit now, admittedly, but in theory it could still be done.

But I do really like the extended universe.

--A
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I just can't see Harrison Ford as Han in a new movie unless they are doing the 50 years later final trilogy. He's a great grandfather now and showing his age. Sadly I think they will have to recast it and luckily bullets can't yet travel through a computer so I feel safe in saying I hope they crazy recast it like they did for the star trek film...

:hide:

Here's Luke:

Here's Han:

Here's Leia:

I love them but they are NOT SW ready....and never will be...
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm gonna double post so please forgive me. I think of all of them, Carrie has aged the best but she's got a ton of weight to lose and even then it ain't happening. Mark just looks old and while Harrison looks old too he is just hanging by a thread to his attractiveness it's highly diminished IMHO. Also, I, like Avatar am skeptical about the whole Disney/StarWars/Disney/StarWars thing. I'm kinda excited but kinda like oh shiza, I hope we dont end up with some sappy kid friendly mangling of star wars...
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If the third trilogy is supposed to include Luke as an aged, sixty-something Jedi ...
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

I'm very excited by this. Disney is fully capable of producing good stuff, that isn't always kid oriented.

I hope they don't try to use original cast members. Something well after Jedi would be good placement-wise.

I dabble in extended universe stuff and do like some of it, but I think making an original story is probably the way to go, rather than trying to stay with the canon as presented in books and comics.

Yah, Star Wars!
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Well, it sounds as if Lucas did plan on the original characters being well aged...

Star Wars sequel trilogy

Post by Avatar »

Mortice Root wrote:I dabble in extended universe stuff and do like some of it, but I think making an original story is probably the way to go, rather than trying to stay with the canon as presented in books and comics.
No way man...if canon is canon, then it's canon. That's sorta the whole point. ;)

They could still do plenty of new stuff in and around it. Not even necessarily the same characters. But to retell the original story with different actors would be horribly wrong. (Even ST didn't do that.)

It's either gotta be long enough after VI so that it's new characters, or it has to go KotOR style. (Which would be cool too.)

--A
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

I had always thought that Lucas had said that only the films (and maybe the Clone Wars tv show) were cannon anyway. (Not that Lucas is ever the model of consistency in his pronouncements.... :lol: ).

I just think that the new filmmakers will be very restrained if they try to make a new film that's consistent with all of the expanded universe.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Canon is never canon, just ask Marvel and DC. How many times have they retconned themselves, even to the point of retconning earlier retcons? Consider DC: there used to be mutliple parallel universes, then only one, and now there are multiples again. Of course, that is why I don't get back into comic books, but that is an entirely different thread.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

Mortice Root wrote:I had always thought that Lucas had said that only the films (and maybe the Clone Wars tv show) were cannon anyway. (Not that Lucas is ever the model of consistency in his pronouncements.... :lol: )
*shrug* The plots etc of all the authorised extended universe had to be approved. That makes them accepted parts of the story surely. (Or should.) Which makes them canon.

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Canon is never canon, just ask Marvel and DC. How many times have they retconned themselves, even to the point of retconning earlier retcons?
Doesn't make it right. ;)

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Canon is whatever whoever owns the rights decides it is. All else is just geekery.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”