How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

ali wrote:Congrats to Sarge (for getting rid of his C.O. shortly) and Savor Dam (for full-time gainful employment)!
I couldn'ta said it better myself.
Major congrats to both!
(was going to check if that captain was the critical, "if-anything-good-happens-to-someone-it-must-be-coming-out-of-something-good-i-was-going-to-get" person)
deer of the dawn wrote:Today was the kind of day that makes all the kashi* worthwhile. After school I went with a busload of teens to a home for orphans and we just played games with them and actually learned one from them. Their smiles and excitement were priceless.... :D

*(Hausa for excrement)
:nanaparty:
AWESOME.

Also love your use of foreign languages for swear words.
One of my good friends from college liked Arabic for that.

I am having a decent day, but feeling like I've got a lot of energy but I don't know what purpose to bend it to...
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

my current (soon to be leaving) captain has terrible person-to-person skills. quick to criticize, glacial to thank anyone. we have an inspection monday. we will bust our asses to make sure she passes. we will never here a word of praise or thanks.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Sarge - :hug: we who matter appreciate you. :D

Woke up at 5 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep - very unusual for me - it's usually the other way round - can't get to sleep and then can't get up! :roll:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

:roll: poppies!

Early in the week I was cooking and discovered I'd run out of salt.
I checked my backpack cos I remember dropping some packets in the pocket when I'd been to KFC.
I shook out the backpack, poked into ever corner, but I had none left.
So I popped out to the shoppie for some salt.

Mid-week I bought a poppy for Rememberance Sunday and had put it into the pocket of my backpack.

The other day I thought I would put the poppy in a houseplant, or the corner of a wall picture. But when I went to get it from my backpack...
I'd gone and lost the naffin thing, and a packet of KFC salt that I must have missed dropped out of the pocket.

Ah well, maybe next year!
:wink:
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I've got a metal one on a pin that I can wear on my coat, a bit of a cheat, but it's a problem these days fastening one on to a coat that doesn't have button holes! I have bought a proper one which is living in a pocket at the moment. :D

Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

Feeling rather fat right now, but at the same time, I'm also feeling the baby move...so incredible! Never felt anything like this before. :D
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You're not fat, FD -- you're pregnant. There's a huge difference. :hug:

I'm hoping life is about to calm down. Things have been crazy around here ever since the 1st.

OTOH, I have to be at my desk in the office for all five days this coming week. :(

And I found out tonight that one of my best friends has MS. :( She seems okay with the diagnosis -- but she also admitted that she waited nearly two weeks to tell me so she could have the conversation without bawling, bless her heart.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Today is Remembrance Day or Armistice Day or Veterens Day depending upon where you are living. At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month we remember all people, civilians and soldiers, who have died in all wars - of whatever colour or creed. All over the UK at this time people in large towns and small villages will congregate at war memorials to lay wreaths of poppies and small crosses bearing poppies in memory of their local dead, and all victims of war.

The poppy is the symbol of the blood shed on the fields of Flanders where so many soldiers died in the first World War, and where the red poppy flowered in abundance.

Below is the memorial at Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire, to the Dambusters (617 Squadron RAF).

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them."

Lest we forget

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

We are the dead.
Short days ago
We Lived
Felt Dawn
Saw Sunset Glow.
Loved and were Loved.
But now we lie
...in Flanders Field.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:Today was the kind of day that makes all the kashi* worthwhile. After school I went with a busload of teens to a home for orphans and we just played games with them and actually learned one from them. Their smiles and excitement were priceless.... :D

*(Hausa for excrement)
:nanaparty:
AWESOME.

Also love your use of foreign languages for swear words.
One of my good friends from college liked Arabic for that.
A friend of mine (a white American) grew up in Yorubaland but went to college in the US. during an American Football game, he didn't like the referee's call and cussed the guy out a long string in Yoruba. As he sat down he looked back and a black man was staring goggle-eyed at him. "Where did you learn to swear like that?" he said. They guy was from Nigeria and understood every word. :oops:

Happy Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Personaly, I'll be glad to forget all that's happened last week as it's been one of those topsy-turvy, knocked side'a'ways kinda week.

A few days ago I bumped into to someone in town. He was cluctching his jaw and looking very distressed. I asked him if he had a toothache and he told me it was an abcess.

I kid you not. The very next day I had the most horrendous abcess I've ever known. I look like a hamster all down one side of my face. I mean, I never even shook the bloke's hand. Very strange!

Doctor's tonight. So I should have antibiotics tomorrow and be back on the mend. Phew!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

KK :hug: I used to get a lot of abcesses in my gums. I really do sympathise.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Those things are no fun at all. Feel better, KK!

Whatever made me think life would calm down? I realized yesterday that I've gotta draft the holiday letter soon. 8O

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I have a cold. Head stuffy, achy, yucky. I think my fever broke though since I woke up about half an hour ago in a puddle of sweat and I no longer have the chills... that's a good sign right?
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

been waiting for the resolution before i told the story - so here goes.

my captain and i had a confrontation some two months ago. we were prepping for an inspection and she found something she didn't like. her favorite sergeant (not me) screwed up and put some bleach in the cage without marking it in.

now i knew this was done and had the inspectors actually been there i would have taken care of it sooner. but i had some ten minutes before i could take care of it. so we both get called in the office and i get yelled at. i tell the captain she can't be screaming at me. she says she can. i repeat that she can't.

so she says she will write me up and prove it to me. i tell her that i may not win, but she certainly won't. well some weeks go by before i am called up front before the disciplinary captain. he tells me i have been written up for cursing at her and insubordination! i explain that i didn't curse at her and that she was simply writing me up to try and control me.

then nothing for a month. then last week i am informed i will see the warden this week. on monday i go before him and explain my side.

first he downgrades the case. this means that is essentially tells her that she was wrong with the original charging. then he finds me not guilty. tells me that i can't be arguing with her and that he does not want to see me before him again. i thank him. he then tells me that if i have any more problems with her to go to administration!

so to sum up - he downgrades the case, he dismisses the case and then offers me a lifeline if she tries anything again like this. much respect for the man now.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

deer of the dawn wrote:A friend of mine (a white American) grew up in Yorubaland but went to college in the US. during an American Football game, he didn't like the referee's call and cussed the guy out a long string in Yoruba. As he sat down he looked back and a black man was staring goggle-eyed at him. "Where did you learn to swear like that?" he said. They guy was from Nigeria and understood every word. :oops:
Oh, boy... quite the story!
sarge wrote:so to sum up - he downgrades the case, he dismisses the case and then offers me a lifeline if she tries anything again like this. much respect for the man now.
Yay. Sounds great.

Over here, I'm sick with the flu... tutored 3 students yesterday, drove to the fourth, and 15 minutes in to the session had to run to the bathroom to vomit. :(
So I cancelled all my sessions today.
I think I'm mostly okay now; just headachey.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yeah, like Jenn I'm trying to come out of a weird-ass flu and feeling very nostalgic for the Watch, reading a bit more Sci-Fi/Fantasy and curious about a few authors so I'll pop in a little more frequently. Missing older members like Matrixman and Jeecheeta, for example... :read:
fall far and well Pilots!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

MatrixMan. :(

Jem pops in every once in a long while.

Nice to see you around again Danlo. :D

--A
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well apparently I was wrong because I went back to bed and kept sleeping, woke up a few more times with chills and all sweaty. Got up this morning thinking I was gonna try to get ready for work and quickly realized that no, I wasn't. Been sleeping all day and just woke up finally feeling like i might be getting over this crud.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Stop being sick, you guys. Right this minute. :(

Sarge -- :7up:

In the throes of NaNoWriMo here. I was keeping up with the daily word count -- until yesterday. Then I got stuck at work for a couple of extra hours last night, and there went my writing time. :( Oh well, I'll hibernate this weekend and get caught up again.

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General Discussion Forum”