What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Not sure he counts as "on topic", but just did Moore "The Stupidest Angel"
I like him...he's funny...but kinda like cotton candy, once I'm done with it I wonder if I actually had anything....
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

After a Miltonic break, I am back with Julian May in The Adversary.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Martin, A Storm of Swords: Part 1. (What's with breaking this and 5 into 2 books?)

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Never heard of book 5 being broken up. ASoS was because it was too thick for a paperback.

Post by Avatar »

Mine shows ADwD as being in two parts as well.

*shrug* Ah well. Will pick up 4 and 5 tomorrow probably.

--A
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Bit of a transition after Malazan. Short, snappy chapters with one POV character at a time, few hundred years history rather than hundreds of thousands.......tropes :lol:

But I'm about halfway through now, and enjoying the hell out of it. The plot crackles along, the characters are engaging, and the magic system is novel and well executed. Would recommend.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Cambo wrote:The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Bit of a transition after Malazan. Short, snappy chapters with one POV character at a time, few hundred years history rather than hundreds of thousands.......tropes :lol:

But I'm about halfway through now, and enjoying the hell out of it. The plot crackles along, the characters are engaging, and the magic system is novel and well executed. Would recommend.
Yeah? I've always wondered about Weeks' assassin series, and now this.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Finished PKD - A Scanner Darkly

Can now begin
13 Steampunk Romances - Corsets & Clockwork

Post by Avatar »

So, I'm up to date with ASoIaF.

Read Storm of Swords part 2, Feast For Crows, and A Dance With Dragons, Part 1 and 2.

Now busy on Gemmell's Hero In The Shadows.

--A
Last edited by Avatar on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Avatar »

And not having much else to read, that launched me onto a Gemmell kick.

Waylander II
Legend of Deathwalker
Legend

Up next, King Beyond The Gate.

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Since Christmas Day I've read Pyramids by Terry Pratchet (enjoyed enormously) and Tapped by Lynne Cantwell (can't wait for the next one) both downloaded from my kindle. About to start on Daughter of Regals. Two books in two days!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Haven't read anything for a while and wanted something to put my teeth in...so re-reading Time by Stephen Baxter. The hard science is mostly way over my head, but I like the big ideas.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Iolanthe wrote:Since Christmas Day I've read Pyramids by Terry Pratchet (enjoyed enormously) and Tapped by Lynne Cantwell (can't wait for the next one) both downloaded from my kindle. About to start on Daughter of Regals. Two books in two days!
Good for you! :) And thanks! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I'm back to Runes... about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 of the way through...

...And also back to "1634: The Galileo Affair," by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis.
(What's up with me not finishing things in one go?!?)
Such an amusing "alternative sci-fi history," such an amusing cast of characters.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I've read a couple of the "1634" books. One of my friends is really into it and was loaning them to me for awhile. They're pretty good. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Finished Iain M Banks' Use of Weapons. Good book, lot of humour in it as well as some darkness. Not sure about the ending. It certainly has me thinking, but mostly about how it's supposed to work.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm Murrin wrote:Finished Iain M Banks' Use of Weapons. Good book, lot of humour in it as well as some darkness. Not sure about the ending. It certainly has me thinking, but mostly about how it's supposed to work.
Bit of a brain-twister alright, a sci-fi version of The Usual Suspects.

I did a fair bit of reading over the Christmas period:
  • The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb had me mulling over the soap opera nature of some contemporary fantasy series due to the need to stretch one book into three (or six :-x ). Hobb does it better than most though.

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card had me mulling over the same thing as one book has now stretched to twelve. This one seemed to have little point at all as just about nothing new happened or was revealed that hasn't appeared in previous books (or the first one :roll: )

Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd is the first book in a five book series (who'd a thunk it :lol:). It's well written and interesting but suffers from one of my bugbears, too much magic. And the place it's set in is called the Land :-x It's like he took absolutely every element that he could find in the fantasy genre and put it in. Overstuffed.

The Eternity Artifact by L.E. Modesitt Jr. A reasonably good standalone sci-fi novel. Not as good as some of his other ones but enjoyable all the same.

The Broken God by David Zindell. It was odd getting used to the original Danlo after becoming so used to the real one :lol: Very enjoyable.
u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

ussusimiel wrote:Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd is the first book in a five book series (who'd a thunk it :lol:). It's well written and interesting but suffers from one of my bugbears, too much magic. And the place it's set in is called the Land :-x It's like he took absolutely every element that he could find in the fantasy genre and put it in. Overstuffed.
Every time I look for The Stormcaller, I find The Stormcaller. :lol: I have the first one, because it looked interesting enough for $.50 at the used bookstore. Maybe I'll read it in the next year or so.

ussusimiel wrote:The Broken God by David Zindell. It was odd getting used to the original Danlo after becoming so used to the real one :lol: Very enjoyable.
Oh my goodness! What a freakin' book! What a freakin' series!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It was odd getting used to the original Danlo after becoming so used to the real one Laughing Very enjoyable.

8) :P
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Started reading Conrad Williams' The Unblemished. Creepy dark horror. Not my usual.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”