What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

The Last Continent (Terry P). Decided to catch up on my reading last night. Seriously funny book this. Was in the spare room - C and I both have colds and as we don't cough/sneeze in unison thought this the best way to both get some sleep. Had to shut the door in case I woke him laughing out loud. The sheep shearing scene and what follows was the funniest thing I've ever read - not joking. Never laughed that loud at a book before. :haha: Shauny and Stevie you must, must read this book if you haven't already done so.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm trying to read Beyond the Event Horizon and it's decent writing with a brisk pace, but I'm at 33% on Kindle, no idea what page? 190? And the Bible is
Spoiler
trying to weedle it's way in from two directions. Everything's in outer space so it might be somewhat interesting to see what biblical prophesy has to say post Apocalypse, we'll see...
fall far and well Pilots!
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Iolanthe wrote:The Last Continent (Terry P). Decided to catch up on my reading last night. Seriously funny book this. Was in the spare room - C and I both have colds and as we don't cough/sneeze in unison thought this the best way to both get some sleep. Had to shut the door in case I woke him laughing out loud. The sheep shearing scene and what follows was the funniest thing I've ever read - not joking. Never laughed that loud at a book before. :haha: Shauny and Stevie you must, must read this book if you haven't already done so.
I'll put it on the list! I'm in Bronte Land at the moment, (Shirley, Charlotte), but intending to head on over to Discworld shortly; which will be rather a change of pace I imagine :-)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm reading Black Sheep by Ben Peek. Dystopian novel about a future where the UN has enforced racial segregation into Black, Asian, and Caucasian cities, and multiculturalism - believed to be the cause of the world's problems, particularly the "Racial Wars" - is illegal. The main character has migrated from Asian-Tokyo to Asian-Sydney, is convicted of being Japanese, and sentenced to Assimilation, a process where all your body's pigment is removed, your identity erased, and your mind altered so that you become, essentially, a passive, mindless slave.

Interesting so far. Very 1984, but less about the politics and more about race and identity.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:
Iolanthe wrote:The Last Continent (Terry P). Decided to catch up on my reading last night. Seriously funny book this. Was in the spare room - C and I both have colds and as we don't cough/sneeze in unison thought this the best way to both get some sleep. Had to shut the door in case I woke him laughing out loud. The sheep shearing scene and what follows was the funniest thing I've ever read - not joking. Never laughed that loud at a book before. :haha: Shauny and Stevie you must, must read this book if you haven't already done so.
I'll put it on the list! I'm in Bronte Land at the moment, (Shirley, Charlotte), but intending to head on over to Discworld shortly; which will be rather a change of pace I imagine :-)
Let me know what Shirley is like. I've never read it!

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm Murrin wrote:I've read all of the Robert Jordan books. I just don't feel any particular desire to go back to it.
I liked the first books too much. By the end of 10 it was a disaster, but I couldn't leave it. Luckily, from then on it got steadily better again, IMO anyway.
Iolanthe wrote:The Last Continent
Probably my favourite Rincewind book.

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Read Equal Rites yesterday. Excellent, another gripping book, another very late night/early morning. :roll:

Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

Started reading ASOIAF series by George Martin a month ago.

Now I'm midway thru Book 4 A Feast For Crows. Great reading, but the plot ironically doesn't move too well.

At least SRD sticks to his plans to publish every 3 years. And wrap things up. GRRM should take a lesson! :lol:
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Iolanthe wrote:Read Equal Rites yesterday. Excellent, another gripping book, another very late night/early morning. :roll:
I'm reading Carpe Jugulum rite now...I've come to like his witchy ones.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The problem for me with the early Pratchett books is that the characters feel a little flat. I loved them at the time, but they develop so much, and become so rounded, that the early and later books can scarce be compared.
Billy G. wrote:Started reading ASOIAF series by George Martin a month ago.
I just got to the end of the published books recently myself. Who knows when the next will be out... :lol:

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Had to finally stop Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, too bad really it was well written and had a lot of potential, but when it went in to Bible thump, prayer-fest Born Again mode it just wasn't something I could hang with. Kindle is a weird beast, never read a Sci-Fi before that went into such heavy-duty religious overload...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Hmmm...seems like the author lives in Ohio... can't trust anyone from Ohio...

I wonder if he lives in the Zanesville area?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Zanesville is the creepiest town I've ever been in, in my life...
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

Reading: Raymond E. Feist - A Kingdom Beseiged.

And for the record, I am a Terry Pratchett fan, oh yes. I love Guards, Guards the best I think.....and then Soul Music.
Are you Elvish? Oh, so funny.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Lady Revel wrote:Reading: Raymond E. Feist - A Kingdom Beseiged.
Hi, Lady Revel! I don't believe we've met. What's your opinion of the later Feist books? I only read up to the first couple of the Conclave of Shadows books, and I got bored. Nothing he's done since Serpentwar has really grabbed me the same way.

Myself, I've just started Stonewielder by Ian C Esslemont
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Equal Rites, my first Pratchett.

And hello Lady Revel. I too am yet to make your acquaintance.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:Equal Rites, my first Pratchett.

And hello Lady Revel. I too am yet to make your acquaintance.
Ah, that was the last one I read. Reading The Last Continent again, because I enjoyed it so much the first time. And it's March already, time to download another one.

Hello Lady Revel, I haven't met you before either.

Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

Hello! Hello! It is nice to meet all of you! :D

The later Feist books are not nearly as good as the early ones, I must admit....but I do enjoy getting my dose of Pug. I am about halfway into this book, though....and well, I haven't really picked out a storyline. Things are happening, but I am not sure why the main characters are so alarmed, and doing what they are doing. I will let you know if it improves.

I feel about Feist the way others feel about Jordan. Not as interested as I used to be, but I need to know what is going on, because I have made it this far. I feel that way about the WOT, too. Although, I must confess I haven't picked up a memory of light....I am waiting for the softcover version. Or maybe a trip to the library.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Hi Lady Revel. welcome back! :lol:

I think most of Feist's work (the first book excepted) suffers from what I'd call 'roleplayingitis'. The 'plots' do not feel integrated, they feel like they have been generated in a roleplaying-type manner. I gave up reading his Midkemia books after failing to finish Prince of Blood. With the honourable (pun intended :lol: ) exception of Honoured Enemy I don't reread any of the books set in that world written after Magician (which I also regularly reread.)

I did (and still do) enjoy The Empire Trilogy (especially the first two books), but I credit a lot of that to the writing of Janny Wurts (funnily, I can't read her own books at all :? Probably I'm just weird :lol: ).

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

ussusimiel: I think that you have nailed Feist spot on. 'roleplayingitis' Yes. *nod*

Thank you for the welcome back!

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”