New books, new worlds in your living room

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Got three pretty neat books at the thrift store, all in decent condition, for a buck-fiddy today:
Hunter S. Thompson's A Generation of Swine
finally!>The Crossing (sequel to All The Pretty Horses) by Cormac McCarthy. WOOO HOOO!!! :S
and The Third Millennium; Living in the Post Historic World by Ken Carey--which I've just started and seems to be the logical type of book to read right after The Celestine Prophecy, like the latter probably hokey but with some good organizational tips for treating the planet, others and yourself with unconditional universal love...
fall far and well Pilots!
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Loremaster wrote:Regeration, the Eye in the Door, and the Ghost Road, by Pat Barker. A trilogy set in Craiglockhart hospital, during WWI.
I love these books. They're all about men yet they're written by a woman, brilliant!

Currently on my own shelf 'The Boning Hall', new and selected poems by Mary O'Malley (2002), who I will, hopefully, get to do a workshop with later this year.

u.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Picked up a couple of non-fiction titles cheap at our local Borders today: Geneen Roth's "Lost and Found" (about the lessons she learned after she and her husband lost all their money to Bernie Madoff), and "The Everything Guide to 2012". This last is in preparation for NaNoWriMo in November....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

ussusimiel wrote:
Loremaster wrote:Regeration, the Eye in the Door, and the Ghost Road, by Pat Barker. A trilogy set in Craiglockhart hospital, during WWI.
I love these books. They're all about men yet they're written by a woman, brilliant!
Just wanted to chip in that I absolutely love this trilogy too. I remember discovering it whilst traveling in Germany and screaming inappropriately-out-loud when I found the final book, The Ghost Road, in English, at a train station bookshop on the way to board a 20hr flight!
I read all of Pat Barker's stuff after this; nothing quite hit the heights of Regeneration Trilogy for me, but I suspect that was partly because the subject matter of RT appealed greatly.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Bought graphic novel memoir Fun Home by Alison Bechdel yesterday.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Following from recent reading (see above), today I ordered Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel. Or, I guess, pre-ordered, since it apparently isn't out in the UK until the end of the month (Waterstones didn't mention anything about that on the order page, so /shrug).
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

In gen lit:

- We Have Always Lived In The Castle, by Shirley Jackson
- Lets Pretend This Never Happened, by Jenny Lawson
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm Murrin wrote:In gen lit:

- We Have Always Lived In The Castle, by Shirley Jackson
I quite like that. I like all the Shirley I've read [which off the top of my head is only 2 novels, that one and The Haunting of Hill House...and of course short story The Lottery.]

Wife got me Ayn Rand's "We the Living" for xmas cuz I'm always arguing about "Atlas Shrugged" with a Prof. in her department.
So it's a new [to me] book, but an old world.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Let's see... For Christ's mass I got three novels by Gabriel Garcia Marquez:

Crónica de una muerte anunciada
Del amor y otros demonios
El amor en los tiempos del cólera
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think I've bought myself about 40 books, mostly 2nd hand, in the last couple of weeks.

Mostly sci-fi or fantasy really.

--A
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

In a YA mode. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Something I just noticed about the edition I got (the 2012 film promo ed): the author's name is tiny. They're clearly not interested in promoting Yann Martel, only the book in itself, thanks to its reputation and film tie-in...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm Murrin wrote:Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Something I just noticed about the edition I got (the 2012 film promo ed): the author's name is tiny. They're clearly not interested in promoting Yann Martel, only the book in itself, thanks to its reputation and film tie-in...
:lol: I think that's a fairly accurate assessment. Even before the film, it is spoken of as merely 'Life of Pi'. I remember a few years ago talking to someone who had read and loved it. When asked who wrote it, he responded "I....am not sure..."
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Very interesting. I couldn't have told you the author off the top of my head, and I read it long before there was a film.

Of course, I didn't like it much...

--A
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

I didn't like it much either, but I usually keep this quiet as everyone seems to upper case love it. The ending didn't work for me.

On topic, I've been a very bad girl. And I've also bought a bunch of books lately, mostly 2nd hand or remaindered and mostly sf or fantasy, except for a bunch of classics and some contemporary lit and... I can't be arsed to name the titles but I look forward to lying on my arse and reading them.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”