A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Enders Game movie, 2008

Post by iQuestor »

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

OSC is writing the screen play?

Does anyone know of the director?

If it remains true to the book (c'mon OSC), Beorn is going to be one happy camper.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

It's been sorta definitely coming but up in the air as to how soon for a while. They had another guy doing it, but either he decided not to or he was doing a not so good job, because Card ended up opting to take over. I don't know of any info on casting or whatever.

Card isn't my favorite author, but I think this has the potential to be a really good, solid film. I'm pretty optimistic :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's been followed as closely as I think it can be followed at Aint It Cool. Their search engine is bad, but you can probably find stuff as ENDER is a good keyword.

I'm excited ... the story is short enough and has enough resonance to be a powerful movie.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but don't get your hopes up. I have been watching Ender's Game on IMDB since 2004 or so, and it never gets out of......wait, its in PRE-PRODUCTION! It has moved up a slot! WOW!

Normally, I would just watch them add year after year while the status remained unchanged (in discussion stages).

Wow, am I glad I looked! Thanks! :D

Yes, I like Card's work, just not his personal ideologies. But I have to say that the Enderverse is one of my favorite places to be. :)
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

By the way, the director has done some good, and some crap. Enjoy the list:
Poseidon (2006)
Troy (2004)
The Perfect Storm (2000)
Air Force One (1997)
Outbreak (1995)
In the Line of Fire (1993)
Shattered (1991)
Enemy Mine (1985)
Unendliche Geschichte, Die (1984)
... aka The NeverEnding Story (UK) (USA)
Boot, Das (1981)

Really liked Das Boot, as well as Enemy Mine. I'm not sure if it is the same NeverEnding Story, but wasn't a big fan. I think Air Force One was when I decided I was probably done being a fan of Harrison Ford. And I never heard much good about his more recent offerings, but I never saw them so I can't say.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Shattered with Tom Berenger, Gretta Scarchi and Bob Hoskins is one of my favorite films of all time (kinda like Peck's Mirage)!!!I thought The Perfect Storm did justice to the book and I really enjoyed the book.
In the Line of Fire was a good movie.
fall far and well Pilots!
Dagon
Giantfriend

Post by Dagon »

There's a lot of crap, though....

Poseidon?? *shudder*
“I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.”
-Sri Sathya Sai Baba
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I think Card is a fair author, but like Lady Revel, I don't care too much for his personal ideologies. *shrugs*

Maybe the movie will be good. . . if it is ever released. :)

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Don't hold your breath. The Ender's Game movie has been the source of conjecture and jokes over at the Hatrack River Forum, on OSC's website, for years. At first, everyone was excited, now, it's the joke about something that will probably never happen.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Card's early writing was amazing, and he is an excellent short story writer (try Maps in a Mirror, his collection of short stories). My feeling, though, is that he has long since jumped the shark in his most recent work. It's just not innovative and cutting edge, like his early work was.

And, yeah, I detest his political views, but he does seem to be a nice enough guy in person.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

I think the movie is coming out at the end of this year. Wow. It all takes place at once, so the kids do not age....In the book Ender goes to battle school at 6? and does his thing at 12-13. In the movie, Ender is a consistent 13. Not sure how well that will go over....

Harrison Ford is Hyrum Graff.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Lady Revel wrote:I think the movie is coming out at the end of this year. Wow. It all takes place at once, so the kids do not age....In the book Ender goes to battle school at 6? and does his thing at 12-13. In the movie, Ender is a consistent 13. Not sure how well that will go over....

Harrison Ford is Hyrum Graff.
And it has Ben Kingsley, too!
I kinda like that it's partly sharing material about Bean from the E. Shadow book. [cuz I liked Bean a lot]

I don't mind it focusing on just the end parts, as long as they make it clear that the kids have been at the school for years...
Cuz I'm really, really, really tired of the "I/we must defeat the evil/get revenge! I/we will become GOD-LIKE in 6 months and DESTROY THEM!" thing.
Really. I am sick of it.
I swear.
It is stupid.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:
I don't mind it focusing on just the end parts, as long as they make it clear that the kids have been at the school for years...
Cuz I'm really, really, really tired of the "I/we must defeat the evil/get revenge! I/we will become GOD-LIKE in 6 months and DESTROY THEM!" thing.
Really. I am sick of it.
I swear.
It is stupid.
'We're going to need a montage.'*

u.

*P.S. u channels null :lol:
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

'We're going to need a montage.'*
Okay, that was freaking awesome. :bwave:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm not watching it. Casting looks terrible. And Mazer Rackham was a Maori...Ben Kingsley doesn't cut it. And Anderson is a woman.

--A
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

I do not have your willpower, Avatar. I will go see it, no matter how bad it is. I will not be able to help myself.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The best parts of the book were the ones that showed his slow progress. Character sympathy was built out of the fact that he was so damn young, the classic underdog, and yet still kicked everyone's ass. The end was good, but it's meaningless without what came before. I don't see how to do this movie by focusing on the end with a character who doesn't age, despite the great and awesome powers of The Montage.

But maybe they just couldn't find a good enough 6-yr-old actor. After all, Phantom Menace ...
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:The best parts of the book were the ones that showed his slow progress. Character sympathy was built out of the fact that he was so damn young, the classic underdog, and yet still kicked everyone's ass. The end was good, but it's meaningless without what came before. I don't see how to do this movie by focusing on the end with a character who doesn't age, despite the great and awesome powers of The Montage.

But maybe they just couldn't find a good enough 6-yr-old actor. After all, Phantom Menace ...
I agree about the best parts of the book. There are a few reasons, but what you say is the primary...in fact, one of the best things probably, cuz I still remember it now and haven't read it in over a decade, is the thread involving Ender and lethality [what leads to that, what he tries to do, how it is "resolved."...sorry if that ain't clear, trying not to spoiler.]

I think they can make quite a good movie with mostly the end, under my initial conditions...
But no, it won't/can't be as good/the same as the book.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I think they'll probably want to give more time to the end of the story (it feels very brief in the book) because of the action involved. If they want a space opera element in the film they'll need to spend a significant amount of time on it. Although the action in the early part of the book is stretched over a six or seven year period I think that it could be concentrated without montaging. IMO, Ender's character doesn't really change that much from the start to when the later action happens; he's so advanced (similary Valentine and Peter) that he behaves like an adult right from the start.

Because so much action happens in the Battle School anyway it should be possible to give a good sense of a significant amount of time passing without sacrificing too much of the atmosphere of the story.

Or maybe I'm just an optimist :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yes you are. :D

The movie will be Battle Room, "Simulator" and the last battle, and that's probably it. A bit in between showing how much smarter he is that the teachers, and maybe a few segues to Peter and Val whipping up public sentiment.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”