How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Bought myself a tablet computer, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1". Big screen not great for twitter, it turns out, but better for webpages and videos.

Also, I can see now why 7" tablets are popular - it is pretty bulky and heavy to hold.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Realised a little while back that I had a folder full of books on my computer. They were all legally obtained - most of them were given away for free by Tor.com when they first launched their email newsletter. I just never read them, and kept forgetting they existed.

So now I'm loading them all up into an ereader app on the new tablet.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Summer is over!

And now some climate statistics from your friendly Watcher down under. This is what happened in my city:

December 2012:

Highest Maximum Temp: 32.9C (91.2F)
Lowest Maximum Temp: 15.1C (59.1F)
Mean Maximum Temp: 22.5C (72.5F)

Highest Minimum Temp: 16.9C (62.4F)
Lowest Minimum Temp: 7C (44.6F)
Mean Minimum Temp: 12.2C (54F)

Total Rainfall: 22mm (0.9in)

January 2013:

Highest Maximum Temp: 41.8C (107.2F)
Lowest Maximum Temp: 18.1C (64.6F)
Mean Maximum Temp: 23.9C (75F)

Highest Minimum Temp: 23.4C (74.1F)
Lowest Minimum Temp: 8.9C (48F)
Mean Minimum Temp: 13.1C (55.6F)

Total Rainfall: 11.4mm (0.4in)

February 2013:

Highest Maximum Temp: 35.7C (96.3F)
Lowest Maximum Temp: 15.5C (59.9F)
Mean Maximum Temp: 23.5C (74.3F)

Highest Minimum Temp: 18.6C (65.5F)
Lowest Minimum Temp: 6.8C (44.2F)
Mean Minimum Temp: 13.8C (56.8F)

Total Rainfall: 23.4mm (0.9in)

Thanks for reading :D Stay tuned for the next exciting installment: What happened in winter (I'll need until September to prepare....)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Isn't it a bit soon? Autumn equinox is the 20th...

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

It's day 5 without heating or hot water. The boiler man is coming betwen 12 and 3 (he just rang). My cold is getting worse again, 12 days now since it started. If he can't mend it I've arranged to go to my son's to have a shower and wash my hair. Please, everyone, send good vibes to help the boiler man! :(
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Iolanthe wrote:It's day 5 without heating or hot water. The boiler man is coming betwen 12 and 3 (he just rang). My cold is getting worse again, 12 days now since it started. If he can't mend it I've arranged to go to my son's to have a shower and wash my hair. Please, everyone, send good vibes to help the boiler man! :(
Keep and eye on your pipes.......also your plumbing :LOLS: Feel better and enjoy the shower.

Da' crocuses r coming, da' crocuses r coming!!!!! Yay!!
Last edited by lorin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Avatar wrote:Isn't it a bit soon? Autumn equinox is the 20th...

--A
I feel like we've talked about this before - probably a few years ago, and maybe on the hangar... Summer is December - February inclusive in Oz. Since 1 March, we have been in Autumn.

Io, hope that hot water turns up soon!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hooray! We have heat and hot water! It was the circuit board apparently.

:banana:

Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

:nanaparty:

Having heat and hot water must feel absolutely luxurious! Yay!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Lady Revel wrote::nanaparty:

Having heat and hot water must feel absolutely luxurious! Yay!
The heat is lovely. Haven't tried the hot water yet. :D

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

StevieG wrote:
Avatar wrote:Isn't it a bit soon? Autumn equinox is the 20th...

--A
I feel like we've talked about this before - probably a few years ago, and maybe on the hangar... Summer is December - February inclusive in Oz. Since 1 March, we have been in Autumn.
I remember that discussion. IIRC, it's the same in NZ as well.

For some reason, I thought South Africa followed suit. Av's post puzzled me precisely for that reason.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, we don't have really "official" dates. Like, mandated I mean.

It's pretty simple...Autumn starts at the Autumn Equinox which is March 20th in the southern hemisphere. The sun crosses the equator, moving north. That's what makes it Autumn. Days cease being longer than nights.

--A
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, I am still in WINTER people. WINTER. Yes, today had 45mph winds and scattered snow flurries. Granted none of the snow stuck but it was in the mid twenties Fahrenheit and when you add in the wind chill factor it felt like it was some of the worst biting horrific wind chapping cold that I've had in a long time. And yes, I love Jeep Vader but he does NOT do well in wind. He's tall and bouncy and about as UN aerodynamic as you can get.

IO, glad you got heat and hot water.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Oh wonderful wonderful warmth! Now I have to get to grips with the cold which has gone "throaty" and lots of catarrh! I can feel the sinuses filling. Staying home the next two days in the WARM, and dosing with Sudafed. Lots of work to catch up on - haven't sat at the computer much since last Friday.

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Io, drink lots of water and make some real chicken soup, STAT.

Just came from an interesting class. I teach high school choir for which I am not exactly qualified, but the school has not been able to attract a full time music teacher after losing ours last year (her mission board made her leave after a couple of church bombings). We are also short a PE teacher/coach. Anyway the school had to let another coach go due to not responding to probation-- I don't know exactly what he did, but he was given a fair chance and chose not to change.

So in Choir class, the students came in all upset and dramatic about it all. I ended up moderating a discussion in which I learned that the fired coach was one of only three people the students feel they can talk to, who listen-- and one of them was me. :) Now there are only 2; me and a young Brit (according to them).

I told them a couple of things, including that being a rule-enforcer was NOT fun; and that the Coach who was sacked had made a personal choice that was now affecting every one of them; they should remember that their personal choices affect everyone around them as well.

When I felt the discussion had run its course, I led the students in a prayer time for the school and the sacked coach, and they really stepped up to the plate.

So I feel amazingly happy (about being an approachable, fun teacher) but also really sad that the students are feeling so frustrated and powerless.

Life is never boring.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Well there's always someone out there to remind you that you are just a puny human. I don't want to fall into depression mode filth so I decided to clean my floors. I left a wet spot I didn't see. Yep, I slipped on it, my leg went out from under me forward and I tore my hamstring. Its detached from my hip. I have never ever ever felt that kind of pain. I felt like the old lady in the commercials "I've fallen and I can't get up!" I can't call an ambulance 'cause the cops will shoot helldog. My old boyfriend came and off to the ER. They gave me zonk meds, crutches and said lets see what happens, maybe it will heal without surgery. Stay off it for 2 MONTHS!!!!!!!!! Can't find an unpainful position to spend 2 minutes never mind 2 months.

:cry:
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Oh, Lorin! What can I say? There but for the grace of God......... I bought a new mop and it leaves the floor very wet so I go skating on bits of kitchen roll. I shall be a lot more careful in future. Hope you can find some alleviation for the pain, and some comfort. It always hurts most when you've just done it!

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Cambo, Io, lorin: :hug: :hug:
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

deer of the dawn wrote:So in Choir class, the students came in all upset and dramatic about it all. I ended up moderating a discussion in which I learned that...
Yayyy, you!!
Yay for you not dismissing teenagers' woes as though they were unimportant or insignificant!
:yourock:
When I felt the discussion had run its course, I led the students in a prayer time for the school and the sacked coach, and they really stepped up to the plate.
Wheeee! :twirl:
lorin wrote:I can't call an ambulance 'cause the cops will shoot helldog. My old boyfriend came and off to the ER. They gave me zonk meds, crutches and said lets see what happens, maybe it will heal without surgery. Stay off it for 2 MONTHS!!!!!!!!! Can't find an unpainful position to spend 2 minutes never mind 2 months.
Lorin! I am so sorry. :(

Io- get well too! I would have been ...I don't know... not a very nice person if I lacked heat will being ill.
I'm sick right now... getting better, but it stinks.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Lorin, that's it, enough trauma for one lifetime. Get better immediately, do you hear me? :rant: ;)

Deer, congrats on being one of the easy-to-talk-to teachers. 8)

I had a horrible Monday. I found out I didn't get the job I applied for, and also got turned down at a popular e-book site when I inquired about placing an ad there. Yes, that's right -- I was going to pay them money and they turned me down. :evil: Anyway, I had a whole rant typed out for it and hit "submit", and got a critical error and lost the whole post. :( Probably just as well. Saved you guys from having to read my whinypants post.

So anyway, today's better. We're smack in the middle of a horrible snowstorm, supposedly, but it's too warm in my little pocket of the region for the snow to stick much. It's been snowing for hours, but I can still see the grass. However, our office is closed. Whoo hoo, snow day! :S

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”