10%
The Eye in the Pyramid - Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
50%

Total votes: 10

I'm Murrin
Are you?

KWBC: Selection for April - The Eye in the Pyramid

Post by I'm Murrin »

The winning selection for April is The Eye in the Pyramid.

It is time to select a book to read in April 2013. These are your nominations:

A Shadow in Summer (The Long Price quartet) - Daniel Abraham
The powerful city-state of Saraykeht is a bastion of peace and culture, a major center of commerce and trade. Its economy depends on the power of the captive spirit, Seedless, an andat bound to the poet-sorcerer Heshai for life. Enter the Galts, a juggernaut of an empire committed to laying waste to all lands with their ferocious army. Saraykeht, though, has always been too strong for the Galts to attack, but now they see an opportunity. If they can dispose of Heshai, Seedless's bonded poet-sorcerer, Seedless will perish and the entire city will fall. With secret forces inside the city, the Galts prepare to enact their terrible plan.

In the middle is Otah, a simple laborer with a complex past. Recruited to act as a bodyguard for his girlfriend's boss at a secret meeting, he inadvertently learns of the Galtish plot. Otah finds himself as the sole hope of Saraykeht, either he stops the Galts, or the whole city and everyone in it perishes forever.
Wool - Hugh Howey
In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo.

Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies.

To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism.

Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside.

Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.
The Magic Engineer (The Recluse Saga) - L.E. Modesitt Jr
The latest book in the saga of Recluce, this is the story of Dorrin of Recluce, blacksmith and scion of the Order magicians, who invents wonderful devices. His insights violate the rules of Order magic, so he must go into exile in the lands of Chaos--where the forces of the Chaos wizards move across the land and whose ultimate goal is the destruction of Recluce.
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
International award-winning author Nnedi Okorafor enters the world of magic realist literature with a powerful story of genocide in the far future and of the woman who reshapes her world.

In a post-apocalyptic Africa, the world has changed in many ways, yet in one region genocide between tribes still bloodies the land. After years of enslaving the Okeke people, the Nuru tribe has decided to follow the Great Book and exterminate the Okeke tribe for good. An Okeke woman who has survived the annihilation of her village and a terrible rape by an enemy general wanders into the desert hoping to die. Instead, she gives birth to an angry baby girl with hair and skin the color of sand. Gripped by the certainty that her daughter is different—special—she names her child Onyesonwu, which means “Who Fears Death?” in an ancient tongue.

From a young age, stubborn, willful Onyesonwu is trouble. It doesn’t take long for her to understand that she is physically and socially marked by the circumstances of her violent conception. She is Ewu—a child of rape who is expected to live a life of violence, a half-breed rejected by both tribes.

But Onye is not the average Ewu. As a child, Onye’s singing attracts owls. By the age of eleven, she can change into a vulture. But these amazing abilities are merely the first glimmers of a remarkable unique magic. As Onye grows, so do her abilities—soon she can manipulate matter and flesh, or travel beyond into the spiritual world. During an inadvertent visit to this other realm she learns something terrifying: someone powerful is trying to kill her.

Desperate to elude her would-be murderer, and to understand her own nature, she seeks help from the magic practitioners of her village. But, even among her mother’s people, she meets with frustrating prejudice because she is Ewu and female. Yet Onyesonwu persists.

Eventually her magical destiny and her rebellious nature will force her to leave home on a quest that will be perilous in ways that Onyesonwu can not possibly imagine. For this journey will cause her to grapple with nature, tradition, history, true love, the spiritual mysteries of her culture, and ultimately to learn why she was given the name she bears: Who Fears Death?
The Eye in the Pyramid (The Illuminatus! Trilogy) - Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
It was a deadly mistake. Joseph Malik, editor of a radical magazine, had snooped into rumors about an ancient secret society that was still alive and kicking. Now his offices have been bombed, he's missing, and the case has landed in the lap of a tough, cynical, streetwise New York detective. Saul Goodman knows he's stumbled onto something big - but even he can't guess how far into the pinnacles of power this conspiracy of evil has penetrated.

Filled with sex and violence - in and out of time and space - the three books of The Illuminatus! Trilogy are only partly works of the imagination. They tackle all the cover-ups of our time — from who really shot the Kennedys to why there's a pyramid on a one-dollar bill — and suggest a mind-blowing truth.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

AAAUUUGHHHH! Nothing like a tough choice!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I read The Eye in the Pyramid years ago. Only vaguely familiar with the others. Wool looks intriguing.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, it was easy for me. :D Illuminatus is the only one I have. So hooray, I can finally participate.

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm 40 pages into Eye already, so you know how I voted! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think I'm sensing a trend.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Still leaning towards Wool, especially since I lost my Illuminatus! books when I moved. At any rate, I completely missed the last discussion, which you should all be grateful for.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

How so? (You know, I'd be even more interested to hear if you hated the book than if you liked it. ;))
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

I went Wool, how could I not?! :-)

No, I actually do want to read it and I have the omnibus on my kindle. Maybe we'll get it over the line next time. Anyway, I'm currently reading too many books at once so it's probably not a bad idea if I sit this one out. Happy illuminatusing, see you next month.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Psst, Shaun, the Illuminatus! trilogy is available on Kindle. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Yeah I knows. Just got too many on the go at the moment. Would have put them on hold for Wool, not for Illuminatus. <--- One day I will read this, just not today, or any day in April :-)

Cheers for the pssst though!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm Murrin wrote:How so? (You know, I'd be even more interested to hear if you hated the book than if you liked it. ;))
Nah, I liked it. It was a bit Galaxy Quest, a bit Hidden Frontier, and a bit How Much for Just the Planet? If you've only heard of one of those, that's okay - the others are a fan-made TV series and one of the more obscure Star Trek novels.

It managed to highlight just about every issue I have with Star Trek. And that's coming from someone who has written thousands of pages of fan fiction. So, I liked it. In fact, I vehemently agreed with some parts of it. But attempting to discuss it would result in me going off on a wild tangent.

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I'm for Wool, it was one of the best new things I've read in years. I know I'll be re-reading it, and that says a lot.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
greyarea
Servant of the Land

Post by greyarea »

Has the discussion thread for The Eye in the Pyramid been started yet? I can't find it.

Thanks in advance...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Discussion will begin at the end of the month, on the 29th.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

That's a shame, I've all ready finished it :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

So carry on with the rest of them. :lol:

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”