My Thoughts While Reading AATE

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote:Keep in mind while the dissections were done awhile ago, new posts are welcome in *all* of the dissection threads, even the oldest ones on the first chrons.
Can I getta "Hell Yea-a-a"

Beating a horse BEFORE it's dead [or...uh...even read/published] is one thing...
Beating a horse [or beating the people who are beating the horse, or beating the beaters who are bea...well, nevermind] AFTER it is dead...umm...published and read...that's just what we like to do!
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Queen Christine wrote:
Totally love the Swordmainnir, they just make me smile in everything they do and everything they say. I would like someone here to please give me some insight into the part that dealt with the tale of Thelma and Bahgoon and the gift of tongues. The Giants had told the tale of Thelma and Bahgoon to the Elohim. The Giants found great joy and delight in the fact that Thelma tamed Bahgoon and that "they discovered an embattled and extravagant happiness". Giants of course would find joy in a story in which two harsh folk would be able to find love and happiness and have a happy ending. The part of the story that intrigued the Elohim was the coercion of Bahgoon. "They discerned clearly our eagerness - indeed our hunger - for friendship and knowledge throughout the Earth. And they assured themselves that we did not scruple to send our own to apparent woe when we saw no other course."

Ok, so please tell me if I understand that bolded part correctly.... So Bahgoon was a difficult Giant and was always causing trouble. Because the Giants couldn't get Bahgoon under control, they sent him to serve Thelma as a sort of punishment for his offenses. So when the Elohim heard this story, they decided to interpret this specific act in their own way. The Elohim saw this as the Giants are willing to sentence a fellow Giant to a life of woe when everything else they have tried has failed. So back then, the Giants told the story of Thelma and Bahgoon to the Elohim, and in turn were granted the gift of tongues. The Giants mistakenly believed that the Elohim gave them the gift of tongues in exchange for telling the story of Thelma and Bahgoon. BUT, the truth was that the Elohim gave the Giants the gift of tongues in exchange for Longwrath being forced to do their will and kill Linden. Is that right? So the whole thing that makes the Giants mad is that the Elohim caused them to believe they were being given a gift for TELLING A TALE but actually they were being given a gift because they were unknowingly handing over a future Giant to the Elohim to use as a killer? Thanks for any insight. I feel like I 'got it', but a part of me feels like I am missing something.
I don't have the book with me right now, but that's about how I understood it. Haughty bastards. The language the Giantesses use can get perplexing every now and then. There was one joke from Stonemage I had to read three times before comprehending it, something in the lines of "She will not [fall into magical glamor]. Her natural bewilderment excludes other confusion." Ie. the object of talk is inherently too stupid to be mesmerized.

Glad to see someone else liking the warriors...they don't get all that much love over here. :/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Queen Christine wrote:The Giants mistakenly believed that the Elohim gave them the gift of tongues in exchange for telling the story of Thelma and Bahgoon. BUT, the truth was that the Elohim gave the Giants the gift of tongues in exchange for Longwrath being forced to do their will and kill Linden. Is that right?
Well, that is essentially correct, except for some exceedingly fine points which are rather ambiguous to begin with.
In [i]Against All Things Ending[/i] was wrote:Now we must hear joy in the knowledge that our ancestors were blind to machination and distorted truth. More, we must honor them for a blindness which was in some degree voluntary. So delighted were they with the gift of tongues, and with themselves, that they did not closely examine the proffer of the Elohim.

[...] However, the Elohim misheard the humor of the Giants - or elected to interpret it in another fashion.

[...] Glad, and gladly blind, they accepted the bargain. Only now, when the harm cannot be recalled, have we heard the truth of the exchange. The eagerness of our ancestors to accept the terms, the Elohim interpreted as consent to the unwilling servitude of an unnamed Giant in a distant and uncertain future. Involuntarily misled," she stated harshly, "or perhaps voluntarily, our ancestors condoned the sacrifice of Lostson Longwrath’s life to any use which the Elohim craved."
First, it seems to me that Ironhand is leaving it an open question as to whether the Elohim mistakenly or intentionally heard a promise in the tale, and also whether the Giants were deceived or agreed knowingly.

The Giants are ever willing to give the Elohim the benefit of the doubt, it seems to me. "The Elohim are what they are."

Secondly, it seems to me that they may not necessarilly have had a specific Giant in mind - just an option on one, which could be cashed in when needed. Again, the story is related in such a way that it's a bit ambiguous on this point.

I do agree that pulling in Baghoon and Thelma was wonderful.
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Post by Queen Christine »

Savor Dam wrote:Some of your questions get answered in AATE. Others will have to wait for TLD. I am not saying which. RAFO!

Sorry, your highness...but that's as far as I am willing to go.

OK, here's a freebie. A question you have previously asked elsewhere, but did not re-ask just now does get answered in AATE. :biggrin:

LOLOL *runs off to view my other posts to see which question I didn't re-ask* HA!
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Did'ja find it? If so, have you read far enough to have the answer?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Ah Savor Dam, cruel you are, so very cruel. haha! I posed quite a few questions in that thread that I neglected to post here. But I shall RAFO!

Thank you Vraith, at least I know some explanations are coming. I cannot wait to finish the book so I can get your input!

Menolly, that is awesome about the Dissecting the Land sub-forum! I am so going to do that right now. I spent a lot of time in the ROTE and FR forums devouring everyone's thoughts and ideas. But I have purposefully not looked at anything in this AATE forum. I won't even allow myself to glance at the titles of the threads just in case something gets spoiled. Thanks for the heads up!!! And I'm glad you mentioned that new comments are welcome in threads that are really old. I was hesitant to bump up old threads that might have been redundant to long time members.

Frostheart, I love the all the Giants, so lots of love here for my Swordmainnir!

Thank you wayfriend! That made sense!
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Savor Dam wrote:Did'ja find it? If so, have you read far enough to have the answer?
Ok Savor, here I go, LOL!

Here is what I asked before that I did not ask here:

- What is the answer to Caerroil Wildwood's question? (Something tells me this will be one of the very last things we find out in TLD and is possibly going to be the meaning of the entire series. So I don't think this is going to be revealed in AATE.)

- Is the Harrow truly evil? What is his intent? (Well, I don't know if the Harrow is truly evil yet. And honestly, Esmer said something along the lines of 'something that begins evil doesn't have to end that way' or something like that. BUT, BINGO! I DO know what the Harrow's intent is! He wants to get Jeremiah to build something so he can trap the Worm so it can't destroy the Earth. So THAT was answered! :D )

- Are the Masters ever going to stop being jerks?! (Hmmmm, not answered yet. And honestly, they aren't actually being jerks, just very rigid in their beliefs. But I still reserve the right to say they are being jerkish at times!)

- Are the Sandgorgons going to be a problem, and if so, what are they going to do? (Not answered, although I think they will wreak some havoc and have to get dealt with. I will be VERY sad if things turn ugly. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the relationship Nom had with Covenant, Linden and Grimmand. I just thought it was sweet to see the beast tamed and how he helped dig the ditch to douse the Banefire. I would hate if the whole Unbeliever/Sandgorgon bond is ruined.)

- What is up with Lostson? Does he have Earth Sight and knew Linden was about to wake the Worm, so he was trying to kill her in order to stop her? Or is Foul behind his anger and desire to slay her? (BINGO! I know that the Elohim caused Lostson to seek and destroy Linden. :D )

Edit *Holy hell, I hate typos. Really, I seriously said 'reek havoc'. :oops:
Last edited by Queen Christine on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Just as Dori in Finding Nemo says "Just keep swimming", I have to tell you "Just keep reading."

By the way, I am trying to win 2012 Kindest Watcher. Calling me "cruel you are, so very cruel" does not exactly conduce to that end. Much as I do not agree with "pimping the vote", I have to encourage you to do penance by registering to vote in the Watchy forum and vote in as many categories as you might choose to.

Note that I did not ask for any specific votes from you...but votes for me and any alts of mine you might discern are appreciated.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:By the way, I am trying to win 2012 Kindest Watcher. Calling me "cruel you are, so very cruel" does not exactly conduce to that end. Much as I do not agree with "pimping the vote", I have to encourage you to do penance by registering to vote in the Watchy forum and vote in as many categories as you might choose to.

Note that I did not ask for any specific votes from you...but votes for me and any alts of mine you might discern are appreciated.
*tsk*
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Being *tsk*'ed by the all-time "pimping the vote" champ...and the person who nominated me in the category mentioned in my post...does not exactly count as being callled down for unacceptable behavior, nu?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Queen Christine
Stonedownor

:LOLS:

I shall do my penance once my time in the Dissection forum is complete. Gotta do my civic duty. LOL
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm glad to see that Menolly pimps forums other than her own. ;)
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

If you're interested in an AATE dissection, I did one (with a few others) here:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20057
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Queen Christine wrote: I love the all the Giants, so lots of love here for my Swordmainnir!
Stone and Sea, she's the Ironhand in disguise! 8O
Sly ol' sneak; should have suspected somesuch shenanigans. Always claims how solemn and regal she acts...giantish aristocracy...as if such an oddity e'en exists...grhbhrrmhrrh...

Now, is this turning into a pimping thread? :P If so, null will be along shortly. :P

Oh, and Foul could 'reek havoc' just by standing in one place.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dlbpharmd wrote:I'm glad to see that Menolly pimps forums other than her own. ;)
Always.

You should check out the The say hello in here thread and the individual introduction threads in The Summonsing. I try to link to forums and threads of interest to the n00bs in my welcome post, if they post what their interests are.

[Apparently I'm the concierge of the Watch...]
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote: [Apparently I'm the concierge of the Watch...]
Not unless you are paid, expensively dressed, and can arrange....ahem...clandestine socially frowned upon/winked at experiences...for an appropriate tip, of course...knowledge and discretion are expensive!

Otherwise, you're just that weird dude[ette] handing out flyers on the streets and constantly getting shoo-ed away by the doorman.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I am so tempted to comment in response to that, Vraith...
:goodnevil:
But in this case it is better for all involved for discretion to win out over knowledge. I'll say only that Luci was the first to refer to Menolly as the concierge of the Watch...and I will continue to do so until a better candidate emerges.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:I am so tempted to comment in response to that, Vraith...
:goodnevil:
But in this case it is better for all involved for discretion to win out over knowledge. I'll say only that Luci was the first to refer to Menolly as the concierge of the Watch...and I will continue to do so until a better candidate emerges.
My interpretation of that is:
"So at some Elo-fest or similar gathering, Menolly hooked a bunch of people up with Pot, and some folk got lucky."
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

You're not even warm on that guess, Vraith. The only substances Menolly deals at Elohimfests are bratwurt and key lime pie...admittedly, both highly addictive.

Lucky? Well, the key lime pie she offered me as a housewarming gift once upon a time certainly qualifies there...but that is a story for another time and another thread. We've drifted this thread quite far enough.
:3M:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Against All Things Ending”