What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

I have dug up two books by Charles Williams, War In Heaven, and All Hallows' Eve. He was a friend of C.S. Lewis' and J.R.R. Tolkien. He wrote quite a number of SciFi/Fantasy books before his rather unexpected death in 1945.

The books are interesting. But they do seem very much a part of their era. I wouldn't say that Williams wrote "timeless" classics.
Heroine of the Dragon

Post by Heroine of the Dragon »

Hi... I'm a newbie here!!!

My current reads at the moment include George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire"... I read voraciously! Devouring books regularly. "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" would have to be amongst my fav reads of all time! :D
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

I just finished The Fall of Atlantis, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Now I'm re-reading The Forest House, Lady of Avalon, and The Mists of Avalon, because while reading FoA I discovered that it is (sort of) a prequel to the others.

Did that make any sense at all? :?

~Foamy~
Bannor
Giantfriend

Welcome

Post by Bannor »

Welcome Heroine! I am pretty new myself.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Vains lack of eyes

Post by Prince of Amber »

Offcentre and everyone else - sorry for the mix up with Vains eyes, he was the pinicle of the Ur-Viles work and they must have finally worked out how to do eyes. :oops:
I've just finished The Power that Preserves and I remembered we had a thread on favorite bits from the books, I love the bit where Covenant casually walks up to the warped guard outside Fouls Creche, trying to whistle and look nonchalant, made me laugh.

Hi Danlo - I think Neverness has just been published over here in a new range of classic paperbacks (the first chronicles are also in the range - all in the same plain dark blue covers) I'd be happy to send you a copy p.m me and we can work out the details.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Hi Heroine

Post by Prince of Amber »

And welcome - have you (or anyone else) read books by G.R.R.Martin other than the 'Songs of Ice and Fire'? I would be interested in any reviews of his other work.
danlo
Lord

I'm TOTALLY BLOWN away!!!!

Post by danlo »

:D Thank you VERY much Prince of Amber!!!!! I just recieved the copy of Neverness u sent! All the way from Bristol!!! I'm the happiest pilot this side of the universe!!!! God I'm SO glad I found KW: I've met some of the greatest folks in the WORLD here--thanks again! :D :D :D :D :D :D
fall far and well Pilots!
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

hmm

Post by arwenavery »

im reading a few books at the moment , mordants need , a man rides through , the two towers ( rereading !!:)) Dune , and the lost tales of middle earth part two .......but if theres anyone out there whose read Sylvia plaths , the bell jar , please agree with me .....this book will change the way you view everyone ,including yourself for a long time to come , .....even more ( and this is a big step for me!!) inspiring than paul coelchos the alchemist
danlo
Lord

I'm a Neverness junkie...

Post by danlo »

So much 4 my xtensive reading list! Even since I recieved that new copy of Neverness from PofA that's all I've been reading! I have, believe it of not, read the Bell Jar--but a long time ago--I knew bunches of "hippy" girls who were all reading it @ that time who started walking around in "gloomy" phases all very deeply introspective...a few were in deep depressions and a few even considered "offing" themselves after they read it--very good book, but dangerous (and this advice coming from a guy who wanted 2 cut off 2 fingers and walked around in a blue funk 4 15 years after 1st reading TCTC! Sheesh!!!). :roll: :? 8)
Last edited by danlo on Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

Post by arwenavery »

youd think the hippy girls would learn........humpf anyeway :)

im reading a collection of tolkiens letters and daughter of regals at the moment . its great when you find more out about an author like tolien , i thought he was more like gandalf , turns out not so:)

out of curiosity what was the last thing that donaldson published??? and when???
danlo
Lord

Last thing SRD published

Post by danlo »

The last thing SRD published was The Man Who Fought Alone, It's the 4th book in a series he's had going 4 a long time under the psuedonym of Reed Stephens (which is actually sort of his middle and 1st name twisted around)--it's the 1st book in this series he published under his real name. It's a detective/mystery series set in the real world. Fought Alone was published in 12/01.
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

If you want to see that big ugly vein on Danlo's forehead pop out ask him who Reed Stephens is?

You'll see what I mean if you click this link: Information on new SRD Novel in October

You can also read about SRD's Mysteries on the Reed Stephens Discussion
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

who is reed stephens???

Post by arwenavery »

only messing!!!!

ive been loking around in all the book shops and libraries , cant find sight nor sound of reed stephens.....???

would his books have been published in ireland??

started the return of the king this week ..and dune is getting more complicated the more i read on ( im just not a sci fi chick!!_)

otherland

Post by Guest »

I thought I might venture out of the mordant's need discussion and see what is going on!I have read all 4 Otherland book and loved them.It's a while back now but I thought they were great!!!!! !Xabbu and Renie were fab.It was a bit of a slog at times but I didn't realise how attached I had got to the characters(Orlando and Sam were another two)until the last book and everything was getting wrapped up.It did remind me of "The magic far away tree"by Enid Blyton.Don't know if anyone ever read that.But at the top of the tree was a ladder into the clouds and every day there was a different land at the top!The amazing thing about Otherland was that ANYTHING could happen and you would believe it coz in VR it was possible!!!!!!It did take about 5 years to get through them all though!!!Well worth the effort!!!!Love SCOTTI
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

blubberous sounds of mournfullness

Post by arwenavery »

just finished the return of the king !!!!! and ive almost given up on dune!!! i might just concentrate on finishing teh book of lost tales 2 , first!!!!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I read The Fall of Atlantis and other Marion Zimmer Bradley books, along with Foamy. :D

I am reading (or re-reading, in some cases) a group of John Steinbeck books along with a reading group at Readerville.com. Last month was Cannery Row, which I enjoyed, this month is Sweet Thursday, which is good, but not as good.

I am re-reading James Joyce's Ulysses along with another Readerville group.

And I am re-reading parts of LOTR, in no particular order. :lol:

And have been re-reading TCTC, in fits and starts. :p

~MsMary~
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

I've recently read 'The NeverEnding Story' by Michael Ende to my daughter, I had enjoyed it as much as she did. Has anyone else read this book?

-pitchwife
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
danlo
Lord

NES

Post by danlo »

Saw the movie--pretty cool! I'm sure the book is much better...
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

WOW!!!

Post by arwenavery »

im half way through the silmarillion ....if there was anything that could contend with my love for tc is my love for the sillmarillion.....i know ive only started reading it ...but it is brilliant..actually i cant think of any words to describe how brilliant it is.....i advise anyone who is in the least bit interested in tolkiens work and who hasnt read this book to search high and low for it......not only does it create abeautiful history of middle earth it gives all those guys in LOTR faces and personalities.....who knew galdrial had like 6 brothers...ignore this ranting and raving...soon i will relax!!!!!!
danlo
Lord

Hyperion

Post by danlo »

right now reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons--very cool - far out in the future Sci-Fi - wild, mysterious, lighting quick murderous being called "The Shrike" - very cool book, will let u know how it goes...

Return to “General Literature Discussion”