The Official KW is turning 12 thread

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Vain
Nom

The Official KW is turning 12 thread

Post by Vain »

I sent out a mass spam email to everybody who is a member to join in on this joyous occasion |V

This thread is for everybody to say Hi and reminisce about your earliest KW memory. :bwave:

Oh and 1000 WGD's to the person who can locate the very first post. The infamous hack of many years ago caused lots of posts to have a 1970 date stamp so it appears to have been lost :(
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I'm not entirely sure if the email spammer worked so please let me know if you received /didn't receive a mail
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Vain wrote:I'm not entirely sure if the email spammer worked so please let me know if you received /didn't receive a mail
nope, nada
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Ayup, I got mine. Kinda spam I like (cue Monty Python).

I'm still too new to be reminiscing about my early days, but while searching for the earliest KW post I came across this little debacle: Tuvor's Store.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Nope. Not in my spam box on the web either.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Bill Assumpcao
Servant of the Land

Post by Bill Assumpcao »

Got it!
:)

Go Hawks,
BillA

edit:
Being a Seattle Seahawk fan, the number 12 has a special meaning. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Bill Assumpcao on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never use a quiet tool...when a loud one will do
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

My fondest memory of Kevin's Watch is getting spam mail from Vain.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I got my spam. :lol:

My earliest memory of *this* incarnation of the Watch is my undying gratitude to Vain for rescuing us from EZ Board. :hearts:

I don't have an "earliest memory of the Watch," per se, other than being delighted to have stumbled into the most wonderful group of people on the internet. And thinking Lady Sky and danlo were amazingly cool individuals who I would probably be great friends with, if I met them IRL. I was right about danlo. :) Never got the chance to test my theory with Sky, however, since we never met. :(

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

OMG! Turning 12!?
Does that mean someone's gonna have to have "the talk" with The Watch?
I mean...I know some "changes" have already been going on, and certain topics have probably been broached in private...

But...I mean...is this is the point when [Arianna] Huffington Post and [The Daily] Beast, even Reason [.com] perhaps start looking at our Watch with a certain glint in the eye, and our sweet Watch starts having....ummm...."feelings" about them?

Edited to add...kinda funny, one of my first memories is, after one of my first few posts, Z...then known as Malik IIRC...said "I like the way you THINK!"

I believe that was well before I got regularly involved in the 'Tank...where he doesn't say that so much any more. :biggrin:
All good though...I [far too often, probably...] find people who agree with me too much a bit boring.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Vraith, you spend enough time in the Tank to know that there are already a few feelings being experienced by the Watch toward those sites.

Few of said feelings are of the tender variety...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I will have been here 10 years this April.

I came on board when the dissection of White Gold Weilder was underway. Somehow we waited 21 years before dissecting that book ... The Last Dark is still drying and it's already underway. Anyway, I immediately loved the process.

I loved Win Wayfriend's Money when it was in it's heyday.

I love that I can go off and write a long piece of critical analysis and someone here reads it.

I love that I can find other's analyses and people put me on to things that I hadn't even thought of. My world just grows and grows. I've been thinking about the Chronicles for decades now and it's not drying up. Here's to the author!

I loved Elohimfest 2, the one I made it to. Here's to 4!
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Messages from the Watch don't go to my spam; rather, they go to a subset of my inbox. I am relatively new, joining only in 2009, so I haven't made a name for myself here yet. I need to quit keeping such a low profile.....
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Vain wrote:I'm not entirely sure if the email spammer worked so please let me know if you received /didn't receive a mail
Didn't get any. Not like I really need one to show up here, but it could be pleasant to see it worked.

Also perhaps it could be good to send something about the dissections, appears there aren't too many people involved.
A role-player, beware
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

My tenth anniversary on the Watch is coming up this June. I joined when I was 14 because my mother finally let me read her books. She, of course, had already been here almost a year by the time I joined and had quickly become a beloved member of this amazing group of people.

Although I am unable to come here very often because real life keeps me extremely busy, the Watch will always have a special place in my heart. I have alot of fond memories.

Happy Anni Kevin's Watch! :letsparty: :nanaparty:
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Some of those early threads are very interesting! Danlo writes in the old "text" style!

I have no idea where the first post would be - here's one that must be getting close - Welcome to the New Kevin's Watch

One of my first memories of KW was before I joined - reading the countdown to what must have been Fatal Revenant. I can't actually find the thread any more, but it must have been dlbpharmd, and someone got an ARC and sent a link to their review of the book, and said it was spoiler free. And someone read it and realised it was full of spoilers and became extremely irate! Hmmm, maybe it was the release of Runes - I can't remember.

I joined in 2007 but then totally forgot about the site until I did a reread about a year later, and then started posting. Menolly, Avatar, variol son, Auleliel, Wyldewode and AjK welcomed me before I was completely overshadowed by the entrance of lorin!! :)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I didn't get the mail, which is odd, because I usually do, and I'm signed up for the mailing list group which was, I thought, a requirement.

12 huh? Leave us not forget that the Watch was already 2 when it moved to this forum, so technically, it's actually 14 sometime toward the end of the year IIRC.

First post on this version of the Watch is here

First still existing one anyway. I noticed the topic number in Stevie G's link was 10. So I changed to it 01 and 02 and got nothing, but found that one on 03.

Everybody who posted there (and several who didn't) were members of the original EZBoard Watch.

In August, it'll be 10 years for me. :D

--A
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh, there was a prize. Give it to Stevie G. He did the work, I just extrapolated.

--A
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

lorin wrote:
nope, nada
I may have to re-invoke the Staff of Spam...which means double the goodness for those who did get it :) I think the spammer had a bit of a melt-down
The Hidden Sandgorgon
Servant of the Land

Post by The Hidden Sandgorgon »

I got the damn spam e-mail !!!! But I haven't read TLD yet so I stayed away from you lot cos I'm sooooooo petrified of spoilers !!! (its almost a phobia)
I have hit myself in the head many times in the attempt to transport myself into an achingly beautiful fantasy land where, despite having mostly just messed around in high school, I'm qualified to be the savior of the entire world.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:First still existing one anyway. I noticed the topic number in Stevie G's link was 10. So I changed to it 01 and 02 and got nothing, but found that one on 03.
Brilliant.

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”