Military Equality?

Archive From The 'Tank
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Military Equality?

Post by Rawedge Rim »

www.armytimes.com/article/20140331/NEWS ... ly-biased-
Black female soldiers say new grooming reg is 'racially biased'

Thousands of soldiers and others have signed a White House petition calling for the president to order the Army to reconsider just-released appearance and grooming regulations they contend are “racially biased” against black women.

The update to Army Regulation 670-1 was published Monday , and among the rules are clarifications for Army-appropriate hairstyles. For example, the Army does not allow twists or multiple braids that are bigger than a quarter of an inch in diameter. The reg also bans dreadlocks of any style, and cornrows must be uniform and no bigger than a quarter of an inch.

Twists and dreadlocks have been prohibited since 2005, but the regulation at the time did not clearly define the specific hairstyles, Army spokesman Paul Prince said.

The new AR 670-1 clearly defines the different hairstyles and gives soldiers specific guidance on what’s allowed, he said. Leadership training released in mid-March, published before the reg was official, includes photos of a number of unauthorized hairstyles , several of which are popular among black women.

“I’ve been in the military six years, I’ve had my hair natural four years, and it’s never been out of regulation. It’s never interfered with my head gear,” said Sgt. Jasmine Jacobs, of the Georgia National Guard, who wears her hair in two twists.

Jacobs, who started the White House petition , said she’s “kind of at a loss now with what to do with my hair.”

The Army defines “twists” as two distinct strands of hair twisted around one another to create a rope-like appearance.

Jacobs said twists are the go-to style for black female soldiers going to the field because it “makes it easy to take care of in the field,” she said.

Her hair is naturally thick and curly, making it impossible to pull into a bun, Jacobs said.

“Most black women, their hair doesn’t grow straight down, it grows out,” she said. “I’m disappointed to see the Army, rather than inform themselves on how black people wear their hair, they’ve white-washed it all.”

In the White House petition, Jacobs calls on the Army to reconsider changes to AR 670-1.

“Females with natural hair take strides to style their natural hair in a professional manner when necessary; however, changes to AR 670-1 offer little to no options for females with natural hair,” she said in her petition.

The changes are “racially biased, and the lack of regard for ethnic hair is apparent,” she further states.

Staff Sgt. Mary Johnson voiced similar concerns on Sgt. Maj. of the Army Ray Chandler’s Facebook page.

“As far as the twists, that really limits females with curly/kinky hair,” she said. “I can’t simply pull my hair back due to excessive knotting. I proudly wear twists in a professional manner every day and only took them down on the weekends. It makes it very difficult for ethnic females.”

Jacobs said she’ll likely wear a wig to her battle assembly because chemically relaxing her hair or putting it up in corn rows is damaging to her hair.

“I talked to my first sergeant, and he said we would [face non-judicial punishment] if we’re out of reg,” she said. “So I either get a wig or be NJPed, all because of the way my hair grows naturally.”

Jacobs said that before these clarifications, black female soldiers had more hairstyle options while maintaining a professional appearance.

“We feel let down,” Jacobs said. “I think, at the end of the day, a lot of people don’t understand the complexities of natural hair. A lot of people, instead of educating themselves, they think dreadlocks and they think Bob Marley, or they see women with really big Afros and they think that’s the only thing we can do with our hair.”

Prince said hair grooming standards are “necessary to maintain uniformity within a military population.”

“Many hairstyles are acceptable, as long as they are neat and conservative,” he said. “In addition, headgear is expected to fit snugly and comfortably, without bulging or distortion from the intended shape of the headgear and without excessive gaps. Unfortunately, some hairstyles do not meet this standard or others listed in AR 670-1.”
easy fix. Let's make everyone in the service conform to one "uniform" standard, and use the male standard.

Men. Keep hair neat, clean and well groomed. Hair above the ears and around the neck shall be tapered from the lower natural hairline upwards at least 3/4 inch and outward not greater than 3/4 inch to blend with hair­style. Hair on the back of the neck must not touch the collar. Hair shall be no longer than four inches and may not touch the ears, collar, extend below eyebrows when headgear is removed, show under front edge of headgear, or interfere with properly wearing military headgear. The bulk of the hair shall not exceed approximately two inches. Bulk is defined as the distance that the mass of hair protrudes from the scalp. Hair coloring must look natural and complement the individual. Faddish styles and outrageous multicolored hair are not authorized. The unique quality and texture of curled, kinked, waved, and straight hair are recognized, and in some cases the 3/4 inch taper at the back of the neck may be difficult to attain. In those cases hair must present a graduated appearance and may combine the taper with a line at the back of the neck.

Or conversely , let men have longer hair and wear earrings while in uniform similar to those allowed females.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

On the one hand the military command is allowed to set its dress code to whatever specifications it desires. They should all count themselves lucky that the mandatory hair style isn't "clipper cut with a 2 guard".

On the other hand, if the command wanted to be generous they could let their black female soldiers submit three hair styles which would work given their hair texture and make the three most recommended the official styles.

Or....those soldiers could quit whining about it and just comply with the regs like they are supposed to. Racist, my foot--the regs are the regs. Comply or quit.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Just shave it all.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:On the one hand the military command is allowed to set its dress code to whatever specifications it desires. They should all count themselves lucky that the mandatory hair style isn't "clipper cut with a 2 guard".

On the other hand, if the command wanted to be generous they could let their black female soldiers submit three hair styles which would work given their hair texture and make the three most recommended the official styles.

Or....those soldiers could quit whining about it and just comply with the regs like they are supposed to. Racist, my foot--the regs are the regs. Comply or quit.
This is the NEW reg. They were fine the old one. This new one has less options on what to do with your hair and although I have no personal experience with the type of hair she describes, I can imagine that very curly hair that grows out, also called the afro, has to have its challenges.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Military hairstyles should be uniform. Having different standards for men and women seems unfair.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

typical. do soldiers really have nothing better to do than fight haircut regulations. yep, we are a world power...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, you know the problem that comes with having a large military without much to do...

--A

Return to “Coercri”