Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Z, you're already (by all accounts) being plenty inconvenienced and killing a bunch of people that might include bad guys or potential bad guys 1,000's of miles away is not making much difference.

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Moving away from that discussion for a second, the subtext of this movie is that the enemy--our real enemy--is already here, hiding in plain sight, and working against all the things we claim to represent. That goes right up to the line of paranoia without actually crossing it. Notice that no particular group is singled out here because this hidden enemy exists in all such groups which are currently in power (or will be in power soon). Juxtapose this with both Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith (are those movies already 10 years old? my, how time flies) and the theme becomes one of an impending internal struggle. Also, consider The Dark World (sorry for spoilers if you haven't seen it), where the enemy (maybe not the main enemy but still at least a non-ally) has insinuated himself onto the throne for his own purposes.

I doubt this will play itself out for real, though, because no one will ever have the nerve to be the side to throw the first punch. That is probably for the best.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Coercri”