What character did you hate

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Waynhim Wedge
Servant of the Land

Anele

Post by Waynhim Wedge »

Anele was a pain in the you-know-what during my first read, but he grew on me in my second reading of Runes. I think I tried to read into him too much and forgot that there are three books to go. I made myself accept the fact that Runes was a total setup book (I mean the last paragraph says it all).

He's going to be my favorite character after all four books are out. I just know it. But right now, thinking that make me nuts! I always love those characters that I originally didn't like. (Triock in the first series. Findail in the second series). Drives me crazy.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Okay, this is starting to brush up against the realm of spoiler-ish. Nothing worth editing yet, but I'd just like to remind people to watch what they say about Runes.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

^What Murrin said^
fall far and well Pilots!
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

WHOOPS! MAJOR apologies to the mods for that! I was all caught up the moment :)
I still say Nassic though. His part was MERCIFULLY short however. :)
¥ NightBlaze ¥
the bourgeois bee
Servant of the Land

Post by the bourgeois bee »

when I first started reading I couldn't stand TC. had to put the book down I hated him so much. Slowly figured out that I wasn't meant to like him and started again. Then TC explains a few things to the Haruchai with good leper's logic and I realised that I hated them. That's what i love about these books, everyone's fallible, everyone's screwing up bad, making promises that cheat death only to find out that those promises have helped ruin everything.
Then i started reading RUNES and now I hate...............
stay tuned ;)
When I learned that the word 'decide' has the same latin root word as 'suicide' and genocide', I started making more choices.
Landroval
Stonedownor

Post by Landroval »

I resented Linden Avery throughout most of the 2nd chronicles. Especially when she had a go at Covenants old friends! That was so out of order!
Even the very wise cannot see all ends.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I like Linden, but I have to agree about that scene. Dumping on Covenant's friends--the only true friends he ever had--was not a very classy move for Linden.
studraver69

Post by studraver69 »

I guess . . . from what I remember . . . and people here generally agree that the Elohim . . . these fruity snobby Elf faeries such as Chant and I suppose the rest of them on the cover of "The One Tree"

who treated the fellowship of the Wild Magic Ring like shit after there long and treacherous journey across the sea . . . with no hospitabiliy whatsoever,

It was as though Galadriel and her cohort would've just said "F-you"

Frodo give us the ring . . .
Matthias
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Matthias »

my thoughts are conflicted...

the elohim were annoying, but not hate-able. they saved covenant from Kasreyn's little "probing" technique and he was able to come back from that so called "silence". I don't see the problem, but what really irritated me was the Appointed...(mind went blank...can't think of his name) when he continued to ask Covenant to give either linden or him the ring. Nuh-uh. Not going to fly, i don't care how you look at me with those sad yellow eyes. :evil: :screwy:

And then there's.....FOUL! everybody's favorite evil bad guy

linden is too pathetic to be hateable. she doesn't deserve hate. everyone hates her...so--? of course, i loathe her attack on (what was his name again?~! dangit!) that haruchai who was about do die?? :x :mrgreen:

[edit] wow...Findail and Ceer...i nearly had an aneurism trying to remember... :roll:
NickS
Servant of the Land

Post by NickS »

Pitchwife. I hated his unfunny attempts at 'humour' and his annoying bonhomie.
Giant Friend
Banned

Post by Giant Friend »

Fist and Faith wrote:Nah, I blame Covenant for that. But Elena... Well, I've said it a few times, as you probably remember. But for the newer members, I'll say it again.

TIW spoiler, btw!!!!

Three characters told her not to do it. Mhoram, who everyone knew was a damned smart guy! Amok, who was a being of power, and who knew Kevin personally, and who was old enough to have seen quite a bit. Covenant, who she thought was so darned smart, who knew a thing or two about power himself. Amok warned her about it, Covenant strongly told her it was a bad idea, and Mhoram told her not to go at all! But, based on her half-assed fantasy that "there is immeasurable strength in the consummation of despair - strength beyond all conceiving by an unholocausted soul," she screws everybody. What a muscle-head!

Still, very well written! She had passion, and the willingness to go to extremes. I love hating her! :D Actually, I guess I pity her.
Funny and so true...except SRD made it clear she was nuts and that it seemed only TC realized it.
Giant Friend
Banned

Post by Giant Friend »

the bourgeois bee wrote:when I first started reading I couldn't stand TC. had to put the book down I hated him so much. Slowly figured out that I wasn't meant to like him and started again. Then TC explains a few things to the Haruchai with good leper's logic and I realised that I hated them. That's what i love about these books, everyone's fallible, everyone's screwing up bad, making promises that cheat death only to find out that those promises have helped ruin everything.
Then i started reading RUNES and now I hate...............
stay tuned ;)
thanx for putting it so well...but Chant and Infelice are wonderfully loathable...where DO they get their hair done?

Post by Guest »

Geez, it has been so long since I read the old books. Many of the names in this thread I am hearing for the first time in a decade or more and had forgotten about them -

Rant Absolain, what a useless pile of garbage. But as has been stated already, he was no more than a puppet and not truly responsible for his decisions.

Chant - who like all the Elohim oozes such puissant arrogance it makes me want to puke...but that is who they are supposed to be so hate them I do not. Also it is hard for me to single any one of them out...to me they are more like a single entity with a multitude of expressions of power whose behaviors seem pre-determined by the intent of the collective...so in a way the individual actions are free of reproach, for the actions have been so ordained by all the Elohim.

Pietten - poor victim of malice beyond his ken...he can be no more held responsible for his later actions than the skest - essentially mindless automations driven by Foul and the power of the Stone.

For me the vote goes to Hile Troy...I am another of those readers who despise him, yet it is hard to say why. Perhaps it is the obviously futile attempt to have more influence than he could possibly handle. Perhaps it is the cowardly betrayal of his Bloodguard...but no, I disliked the character before that happened. Perhaps it was his over-eager embrace of the land, or maybe the motives of his summoner...

His presence makes TIW my least favorite of the books...which is saying something because to me the mission to save the Giants is one of the most compelling sub-plots of the books...the Tales of Tull and Runnik are perhaps my favorite chapters in the whole saga.

LOL, I just read the "Hile Troy what a berk" thread. Nuff said!!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Hmmmm...a tricky one. I'd like to say I don't actually "hate" any character. Some do get on my nerves, but sometimes I tend to think that when I dislike a character it might be more because I see myself in them and I don't like what I see. :)

I'd say Triock. I agree with you Drew. I spent a lot of time thinking "just get over it" Nothing like someone who spends their life obsessing about something they can't have!

I'd also say Liand. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say I think he's a bit of a "puppy" and leave it at that. However, considering there's three books to go he's got plenty of time to redeem himself!

In the context of what I said at the beginning: I wonder why I dislike these characters in particular! ;)
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

My vote goes for Lord Callindrill. What a wuss. He was so busy with his "feelings of inadequacy" that he couldn't carry his share of the load when it came to fighting in the Illearth War.

When he gave up at Doom's Retreat I was hoping someone would yell at him "you wuss!!!!"
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

From your references to feelings of inadequacy and Doom's Retreat, I think you may have confused Callindrill with Verement. Verement was the mate of Shetra who was plagued with self-doubt because his wife was chosen by a Ranyhyn, but he had not.

In any case, what Verement did at Doom's Retreat can scarcely be dismissed as "giving up."
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:From your references to feelings of inadequacy and Doom's Retreat, I think you may have confused Callindrill with Verement. Verement was the mate of Shetra who was plagued with self-doubt because his wife was chosen by a Ranyhyn, but he had not.

In any case, what Verement did at Doom's Retreat can scarcely be dismissed as "giving up."
Heh...I agree with your conclusion.
But I wonder how the heck you just stumbled into something you wanted to respond to that is eight years old?
Maybe it's YOUR fault the one you're responding to has only posted about 10 times in the last 3 or 4 years?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Classic! I love it - I hope MrKABC reads this some time.

I'd say that the only character I hated in the first 2 Chronicles was Thomas Covenant, but only in the first 2.5 books of the 1st Chronicles. I understood why he had to reject the Land, but I hated the way he went about it. Of course, I loved him by the end of the 1st Chrons.

I definitely disliked some of the actions of some characters, but none that I can recall brought about that feeling of hate for the character.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Vraith, my "stumbling" is called thread necromancy.

There was a time when I might have accepted fault for someone's absence, even if it had nothing to do with me. G-ds know there have been periods when I've had people around me who tried to make me believe every bad thing in the world should be laid at my feet...but in the last five years, I have been taught that this is not so.

Todah, bashert... :loveyou:

Finally, since ChoChiyo has returned to the Watch, can MrKABC be far behind?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Chant, Barton Lytton and
Spoiler
the croyel that possessed Jeremiah
are each, in their respective ways, the most obnoxious characters in the series. There was much to be annoyed about with
Spoiler
The Harrow
as well.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”