What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Just finished the second book "The Wise Man's Fear". Waiting on the third. They are very good, but nothing grabs me like Covenant anymore.
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Started and finished ali's Scorched Earth yesterday. As slow as I read, that's saying something. I really enjoyed the basic threat in this one; this is something I believe can be a believable environmental threat anywhere, as long as the physical dangers are ratcheted downward. The comparison in the book to kudzu really helps drive home the point.

I loved the weaving of characters from the universe in this tale, and really enjoyed the climax and denouement. I know we'll eventually return to Sage and others from The Pipe Woman Chronicles, but I will hope, along with ali, that Tess, Darrell, Sue, and Robbie will be seen again as well.

Thanks for the journey, ali!

Onward to Dragonsblood, which is finally in.
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Now that I've finally finished the Last Chrons, I'm not actually reading any fantasy/sci-fi at the moment. I want to get back into Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson at some point, and eventually I'll get around to Malazan as well.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:Started and finished ali's Scorched Earth yesterday. As slow as I read, that's saying something. I really enjoyed the basic threat in this one; this is something I believe can be a believable environmental threat anywhere, as long as the physical dangers are ratcheted downward. The comparison in the book to kudzu really helps drive home the point.

I loved the weaving of characters from the universe in this tale, and really enjoyed the climax and denouement. I know we'll eventually return to Sage and others from The Pipe Woman Chronicles, but I will hope, along with ali, that Tess, Darrell, Sue, and Robbie will be seen again as well.

Thanks for the journey, ali!

Onward to Dragonsblood, which is finally in.
Aww, thanks, Menolly! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Starting on the Hugo voter's packet. Probably with Short Story first, then moving up.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Reading #14 in CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series, the second to last one available. Sigh, I'm actually gonna have to wait in real time for instalments after that, how annoying. (One of the good things about discovering a series twenty years after it started is not having to wait between books!)

Think I'm going to start Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga next. That should keep me busy for a bit.

I also recently read and enjoyed The Kingkiller Chronicles.

P.S G'day Bitches. :biggrin:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, nice to see you around. :D I thought you were gonna read Dhalgren?

--A
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Was I? I was probably going to finish Toll the Hounds too! (I was about halfway through when I got distracted but that was about 18 months ago... whoops :?).

Post by Avatar »

*shakes head* :lol:

I think I re-read all the Malazan and all the ASOIAF books since then. Amongst others. ;)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Finished Todd's first solo venture, Dragonsblood. It's not as bad as I remember. I think the problem I had initially with these books was the repetition of the same time period and events from different points of view. But I've learned to appreciate the different points of view on this reread, so I am hopeful I'll enjoy the rest.

Onward to Dragonheart.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Reading Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross. Other than finishing the last few books of the WoT series, which I'm not going to attempt, this is the last of the Hugo novel nominees I need to read before voting.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Avatar wrote:*shakes head* :lol:

I think I re-read all the Malazan and all the ASOIAF books since then. Amongst others. ;)

--A
I know you did Galactic Milieu and Pliocene twice. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Post by Avatar »

Haha, finished the Pliocene Excile this weekend. :D

Now I'm on Broken Homes, the 4th Ben Aaronovitch book.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Working on A Dark And Hungry God Arises by you-know-who. Having never read the Gap Cycle before, I'm excited to find that they get more intensely interesting with each following book (so far). :read: :cross:
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Cord Hurn wrote:Working on A Dark And Hungry God Arises by you-know-who. Having never read the Gap Cycle before, I'm excited to find that they get more intensely interesting with each following book (so far). :read: :cross:
And as I've said before, they Never. Let. Up. :biggrin:
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Avatar wrote:*shakes head* :lol:

--A
I have read other books too, not sixteen thousand four hundred and thirty seven like yourself, but quite a few others. It's just that this thread is called 'What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?', not 'What fantasy/science fiction books have you read since you promised to read Dhalgren?'. :|

Post by Avatar »

;)

Read Earthseed by Pamela Sargant last night. One of my favourite YA books from the past, and now I'm on the sequels, which I didn't know existed until (lorin?) mentioned them to me here.

So, Farseed now, and Seed Seeker next.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The first few chapters of Neptune's Brood lead me to think that some people nominate for the Hugos based on best science fiction worldbuilding, and not, you know, Best Novel.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Finished Dragonheart. Hope to get to the library to pick up Dragongirl and Dragon's Time.

Dragonheart is one I'm not thrilled with. Character development is good, and I enjoy that, but nothing really happens other than what is planned to happen at the start. Still, it is a good set-the-scene story.

Dragongirl is currently the last of the Pern novels Todd wrote on his own. Dragon's Time goes back to being co-written with Anne. Here's hoping they improve, as I think Dragonheart is the last one I've read before.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”