Different Posting Styles - A Challenge to the Normal Mode

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Different Posting Styles - A Challenge to the Normal Mode

Post by ussusimiel »

It has arisen a number of times over the years that some posting styles have been perceived as annoying and an affectation. Having initially been confused and somewhat annoyed by them, I have come to recognise the more serious intention behind some of them, especially those who consistently use a style over a long period of time.

For me, the main thing that a distinctly different posting style does is highlight the dominant posting norms. I see this as serving an important function, because there is always some aspect of Power involved in the norm, regardless of how widely accepted it is. IMO, anything that draws our attention to this is a good thing.

Idiosyncratic posting styles also raise interesting questions about language, transparency, signification, standardisation, punctuation etc.

u.

[EDIT: to keep the Anglo-Saxon-linguaphiles happy! :lol: ]
Last edited by ussusimiel on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Re: Different Posting Styles - A Challenge to the Normal Mod

Post by TheFallen »

ussusimiel wrote:Idiosyncratic posting styles also raise interesting questions about language, transparancy, signification, standardisation, punctuation etc.

u.
Words fail me.
(As if).

However, am I ever-fated to be the last bastion of all that's good, holy and above all, proper?

It's your language (that's a general "your", not just a ussusimiel-directed one). Cherish it and treat it with the respect that it both deserves and has earned.

(Okay, okay. Tongue in cheek. But not entirely).
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

TheFallen wrote:It's your language (that's a general "your", not just a ussusimiel-directed one). Cherish it and treat it with the respect that it both deserves and has earned.
David Crystal points out that there is a need for language conservatism, or else the core language would mutate so quickly that one generation would not be able to understand the next.

You are serving a noble and necessary function, The Fallen! :biggrin:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote:
TheFallen wrote:It's your language (that's a general "your", not just a ussusimiel-directed one). Cherish it and treat it with the respect that it both deserves and has earned.
David Crystal points out that there is a need for language conservatism, or else the core language would mutate so quickly that one generation would not be able to understand the next.

You are serving a noble and necessary function, The Fallen! :biggrin:

u.
Bah! One generation ALREADY doesn't understand the previous or the next...until the next one suddenly sees itself in the mirror and realizes it's much much closer to a cold slab than cool. [or hip replacement to hip].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Concise language use
Stands out as the virtue of
Certain posting styles
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I honestly thought this thread was about my lake of uppercase letters.

of course my machine autocorrects some of that nowadays.

or could it it be about the ramblings that are sensible to me but lack context for others?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm copying this from the other (less serious) thread that I started in Gen. Disc., as it leans towards the sort of thing I am interested in looking at in this thread.
Vraith wrote:Hah.
Since this [the original question] was directly aimed at me, though I am aware other people have their quirks [lurch spring to mind instantly], I will respond with why I do what I do...[not exactly on topic, but still pertinent]

But first, I like the way people post...I think it tells me something [though not everything, or even lot] about the poster.
Even without that, the variety is good.

Notice the lack of indigo. This has a purpose in this post which I will highlight later with red and size.
I've approached this before in bits and pieces and comments, but I will list it now in a not-necessarily-complete and nearly-corporate-not-essay-like-therefore-easy-to-read-piece-of-junk with possibly-other-divergent-inserts/explanations:

--I stole the color idea from Hashi, and basically the same reason. Quick identification.
--I type as my brain thinks. In chunks, asides, and digressions.
My brain is not the only one that works that way. Everyone's does, to some extent.
--I can/could edit those out. But if I don't use it, I lose it.
--that loss is very often double for me. To edit, I must slow down.
Doing that, I lose not only what I edited, but things that might sprout, chain, or explode from them.
--the brackets, ellipses, slashes with multiple word chains, etc. are shortcuts I have ingrained in my fingers for rapid notation, brainstorming, implications to notice or pursue.
--some others ingrained are meant to reflect my inflection as if speaking.
--partly this is and attempt to convey to others. Emphasis MATTERS, even if the rules tell you not to.
--but the rules are for writing. This place, to me, isn't about writing. It's more conversation.
--this is also related to, as I said to Ali recently, the fact that I think best when speaking. I don't mean prepared speech, reciting/repeating/presenting. I mean finding/creating new thoughts, ideas, understandings. Where my mouth is already moving and I have no clue what is about to come out of it.
--so I have habits I've put into my fingers as an attempt [only somewhat successful] to enhance thinking by imitating speaking.
--so while I can conform to grammar/structure...in fact have some expertise in it...
--in addition to all the previous, censoring/slowing/editing/adhering follows a progression for me.
--boring, to annoying to enraging.
[ok, enraging is a bit over the top].
--and I'm here for the fun.

----and it WAS fun to put here, even if more "serious" than the thread intended.
[[[I would mention that there's some potential humor tucked away in it....if we didn't all already know, cuz u. told us, that I am never, ever, even slightly funny.]]]
It's an interesting insight into a particular posting style. It shows that the style is more influenced by the poster's engagement with their own thought processes than by the attempt to completely communicate those thoughts to the reader. What this highlights for me is the (fairly obvious) norm, that when we post our highest priority is attempting to communicate our thoughts to other posters. What is less obvious (and maybe even more important) is that to communicate our thoughts clearly we must be completely clear about them ourselves.

My own experience is that the very attempt to articulate them clearly brings the unclear parts into focus, which may end up with me not posting or having to do some thinking or research before eventually posting. That eventual post will have none of the untidiness of the process, but if it did it might look somewhat like one of Vraith's posts.

u.
Are posted on the door,
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote: influenced by the poster's engagement with their own thought processes than by the attempt to completely communicate those thoughts to the reader.

What this highlights for me is the (fairly obvious) norm, that when we post our highest priority is attempting to communicate our thoughts to other posters.

What is less obvious (and maybe even more important) is that to communicate our thoughts clearly we must be completely clear about them ourselves.
u.
That's all part of it. But every part has a second part. In the first snip above, it's already basically included...
Say what I think, yes...but also what and how [and why?] I think it.

The second snip, yes, but also wanting...shit...intelligent prismatic mirrors? reflect that it was received, but other wavelengths, too. Divisions and error corrections.
Relates to the third snip...

Yes, but also there is communication that is NOT about clarity.
It is about disruption.
And, in multiplicity, [cuz 'in addition" is so dead white men] and connected to snip one response...
it isn't only what one THINKS, it is what one IS [for the moment].
And no matter what anyone says, they are not the same thing.
I'm tempted to say that what I think is in the words, but it's only what I am in the brackets, form, other structures and violations.
But that would only be...I don't know...statistically true.

A generalization of all that and all the other things I've ever posted and my ordinary life: I've said this before...I've been a lot of places, done a lot of things, blah blah blah self-stuff [though I haven't been rich yet. I'd like to try that]....it is common that peeps think that I think I know everything.
Well FUCK YOU you MORONS...:)
I'm just bio-chemically wired for intensity [for lack of better word], stacked on top of WANTING to know everything. In many ways, it's valuable...but also volatile. And creates false impressions. [or true impressions for false reasons. And vice versa.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Even disruptive communication should be clear. :D

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:Even disruptive communication should be clear. :D

--A
That clearly shows your thinking is disrupted.
;)

And it is clear...for my purposes.
Just not clear in the way that peeps like u. and TF and Z can be/usually are.

And if y'all think it's troublesome NOW, you should feel thankful
that I type so damn slowly.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

I've been thinking and researching this topic a bit and while I haven't been able to come across exactly what I want (the limits of the transparent posting style), I did start to read a bit about Kristeva*. She has interesting things to say about language, structure, society and law.

According to the small amount I have read, one of the things that the structure of language does is keep the chaos of the pre-linguinstic, the physical etc. at bay. Accordingly, any breakdown in the structure of language risks releasing these energies and causing anxiety and unease.

My guess is that regardless of the intentions of the poster, the very presence of unorthodox and disruptive language usage will evoke a strong reaction in readers.

u.

* I have heard of her before, but I didn't study her theories in college as I had a ganseyload of other threories to look at.
Are posted on the door,
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Strong reaction. Yes, one can hope [even if one can't be certain of getting it, or whether it is positive, negative or other]. I'm fairly confident [though there's that narrative thing...] a significant seed/root in mine was the collision of hormones, sparring, and ee cummings.

You should look into Kristeva [I think someone around here likes Kristeva a lot? Maybe Lucimay?]

It has connections with this thread, and with the one on Narrative.

And there is much to be gleaned from the conflict of interpretation and MISinterpretation of her work.

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote:
Avatar wrote:Even disruptive communication should be clear. :D

--A
That clearly shows your thinking is disrupted.
;)

And it is clear...for my purposes.
If your purposes don't include other people understanding you...well...then its just self-indulgent. (Not that there's anything wrong with some self-indulgence.)

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote: If your purposes don't include other people understanding you...well...then its just self-indulgent. (Not that there's anything wrong with some self-indulgence.)

--A
O course it includes that. Just not always [or usually] one thing to understand.
Everything [or nearly] has more than one connection, more than one direction/effect/affect/meaning.
Also disjunctions/non sequitur.

I lke those things. And I think they are important, too...not random or irrelevant.
I mean I could have said above:

"more than one direction/effect/affect/meaning.
Also disjunctions/non sequitur,"
in a different way. To do so would
1) take ten or twenty times as many words to include it all.
2) impact the person reading much differently
3) significantly alter the meaning...in a negative way, IMO.
4) take more time for that lesser result.
5) irritate me by being work instead of being fun. [which I suppose is somewhat related to self-indulgent. I prefer to think of it as avoiding self-flagellation]

And really: most people understand me just fine most of the time.
The things I'm meaning aren't far beyond folk's ability to understand [I'm smart, but not THAT smart, especially among the population of the Watch].

And they're not always, or even commonly, THAT far out of the normal standards/tyranny.

And I, for the most part, keep them fairly short. Most don't have that many words, nor require much scrolling.
Others besides me have their little ways. And most of them are mostly understood most of the time, and are not massive time/space consumers either.

And sometime things are hard to understand simply because they are hard to understand. And the breaking of rules/structure actually helps.

And, directly related to that, I said before I see this all as mostly conversational...yes, of course I'm telling folk what I think. But I'm also asking what THEY think.
And only part of my little ways is presenting things in a way for y'all to understand. The other part is presenting my own ways/thoughts/struggles in coming to grips with those things.
And quite often that coming to grips is not done, the post isn't my conclusion. It's ongoing during posting, and continues after.

Post by Avatar »

:D I never use ten words where twenty will do. ;)

--A

Return to “The Close”