Poet and/or poetry fan needed

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Poet and/or poetry fan needed

Post by aliantha »

So at Indies Unlimited, we vet all the books whose authors want to advertise with us. We can handle most genres within the staff. But we've now had a book of poetry submitted, and none of us feels qualified to say whether it's any good.

Would any of you guys be willing to lend a hand? It doesn't usually take more than 10 or 15 minutes to vet a book. Essentially we'd get you the Amazon link, you pull up the "Look Inside", and then tell us whether the book is crap or not.

Thanks! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It's garbage :biggrin:

The reading of poetry can be a very subjective experience, you may want to get a couple of opinions... that way, you might be able to tell if it's at least an honest attempt at poetry or some juvenile, gimmicky self-congratulatory trash.

Let's see if we can get U and V involved!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

As someone who used to get paid for this kind of thing, I would also say that you need a staff. Unless the job is just to reject trash (another man's treasure), in which case anyone can do it.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

If you want an opinion, go ahead and send me the link. :D

--A
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

I'm in too.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

[Syl] wrote:As someone who used to get paid for this kind of thing, I would also say that you need a staff. Unless the job is just to reject trash (another man's treasure), in which case anyone can do it.
Option B, actually. :lol:

Av and Morning, thanks! :) I'll try to figure out how to connect everybody up.

EDITED: Well, that was easy -- Kat posted the link to the book. Just click the "Look Inside" and lemme know what you think. :D

EDITED AGAIN to add the link. :roll:
www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dusk-Norian-F-Love- ... 00NWXT2YC/

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote:
[Syl] wrote:As someone who used to get paid for this kind of thing, I would also say that you need a staff. Unless the job is just to reject trash (another man's treasure), in which case anyone can do it.

EDITED: Well, that was easy -- Kat posted the link to the book. Just click the "Look Inside" and lemme know what you think. :D

I have an opinion.
Do you want it right here? A pm?
I bet I agree with both Av and Morning on this one...a very rare occurrence, but I'd bet good money on it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Vraith wrote:
aliantha wrote:

I have an opinion.
Do you want it right here? A pm?
I bet I agree with both Av and Morning on this one...a very rare occurrence, but I'd bet good money on it.
I would love to hear it, but let's give everyone a chance before we...review... the book :twisted:
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Right here's fine. :twisted:

EZ Board Survivor

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I read the sample poems, but I don't think I'd be comfortable reviewing any of the books in a public forum. At the very least I'd prefer to do it in the Writers' forum.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote:Right here's fine. :twisted:
Ok.
Much as I like to follow Orlion's rules...I'll go ahead. It will give folks some impetus to read it just so they can disagree with me. :)

Bminus if it is written by a high-school student for English class.
Otherwise...
It's bad.
There is one decent line in the excepted part:
I've tasted oblivion on my fingertips

Yes, I think I have...now...in these poems.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It's better than I thought it would be. But, I am still standing by my initial assessment.

It's incredibly juvenile, and too me seems to try too hard. Reminds me a lot of what a poetry student in high school would write to prove how poetic he was.

Now, there is an audience for that, it just is not me.

Final verdict: it's what I would expect from a self-published work of poetry sold for 99 cents on a Kindle.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

ussusimiel wrote:I read the sample poems, but I don't think I'd be comfortable reviewing any of the books in a public forum. At the very least I'd prefer to do it in the Writers' forum.

u.
You can post it there, if you want, or pm it to me.

EZ Board Survivor

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

And thanks a bunch, guys. Another minion knows a poet, and he thought about as highly of this book as you guys did. So it's gonna be a rejection notice, and our work here is done....

EZ Board Survivor

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Rejected. With extreme prejudice.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Noted, Sheriff. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This thread has convinced me that I MUST read this.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

I had a first cousin who joined a boyz band when he was 16, I think, and their lyrics vaguely resounded of this. On the flip side, I could see myself taking the entire thing and rewiring, I mean rewriting :biggrin: it to some extent - it's not ALL bad, just the end result.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Morning wrote:I had a first cousin who joined a boyz band when he was 16, I think, and their lyrics vaguely resounded of this. On the flip side, I could see myself taking the entire thing and rewiring, I mean rewriting :biggrin: it to some extent - it's not ALL bad, just the end result.
:lol: The non-Watcher poet said he thought one of the poems -- the first one, maybe? -- could be a rap lyric.

I haven't looked at the "Look Inside" myself. And having heard from you guys, I expect I'll keep it that way...

EZ Board Survivor

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote: :lol: The non-Watcher poet said he thought one of the poems -- the first one, maybe? -- could be a rap lyric.
Was my first thought. Got that rhythmic feel and a fair amount of feminine rhyme.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”