Question for the well read....

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Kymberlee, I just saw this today. Nor Crystal Tears was written by Alan Dean Foster.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

::shrug::

What about "Man of Two Worlds" by Frank Herbert/Brian Herbert? It focuses on an alien and a human who end up being combined in the same body, whilst jumping back and forth between their different perspectives (they share a body but their minds are still intact).

I don't know that it's exactly what you're looking for but that's about the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow is filled with too many characters to mention, one of which is a lightbulb named Byron whose goal is to free other lightbulbs from their oppressive lives. He's a small character in the book--pretty much a digression. Great read though.

Byron is the only non-human sentient character that I can think of right now.

Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
lhaughlhann
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by lhaughlhann »

duchess of malfi wrote:I read a book more than twenty years ago by Frank Herbert -- not one of his Dune books. I cannot recall the title, but maybe someone else can if I give a brief description.

One of the main characters, from whom we see some point of view scenes, was an alien. One scene I remember vividly was how he was in the water. The water was filled with his offspring, as he and his mate (or maybe mates? can't remember now) had recently spawned. He was eating the babies, as was the tradition for the fathers of his species. They wanted only the strongest of the young to manage to survive.

Danlo? Fist? Other Herbert fans? This sound familiar to anyone?
Yeh, Lurch got it, The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbet Very weird.
"The universe does not give first warnings. Or second chances."

Go-OpenSource
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Piers Anthony wrote a book about a species of beings who are lenses. I read it a very long time ago and didn't keep it, but I have vivid memories of these characters rolling on threads through space. [...searching, searching...]

There it is. It's called VISCOUS CIRCLE. He wrote it while he had cat scratch fever. He made that excuse for its extreme wierdness.

Another author: Jack Chalker did a lot with shapeshifting into other species, especially in the Well of Souls series.

And don't forget ANONYMOUS REX by Eric Garcia. His characters are disguised as humans and doing human things, but in a fabulously dinosaurian way.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Surprise! You're moving to the General Lit forum. :)

BTW, onewyteduck mentioned books told from the perspective of animals... but neglected to mention Black Beauty. This may be (I could be wrong) the original animal POV novel, even though Beauty does come off sounding like a human servant more than a horse a lot of the time. If you haven't read this one, I highly recommend it, if for no other reason than to say that you have, indeed, read it. Kinda like LOTR. ;)
BLACK BEAUTY! EXACTLY what I first thought of Alynna! Good one!
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
Sunder
Stonedownor

Post by Sunder »

uuummm, ive read a few from animal piont of views. Like The Sight, Fire Bringer, The Warrior series, Beast. Sorry i dont have the Authors cant recall their names.
"May Your Swords Stay Sharp!"

"Darkness withers the heart."

"If you desire to know the truth, you must also have the courge to accept it."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Flatland by Edwin A Abbot. A tale set in a two dimensional world occupied by geometrical figures, the narraror of which is a square. [Published in 1884]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

theDespiser wrote:i liked the movie of Watership Down....i tried to read the book but could never really get into it...i dont even remember much about the movie now
Watership Down is my favorite book. I have likely read it a dozen times.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

A few H.P. Lovecraft stories are written from a non-human perspective.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:Flatland by Edwin A Abbot. A tale set in a two dimensional world occupied by geometrical figures, the narraror of which is a square. [Published in 1884]
Hey, I just picked up a copy of that. :D Wondered why it caught my attention. :D

--A

Return to “General Literature Discussion”