What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Linah - Titus Groan is the first book of the Gormenghast series by Mervyn Peake.

In other news, I finally read the second half of The Godless by Ben Peek, which I think I started in November. It's a decent book, although the start of another new epic fantasy trilogy, so not much of a conclusion.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I'm Murrin wrote:Linah - Titus Groan is the first book of the Gormenghast series by Mervyn Peake.
Okay - thanks.
I thought it might still be a continuation of that Gormenghast discussion from earlier.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Avatar wrote:Oh, I'm now reading Oryx & Crake by Margaret Ashwood.

--A
Close. It's by Margaret Atwood. ;) That one's pretty good. It's more or less the middle book of a trilogy, even though it was published first. The Year of the Flood was published second, but its events happen earlier, and I think I liked it better. Haven't gotten around to reading the third book, MaddAddam, even though Amazon tells me I bought it. :oops: Maybe I'd better get on that....

I'm reading a WFC freebie: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. It's YA contemporary fantasy, and apparently the first in a series. I'm a little over halfway through and am ambivalent. I nearly put it aside at about the 100-page mark because the author was still introducing new characters and nothing had really happened yet. I'm reserving final judgment 'til I see how she wraps things up. If it's a cliffhanger ending, I'm going to be severely annoyed...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Linna Heartbooger

aliantha wrote:Close. It's by Margaret Atwood. ;) That one's pretty good. It's more or less the middle book of a trilogy, even though it was published first. The Year of the Flood was published second...
Oh... Margaret Atwood.
I cringed so many times when reading (some of) "The Handmaid's Tale."

Also, I think I vehemently told my book club that I didn't finish it...
(Pretty sure that makes me complicit in the slow decline in which all the people who didn't finish the book each month talked about how they didn't finish the book.
It eventually became difficult for some of us to even admit to reading the whole book in a given book.)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Linah Heartlistener wrote:
aliantha wrote:Close. It's by Margaret Atwood. ;) That one's pretty good. It's more or less the middle book of a trilogy, even though it was published first. The Year of the Flood was published second...
Oh... Margaret Atwood.

Really? that is a book that is so good even a shitty movie of it is still ok. [other atwood is highly debatable]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aliantha wrote:
Avatar wrote:Oh, I'm now reading Oryx & Crake by Margaret Ashwood.

--A
Close. It's by Margaret Atwood. ;) That one's pretty good. It's more or less the middle book of a trilogy, even though it was published first. The Year of the Flood was published second, but its events happen earlier, and I think I liked it better. Haven't gotten around to reading the third book, MaddAddam, even though Amazon tells me I bought it. :oops: Maybe I'd better get on that....
Loved that trilogy.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Vraith wrote:
Oh... Margaret Atwood.

Really? that is a book that is so good even a shitty movie of it is still ok. [other atwood is highly debatable]
I don't love all of her books. ;) But The Handmaid's Tale is a classic. I have friends my age who are adamant that it ought to be required reading for every young woman today. What made you put it down, Linah?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Wildling wrote:
Orlion wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote: So far the Way of Kings has been an outstanding set
I liked The Way of Kings, but I imagine Wildling is listening to the audio... which I imagine would be confusing!
You imagine truth.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep going with it or not. Tonight's drive will be the key. If it's not making any sense by the end of tonight's run, then I move on to something else.
The decision has been made. The Way Of Kings has been put aside for a while in favour of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh... Margaret Atwood.
Hahaha, dunno how I typed that instead. Anyway, I'm enjoying it. More than The Handmaids Tale, although I quite liked that too. And more than I expected when I started.

I know about the other books, the person I borrowed it from has them all luckily.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I intend to get around to the MaddAddam books eventually. I have one of her others, The Blind Assassin, on my pile right now.

Next book I'll be reading is probably The Girl With All the Gifts by M R Carey. Hard to work out what I want/need to read for award consideration, though I know I need to get ahold of The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I enjoyed The Blind Assassin a lot more the second time I read it. Not sure why. There is a lot going on.

I think I was about 12 the first time I read The Handmaid's Tale. There's a quote I refer to fairly often: "Ordinary is what you are used to."

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

Well, finished it and it left me wanting more, so that's good. Unfortunately have to wait 'til Tuesday to get the other 2, so reading Blatty's The Exorcist in the meanwhile.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Finished that and Gemmell's Ironhand's Daughter. Reading the sequel The Hawk Eternal now.

--A
Linna Heartbooger

aliantha wrote:
Vraith wrote:
Linah Heartlistener wrote:Oh... Margaret Atwood.

I don't love all of her books. ;) But The Handmaid's Tale is a classic. I have friends my age who are adamant that it ought to be required reading for every young woman today. What made you put it down, Linah?
I'm thinking there are many kinds of pain and many dark things in the way the world's systems are set up...
But somehow, the evil and the abuse of authority and the apparent helplessness of the women in that story.. just horrified me.
(Maybe that's exactly where I was "supposed" to be.)

I was like, "The situation these women are in is so completely unacceptable... *turns page* ...wait, what? It's even worse than I'd imagined?!"
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Reading Perdido Street Station. It is so wonderfully weird and grotesque! I like it! :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Gemmel's Legend.

--A

Post by Avatar »

The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend.

--A
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams
Linna Heartbooger

Wildling wrote:The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams
That title amuses me... yup, y yup, pretty Douglas Adams.
-Flannery O'Connor

Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Wildling wrote:The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams
That title amuses me... yup, y yup, pretty Douglas Adams.
I am a huge fan of both the Hitchhiker's books and the Dirk Gently Books. He walks that line between absurd and "yeah, that kinda makes sense" like no other author I've ever heard of.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”