The Name of the Wind

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh, there was a thread? :D I just read these very recently, and mostly enjoyed them. Now...waiting for the next one...

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Bizzare. Came to this forum intending to start a thread called - you got it - The Name of the Wind and found this thread sitting at the top of the pile. A work-mate gave me the book to read [the same one that lent me Game of Thrones a week or two ago] and endorsed it with his strongest rcomendation. I'm 100 plus pages in; yes it's good and perhaps getting slowly better - but I'm not 100% convinced. The tone is sort of darkish but not that dark. It started as an adventure and has morphed into an autobiography, but I'm sort of hoping it will move back into a 'here and now' story again [I've got my doubts]. Two people I know have both said it's amongst the best fantasy they've ever read so I'm hoping it will catch me more as it progresses. Time will tell.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

It does at times, but most of it is autobiography, so far at least. :D

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I actually came to resent the here and now stuff after a while. For one thing, it made me realize that Kvothe is a far too reliable narrator.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Post by Avatar »

Well, I do sorta want to see the outcome of the here and now stuff. And he didn't half go on about the university...

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Took a long while but I did finish the book yesterday. Problem was I had a lot of library reservations come in that had to be read in the limited time I have them [and I'm notoriously quick at loosing interest in a book anyway]. I finished it on the basis that I'd been lent it by a lad at work and he clearly wanted to see me read [and enjoy] this book - not perhaps the best reasons. Well yes, it was OK - even good, but I'm not hooked to the point where I am hankering to pick up book 2. in a hurry. I probably will read it at some point, but more in the absence of a better alternative than out of big time desire.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I loved it, noticed there's an alcoholic beverage called "metheglin" in it--SRD made that word up originally no?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:I loved it, noticed there's an alcoholic beverage called "metheglin" in it--SRD made that word up originally no?
Rothfuss has a page about Metheglin, and he includes an etymology.
Pathrick Rothfuss wrote:The name “metheglin” comes from the old English term for medicine. Metheglin was mead with a bunch of herbs in it. Because, as you know, herbs are good for you. [link]
He goes on to provide his ... well ... he calls it a "recipe".

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”