Mr. Robot

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Mr. Robot

Post by [Syl] »

I'm not just saying this because I'm (almost) always a sucker for anything with Christian Slater in it. This show is great. Three episodes in and I'm still not feeling in any way let down.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I too am really loving this show. I hadn't even heard about it until the day it premiered, and I happened to see it listed in the channel guide. Glad I didn't miss it.

Something I've seen theorized around here and there... and I am leaning towards believing it:
Spoiler
Mr. Robot doesn't really exist. We have never seen him interact with any other character. There is one time that a character seems to be talking to him, but he is standing between that character and Elliott, so it could be that they are actually talking to Elliott.

Given the way this show started, with Elliott talking about seeing things, etc... wonder if he's hallucinating Mr. Robot?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, I've wondered about that a couple times, like the moment on the pier (come to think of it, the Ferris Wheel, too). Changes how you look at their reaction in the hospital, as well.
Spoiler
It would need some pretty good explaining to how F- Society got set up, though. Not that Elliott looks to be lacking for cash, but getting everyone there, not knowing them, etc. But it would make Darla's interaction with him make her seem a bit more sane (and it's a kick seeing her in this role after Dahlia in Suburgatory... though now the secret is out that I watched that show... Not that there's anything wrong with that)

There's also the way they seamlessly convinced us that everyone is OK with calling it Evil Corp. I love that
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I loved Suburgatory too :)

The whole "Evil Corp" thing is another thing that leads me to what I posted in my spoiler. Is everyone really calling it that? Or is that just what he hears when someone says "E Corp"?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Pretty sure he said in the pilot that he just hears "Evil Corp."
-George Steiner
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This show is certainly romanticizing hacking a bit. Hackers are the drunken, impoverished, misunderstood-in-their-own-lifetime poets of the 21st century now.

The technology aspects, while better than found in most shows, still exceeds believably from time to time.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The bad news is that the show didn't hold up to the same level as the first three episodes. The good news is that it's still pretty damn good. And yes, Mr. Robot is more or less Tyler Durden (loved the nod with the acoustic "Where Is My Mind" in the background). Had to say that I really didn't see the Darlene part coming until that episode, though.

I wish they'd found a way to keep Shayla and Vera in the show, though.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It seems they put off the finale because of similarities with the shooting in VA. I can respect that.
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Been mostly enjoying it actually, although the main character annoys me for some reason. (Despite having a striking resemblance to a friend of mine. :lol: )

--A
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg »

I've never heard of this, from how y'all are talking it sounds like...Fight Club with computers? Robin Hood with computers?

What is it actually aboot?
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Fight Club with computers is pretty close. With a touch of Breaking Bad.
-George Steiner
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Genuinely loved season 1 and genuinely disliked season 2.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to “TV Shows”