What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Kant's Critical Philosophy: The Doctrine of the Faculties by Gilles Deleuze

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Phillipa Gregory, The Curse Of The King. The rise of Henry VIII from the POV of Margaret Pole, once Margaret Plantagenet.

No opinion yet, just started for lack of something else to read.

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Essays Critical and Clinical by Gilles Deleuze

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Iconoclastic Theology: Gilles Deleuze and the Secretion of Atheism by F. LeRon Shults

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

The Priority of Events: Deleuze's 'Logic of Sense' by Sean Bowden

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Deleuze and the Naming of God: Post-Secularism and the Future of Immanence by Daniel Colucciello Barber

Post by Avatar »

Do you think we're headed toward a post-secular society? Seems to me that secularism is only on the rise...Or is this still something far in the future?

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Avatar wrote:Do you think we're headed toward a post-secular society? ...
Yes, inasmuch as the rise of Trump and of the Alts signify the cultural-currency of Modernity's conceits to be weakening.*

*FTR, I'm not saying that things will be unequivocally better. Just different.

Post by Avatar »

I dunno man, I don't see any sort of religious resurgence. As far as I know, numbers are basically down globally.

(That said, and perhaps but not necessarily related, I'm generally impressed by the pope's apparent efforts to improve the modern relevance of his church.)

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Gilles Deleuze's Philosophy of Time: A Critical Introduction and Guide by James Williams

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives by François Dosse

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Hegel or Spinoza by Pierre Macherey

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

The Universal (In the Realm of the Sensible): Beyond Continental Philosophy by Dorothea Olkowski

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Currently re-reading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

DrPaul wrote:Currently re-reading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy.
Oooh, ooh.. multiple people here being philosophy junkies. :)

For my current reading...
I am nibbling away at "The Raid and other stories" - short stories by Tolstoy.
So far, I've read "Man and Master," "What Men Live By," <3 and "How Much Land Does a Man Need?"

It was cold here and I was miserable when I was started some of them...
...but the stories made me feel like "At least I don't have it this bad!"
(and they made me feel really bad for the cold the characters in the stories were experiencing. and the snow. all that snow. and holes in shoes. and...)
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Voice and Phenomenon: Introduction to the Problem of the Sign in Husserl's Phenomenology by Jacques Derrida

----------------------------------------------
Linna Heartlistener wrote:
DrPaul wrote:Currently re-reading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy.
Oooh, ooh.. multiple people here being philosophy junkies. :) ...
;)

Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Just reread Tobias Hill's The Hidden.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Avatar wrote:Do you think we're headed toward a post-secular society? ...
Yes, inasmuch as the rise of Trump and of the Alts signify the cultural-currency of Modernity's conceits to be weakening.

Which of the kinds of p-s do you mean?
The
"we're gonna [or should] put the secular and religious on a more even footing, engage in tolerant dialogue" school,
The
"we never really were becoming secular, so now we're gonna stop pretending and deal with the issues from a different stance" flavor,
or the
"We're already secular in the important ways, so we have to keep evolving it or die out like any other perspective" color? [[[heh...don't answer, not what this thread is for. It just amuses me, the conflicting definitions/usages]]]

On this:

Gilles Deluuze and Felix Guattari: intersecting lives.

You went through quite a phase there...much more other people on them than them themselves, it looks---
Do you get them? How much? Have you tried 1k Plateaus? [[a re-read of that is on my list for the upcoming summer]] Get anything from that? What?
[[[just curious. you can say Yes, no no yes or whatever...or start a thread somewhere if you want to do detail]]].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

After Finitude: An Essay on the Necessity of Contingency by Quentin Meillassoux

----------------------------------------------
Vraith wrote:On this:

Gilles Deluuze and Felix Guattari: intersecting lives.

You went through quite a phase there...much more other people on them than them themselves, it looks---
Do you get them? How much? Have you tried 1k Plateaus? [[a re-read of that is on my list for the upcoming summer]] Get anything from that? What?
[[[just curious. you can say Yes, no no yes or whatever...or start a thread somewhere if you want to do detail]]].
Let me preface by saying that, due to my Catholic and philosophically Realist commitments, I don't embrace Deleuze's (and/or Guattari's) philosophy in its entirety (although the grave deficiencies I find there wouldn't necessarily preclude me from finding certain admirable elements which could conceivably be appropriated and developed). I'm open to reading a rather wide swath of schools and try to avoid a univocally "scorched earth" attitude toward any of them.

Getting back to your question, yes, I've read it. As to what I got out of it, well that's difficult to say with regard to any philosophical school, yet alone one to which I don't wholly subscribe. But some practical observations might be noted inasmuch as I think it safe to say that one could very well see D&G's influence in much of what might be called today's "Alt-Left" movements (e.g. the influence of the Nomadic War Machine and of rhizomatic, transversal networking).

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Wosbald wrote: Nomadic War Machine and of rhizomatic,
Heh...those are the main reasons for my planned re-read.
I had/have no commitment to War Machine stuff---I thought it had some potential interest, but felt I was missing a layer, and an important one. [whether that layer was cake or dung, I don't/didn't know.]

The rhizomatic was different---I created the beginnings of an entire perspective influenced/launched from a fuel mix fairly rich in ingredients from Heidegger Being/Time and that stuff. I've learned more since then, though---and forgotten much, too---we'll see if I understand/think more/differently now, and if my paper/ideas hold together.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”