Pantheon 1.0 - Comments Thread

Moderator: Xar

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Xar wrote: the feeling I get is that most of you're not that interested anymore, and if it is so, I'd like to be told.

Thanks.
I want to play but I was out of touch last week, remember?
Movahl
Servant of the Land

Post by Movahl »

I'm still in - this was just a week from hell, hence my actions being described very, very briefly.
Those who are as nothing shall be raised above all others.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

An odd week, really. I had a good idea what I was going to do, but I kept putting off sending the moves in, though I did it eventually. I don't know why - I'm still interested in/enjoying the game, just kept having something else to do.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

I'm still in - i think I forgot the whole "PM Xar" thing last turn & was sort of arse-to-the-wind in this one. I've also been in confab with some of other Gods...not sayin' why! ;) Me to know and y'all to find out!

And don't forget, I'm not online ever during the weekend (Sunday night is my Monday morning, so I'll be posting today!) :biggrin:
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Since I was one of the five, I'm obviously still interested. Get with it folks. :D

--A
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Avatar wrote:Since I was one of the five, I'm obviously still interested. Get with it folks. :D

--A
done and DONE!
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I'll post the results sometime today... I'd tell you why the slight delay, but I'll save the grisly details :P Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

As a note, I do believe some of you did not completely understand something regarding divine rank points... everything you do with divine rank points can conceivably be broken, undone or destroyed by other deities, as long as they pour enough rank points in it. If, say, you cast a spell around your city to prevent another deity's followers from finding it, and you used 1 divine rank point to do so, the other deity could still breach the shield if he poured something like 2-3 rank points into the effort. The expense, in both cases, cannot be cumulative - you must expend all your rank points for a single task in a single turn. But it does mean that if the other deity is powerful enough and determined enough, small divine spells cannot block him or her from acting.

A good example is the current situation with Elauradaneth and Nephirthos. El has a shield around the hearts of her woods, but if Nephirthos puts enough power in his manifestations (say, in the black creeping mist), that mist can overcome El's shield and creep into the heart of her woods. On the opposite side, if Nephirthos doesn't put enough power in the mists, they will shy away from the shield. It's all about power: so keep in mind that spending 1 divine rank point on something doesn't necessarily make it untouchable.
Last edited by Xar on Mon May 29, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nothing too serious I hope Xar? Anyway, look forward to it.

--A
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Avatar wrote:Nothing too serious I hope Xar? Anyway, look forward to it.

--A
Nothing too serious, just grisly lab work... let's say it's not for the squeamish and leave it at that :P Please check my earlier post for an important edit about divine rank points.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Xar wrote: A good example is the current situation with Elauradaneth and Nephirthos. El has a shield around the hearts of her woods, but if Nephirthos puts enough power in his manifestations (say, in the black creeping mist), that mist can overcome El's shield and creep into the heart of her woods. On the opposite side, if Nephirthos doesn't put enough power in the mists, they will shy away from the shield. It's all about power: so keep in mind that spending 1 divine rank point on something doesn't necessarily make it untouchable.
I am fed up with this power mad little f**k. I want revenge and i want it NOW!!!
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Movahl
Servant of the Land

Post by Movahl »

You called, my dearest sister? How may I be of service?
Those who are as nothing shall be raised above all others.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

You started it, Elfgirl. As we have said so many times, you maybe the God of Nature but you are not Gaia. Me, God of War and God of Undead have my followers and more of those point things thus making us more powerful.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Queeaqueg wrote:You started it, Elfgirl. As we have said so many times, you maybe the God of Nature but you are not Gaia. Me, God of War and God of Undead have my followers and more of those point things thus making us more powerful.
Keep making boasts like that and I will join the war.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

But it is true. Me, Morgath, Toringian and Argothoth are the most powerful. Its not a boast.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Queeaqueg wrote:But it is true. Me, Morgath, Toringian and Argothoth are the most powerful. Its not a boast.
Boasters tend to be the ones who fall hardest on their faces. :lol: You keep reminding how great you are, the more likely we are to initiate war to bring you down. I'm neutral, but can join your enemies if I so desire.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

Me, Morgath, Toringian and Argothoth
that's because your the only deities with the ability to perpetuate yourselves simply by being yourselves. Everyone else has to think up ingenius ways to get more followers. however, it occours to me that most people i know would rather not live in chaos, so it shouldn't matter what you do. I would have thought most would follow a God that promises better results in their current life or a better way of life. But if people want to march of to war every 5 seconds at the whims of their manical gods thats up to them. *sigh*
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Just so I can get it out of my system, before I make an in character response to what my actions have resulted in this turn:

Oh. Shit.

My fellow players might want to take this as a lesson: Be very specific when sending your commands to Xar. I did not want the slaughter of innocents. In fact, when I'm told that on average most 'cities' in this game only contain a few hundred followers, and I'm told that a god has built two fortresses in the mountains - not cities - well, can someone tell me why I was wrong to assume they would be home to mostly military?
Solus
Woodhelvennin

Post by Solus »

I believe most of us understand what it was you intended. And though I feel bad for the innocents... perhaps it's not the best idea to be living under the banner of the God of Malice?

And I think I just might have some unexpected consequences coming my way next turn. We shall see.
"The winds and waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators."
-E. Gibbon
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Murrin wrote:My fellow players might want to take this as a lesson: Be very specific when sending your commands to Xar. I did not want the slaughter of innocents. In fact, when I'm told that on average most 'cities' in this game only contain a few hundred followers, and I'm told that a god has built two fortresses in the mountains - not cities - well, can someone tell me why I was wrong to assume they would be home to mostly military?
Fortresses don't necessarily mean that only the military is garrisoned there: they do need to survive somehow, and to be self-sufficient they still need manpower - in the form of civilians. Black Citadel and the other fortress were smaller than cities, more fortified, but still with civilians inside.

As for the command - I know that was not what you intended. But even the most devout soldiers have a tendency to go above and beyond the call of duty in the rage of war - just read up about the Crusades and see what zealous Christian knights did to the "infidels", even to women and children. There is precedent even in the real world for this sort of behaviour. Soldiers are, as an euphemism, a rough lot: during the pillaging or taking of a city, rapes, looting, slaughter, and so on are to be expected, no matter however zealous in their faith they are. Legend holds that when the Crusade took Jerusalem, the Crusaders entered the city in which blood reached their ankles... just to give an idea.

Remember: your people have their own minds (or lack thereof): they will obey your commands, especially if you power them with drps, but they might decide to go beyond them if they think they have permission to do so, if they get excited enough, or if at the very least they are not clearly forbidden from doing so.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I understand all that. I'm blaming myself more than anything for letting this happen, not thinking things through enough. I can work something out to bring things back in line. It's just that until I read it the idea hadn't even crossed my mind that this would happen.

Return to “Pantheon”