Watership Down

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Iryssa wrote:I've never read the book...but man, the movie gave me the creeps when I was a kid!! I should watch it again sometime, just to see if it still creeps me out. Also, I should probably read the book...
Definitely read the book. The movie was okay for what it was, but if I'd watched the movie first, I never would have bothered to read the book. I reread it recently, actually. 12 years after first reading it, I still enjoy it just as much (if not more). I love Bigwig, and Efrafa was definitely my favorite part. Bought Shardik at a used bookstore... thank god it only cost about 50 cents. Didn't bother reading anything else by the author, except for that WD pseudo-sequel thing. ...I paid full price for that piece of crap. I never dreamed it could be that god-awful.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

I read the book over 15 years ago, so my memory of it is pretty hazy but I do remember liking it a great deal.

Also, having recently read "The Little Mermaid" to my neices about 3 times, I realize that they stole the damn seagull from Watership down! Haha!

The animated movie with that damned "Time" song was a little too over the top, but it was OK.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

RIP Richard Adams, author of Watership Down and The Plague Dogs, May 9, 1920 - December 24, 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... s-obituary

I think that Watership Down is one of my favorite works of fiction, ever.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

One of Sgt Null's favourites too, IIRC.

Ah well, another one bites the dust. Didn't realise he was that old though. Good long innings.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Yes, Av, I'm consoled by knowing that he had a long, fulfilling life.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.

--------------------------------------------
Cord Hurn wrote:I think that Watership Down is one of my favorite works of fiction, ever.
Haven't read it in years, but my memories are very fond, indeed.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today."

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”