Meatlore... or Beef, it's what for dinner

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

BUMP for Sergio
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

Myste wrote:BUMP for Sergio
what does that mean?
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, you post, and the topic jumps all the way from the murky depths to the top of the forum - so, you gave it a bump. 'Bumping a topic'.
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

so wait, did i do a bad thing? bad forum ettiquite?
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

No. Myste bumped the topic because it was relevant to something you wanted to discuss; rather than people repeating their opinions on the matter, this allows you to read some of the members' views on the topic the last time it came up, and gives you opportunity to add to the discussion.
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

ahhhhh, i get it....by her saying BUMP, it is at the tope of the threads, so easier for me to see it?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, she didn't have to say 'bump', but that's the idea, yes.
KATIE
Servant of the Land

Post by KATIE »

I think that being a vegetarian would imply that they are pacifists, which we all know is not the case for most of them. Maybe the stonedowners, but not to many others.
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

KATIE wrote:I think that being a vegetarian would imply that they are pacifists, which we all know is not the case for most of them. Maybe the stonedowners, but not to many others.
Vegetarians are pacifists? ;)

Hmmmm... I know a few at work, I am reasonably sure that they are not... LOL... if you knew them you would understand! :P
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Wondering why the Landers were not vegetarians.
Probebly the easiest explanation would be that Donaldson is not one, therefore his creation is not going to have any. But I'm sure that the people of the Land were very humane in their farming and slaughtering methods, nothing like people are in our world nowadays.
The reason I gave up meat was inhumane methods of animal raising.
For that reason I still eat hunted meat.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

so the landowners would practice some sort of kosher butchering? and i doubt they would mass produce their meat, which leads to the many abuses of animals that we have. it would allow the animals to more naturally follow their function.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Precicly. I doubt if any stowndowners tumbled their chickens to death in a huge dryer like they use now-a-days...
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

or used a compression gun to brain cattle. or fed cattle bit 'n' pieces to other cattles, causing them to go mad. or sold fish with mercury poisoning.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Exactly..you must not eat meat yourself eh?
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
HighLordKevin
Servant of the Land

Post by HighLordKevin »

My thoughts on the matter were: I can't see Landers just killing creatures for one specific reason, ala bison in the Old West, but maybe they were needed for clothing and blankets and such, and rather than throw away a perfectly good carcass, they used the meat for food.
Some people say that it doesn't make a difference, but I say it's the difference that makes it...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm not sure that they'd use it only incidentally for meat, but I certainly agree that they'd use all of it.

--A
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

I'm sure they could do some kickin' marrowmeld with the bones, making even more use of each animal than we could dream of.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

*bump*
For reference.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

eating carcasses isn't very healthy. if you wait for the animal to get old, the meat is less and not as good. they have leather, yes? so they must be doing some sort of butchering. a form of kosher, as i mentioned before. they have birds and fish. are goats or sheep mentioned?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

I'm sure they mentioned shepherds in TIW on the upland plateau, though that might just have been 'cattle herders'.

Talking about Landers butchering animals, do you remember in LFB when Korik and Terrel I think tried to lead off the pursuing Kresh? They said they encountered a bird which 'flew strangely so we shot it'. Admittedly when they shot it down they saw it had one 'mad orb burning in the centre of its head' but before that all they had to go on was that it flew strangely. Might have had a hurt wing or something and they just killed it!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”