Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cagliostro wrote:Welcome. And my condolences.
For the nickname or for living in Pittsburgh? :lol:

Welcome, uglyken! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the watch, uglyken.
uglyken
Servant of the Land

Post by uglyken »

aliantha wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:Welcome. And my condolences.
For the nickname or for living in Pittsburgh? :lol:

Welcome, uglyken! :)
This has indeed been a tough period for many Pittsburghers…the Steelers, who are loved by all that claim Western PA as their home, has disappointed the Steeler Nation with an entire season of underachievement. Moreover, The Pittsburgh Pirates, who are very dear to my heart, have been the definition of futility for 17 years. On the other hand, life in Pittsburgh is still a blessing…here I can enjoy all four seasons (winter, spring, summer, & fall), most of my friends and family are still close by, and people here are as friendly as any in the world.

I accept (embrace) my nickname, because I was labeled thus by my oldest and best friend (it really doesn’t pertain to my looks). I can not be insulted by the use of a label that is spoken with affection. Most people are named by their family (given name) and/or friends (nickname); the blessing in the name is to have family and friends that continue to give meaning to it.

The giving of my true nickname is like extending my hand in friendship, and using my name is simply acceptance. Please feel free to perpetuate what has already been given to me. Remember….by accepting the gift, you honor the giver.

Again, thanks too all for the welcome. :D
jim elder
Servant of the Land

Post by jim elder »

8) hi my name is jim i've enjoyed stephen r. donaldson's books since the late 70's and just thought it might be nice to chat with some other readers
jim elder
Servant of the Land

Post by jim elder »

i just reread the runes of the earth and fatal revenant and was reminded of a quote that i don't know whom to credit, it goes something like this,"the end of a good book is like saying goodbye to an old friend"
jim elder
Servant of the Land

Post by jim elder »

not sure you will like this old tough bird
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, Jim!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Jim.
Be Well Come and True.
jim elder
Servant of the Land

Post by jim elder »

[quote="Menolly"]Be Welcome to the Watch, Jim.
Be Well Come and True.[/quote] i see you like ann mc cathrey too, not sure i spelled her name right, also loved her pern books
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I do.
Pern is my first and longest literary love.
I am trying to embrace her son's Todd's continuation of the series, but it is...difficult.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Jim.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :)

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a door greeter!

But welcome, anyway, and don't let the pointy-eared Mods scare you off.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Welcome to the Watch Jim! T'is a special place for a lot of us!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Newbie post

Post by Barnetto »

Thanks for the invitation to introduce myself to KevinsWatch. I'm a UK reader of the Thomas Covenant books, currently re-reading them for the first time.

I read the Covenant Chronicles back in about 1983/84, I guess. At the time, I was quite a big reader of Fantasy/Sci-Fi. My memory (very fallible) is that I loved the first few books, but maybe found the Second Chronicles a bit hard-going - though having invested a lot of time in them I wasn't going to give up.

Time moved on and so did my reading habits - I moved on primarily to non-fiction, popular science and biographies on the whole. Then a couple of years ago I spotted a copy of The Runes of the Earth and bought it on a whim, for old times sake. I found it a bit hard going, but then Fatal Revenant appeared almost immediately and I bought and read that too with growing appreciation (but also frustration at my inability to remember the earlier books and the events in them that are constantly referenced in the Last Chronicles).

So now I'm rereading the First Chronicles and came upon the site when looking for some further information/thoughts on some of the topics in the books.

Anyway, the positive is that I actually think I'm enjoying them just as much as when I first read them. I still think that the basic plot set up is a stroke of genius from SD and that it carries the books a very long way.

I've never read any other SD books, but I've just bought the GAP series to give them a go. And as a slightly sad, final fact, I've also just bought the First and Second Chronicles in the new two book format so that I can read those copies rather than my early 1980s copies that can sit pristinely (relatively) on the book shelf.

Already come across some very interesting and stimulating discussions of themes in the early books and looking forward to delving deeper when time permits.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Be welcome to the Watch, Barnetto.
Be Well Come and True.

We have many members who live around the UK.
As Avatar is wont to say:
Jump in anywhere. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome, Barnetto! Like I said, glad to see you jumping in and participating.

We also have plenty of members who have re-read the chronicles only once. Crazy talk, if you ask me. :) And who have read it once when they were young, and then re-read many years later, to find that they appreciate it quite differently. (And, dare I say, more so.)

You are the first that I can recall, however, that have read the Final Chronicles without a recent re-read. Perhaps you might describe what that felt like at some point.

Enjoy your stay!
Fangthane
Servant of the Land

Post by Fangthane »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Been a Covenant fan since '80 or so. I'm holding off on reading the Last Chronicles until he's done, then I'll devour them all at once.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Welcome to the site new folks, hope you enjoy our lilttle community
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Fangthane wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Been a Covenant fan since '80 or so. I'm holding off on reading the Last Chronicles until he's done, then I'll devour them all at once.
Don't break a tooth on the hardbacks. Or should that be, a fang?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “The Summonsing”