Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

wboykin
Servant of the Land

Post by wboykin »

Wanted to send a greeting to all on the watch. I have primarily been on the Stephen C. McKinney page in the Hall of Gifts. Justv starting to read SDs works!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Welcome to Barnetto, Fangthane and wboykin!

And congratulations wboykin for posting number 5000 on this thread!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome Barnetto and Fangthane. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Fangthane.
Be Well Come and True.

way...
I did not have the First nor Second Chrons when I started the Last Chrons, though I got them from the library for Beorn to read when FR was being released. I read so slowly, I did not reread them. I relied on the What Has Gone Before...

Oy Wanda!
Glad you posted, but I almost dread your reaction to our favorite anti-hero at first...
Afraid I might never live it down at a combined year high school reunion, should you not enjoy it...

...for those who do not know, wboykin and I have been friends since 1975 Girls Chorus...
Pharaoh
Servant of the Land

Post by Pharaoh »

Hello everybody, I'm so glad to be here! I've scanned through some of the posts in times past, but I'm glad to be on here so I can do a little posting of my own.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Pharaoh!
Be Well Come and True.

Jump in anywhere. :)
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

wayfriend wrote:You are the first that I can recall, however, that have read the Final Chronicles without a recent re-read. Perhaps you might describe what that felt like at some point.
Errrm, idiotic? :oops: Clearly it wasn't ideal and left me feeling rather at sea for much of the time - I wouldn't particularly recommend it, especially as I already know that I am going to have to reread them again now once I've reread the First Two Chronicles to see how much more I get out of them.

To be fare, Runes wasn't too bad as the set up was not highly dependent on a detailed knowledge of the earlier works, but once into Fatal Revenant which (it appears to me) draws more heavily on the earlier mythology, I was left floundering at times... but also drawn back to the first books again.

After a twenty year break, I have to admit it is difficult to remember what I might have gotten out of the books first time round. I know that they left a big impression on me, I know that I enjoyed them immensely and read some of them more or less at one sitting and I know that they are some of the few books that have never left me (well at least I could recall the bare bones of them). Certainly, I read them at a time when I was very much drawn to an anti-hero figure like TC and he made a big impression on me. I guess this time I'd like to think that I'm taking on more of the emotional nuances and larger themes - and that is certainly aided by the availability of resources such as Kevin's Watch and the SRD site that, of course, weren't available back in the early 80s.

Currently rereading TIW (and Gilden-Fire) and actually finding it better than LFB. (Though I would have to say that I'm not an all-out-fan of the SRD style of writing - I don't necessarily want to have a dictionary to hand all the time - is there a thread somewhere with meanings for all those obscure words that pepper the books - though at least he's consistent, I'm coming across all the same obscure words rereading the first books as bugged me in the Last Chronicles....)

Cheers all for the welcome :D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Barnetto wrote:(Though I would have to say that I'm not an all-out-fan of the SRD style of writing - I don't necessarily want to have a dictionary to hand all the time - is there a thread somewhere with meanings for all those obscure words that pepper the books - though at least he's consistent, I'm coming across all the same obscure words rereading the first books as bugged me in the Last Chronicles....)
Closest thing I know of...

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

Haha, I'm reading RotE for the first time and everytime I see "ineluctable" or somesuch, I'm reminded of Wayfriend's Haiku Contest and I laugh. It's hard to take it seriously now. :-P
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

uglyken
Servant of the Land

Post by uglyken »

I must admit that the first time I read the 1st Chronicles; I thought that I was just plain ignorant concerning the English language. I learned to keep a dictionary close as I continued through the 2nd & Last Chronicles. SRD has truly expanded my vocabulary somewhat; however, one has so few opportunities to use words like ambergris, formication, and paresthesia in an actual sentence. :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Menolly wrote:
Barnetto wrote:(Though I would have to say that I'm not an all-out-fan of the SRD style of writing - I don't necessarily want to have a dictionary to hand all the time - is there a thread somewhere with meanings for all those obscure words that pepper the books - though at least he's consistent, I'm coming across all the same obscure words rereading the first books as bugged me in the Last Chronicles....)
Closest thing I know of...

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
There's a thread somewhere on the Watch about them...Probably in the 1st Chrons forum, not sure.

--A
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Welcome to the watch, Barnetto, Fangthane and Pharoah!

KimberlyCrawley
Stonedownor

Greetings

Post by KimberlyCrawley »

Hi, my name is Kim and I am 49 year old (hate admitting to that) and I have been a huge Thomas Covenant fan since the books were first published.

I am a fan of both Tolkien and Lewis and have been since adolescence...when very few people cared about Rings or Wraiths or Talking Mice.

I have two daughters, one who is a Junior at Transylvania University in Lexington and another who is a Junior at Garrard County High School.

I currently reside in Lancaster, Kentucky.....with my daughters, 6 cats (one of which was born without legs) 1 dog, 1 rabbit and several fish.

I am looking forward to the third installment of the Thomas Covenant saga. I just re-read my worn out collection from beginning to end and added the two books....The Runes of The Earth and Fatal Revenant which I received as a Christmas present. I had packed my collection away and nearly forgot about them....but the reading of them never gets old.

Nice to meet all of you!
Kimberly Layne Jordan Crawley
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Kim.
Be Well Come and True.

My half century mark is coming up very shortly, so I understand about the 49 thing. But I try to bear my years proudly.

I see in your profile you are a UK fan. If you are in to football as well as basketball, come join us in the Are you ready for some (SEC) Football???!! thread down in Sports. I don't think we have a Kentucky fan there yet.

Image Image

Other than that, jump in anywhere. But be careful of Last Chrons spoilers. The mods and admins try to catch them all, but they do occasionally slip through.
KimberlyCrawley
Stonedownor

Thank you for your kind welcome....and yes I am a UK fan, football and basketball combined....I even pull for the award winning Cheerleading squad! LOL

Have to ask, though....what is your warning concerning the "spoilers" ? What is their purpose????
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch Kimberly!

Spoilers are information on plot or characters that may come as a surprise to someone who has not yet read far enough to have encountered them. Since this can rather spoil the effect one gets when encountering the information as the author intended, we try to avoid mentioning those specifics, or enclose them in spoiler tags
Spoiler
like this.
That gives you the option to leave the spoiler unread, or to click-drag over it and read it.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

What SD said, although I meant the "spoilers" that are not enclosed in spoiler tags and slip past the mods and admins. We do try to catch them all, but they can appear in the most unexpectedly places.

This is not to scare you off of reading and posting throughout the Watch. I just wanted you to be aware you may stumble across some Last Chrons spoilers unexpectedly.
KimberlyCrawley
Stonedownor

OH...Ok....thanks for the info...but since I have already read them it's no sweat. And I'll watch myself as well....don't want to spoil the the books for anyone else.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

KimberlyCrawley wrote:OH...Ok....thanks for the info...but since I have already read them it's no sweat. And I'll watch myself as well....don't want to spoil the the books for anyone else.
That's very kind of you! I think the first time I was posting here, I was dropping spoilers unintentionally like some form of mad.
Welcome to the Watch!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
KimberlyCrawley
Stonedownor

Thank you....and....LOVE your Clint Eastwood/Jose Wales quote....that's one of my favorites! He deserved the Oscar for that one....Unforgiven wasn't nearly as good, IMHO.

Return to “The Summonsing”