Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Thyme
Servant of the Land

Post by Thyme »

Hello to everyone, thanks for the welcomes!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, Thyme!

May you thrive here (growing like a weed)...and contribute (your own piquiant flavor to the discussions).

Make sure you explore all the corners of the Watch. (I particularly look forward to your participation in the more contentious fora like the Tank...since I know that your positions on issues will match my own. Yes they will...)

Sorry for the tiny parentheticals...but I did not want to disappoint Iolanthe, who was clearly looking forward to all that.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Hi Thyme, Welcome to the Watch!

I hope you don't taste anything like amanibhavam or else with all the Ranyhyn around you may get cropped! And I have no doubt that you are more interested in flora than fora (tsk, tsk, SD. How did you miss that one! :biggrin: ).

The pronunciation of your name is a source of fun among my friends, along with a few other words like almond, salmon and Thomas. How we laugh! (Obviously, we don't get out much 8O )

The punning on newbies names has become almost a tradition now, so hopefully wayfriend will be along shortly with something a bit more classy than my paltry efforts!*

Be Welcome and True!

u.

* And nobody would like to leave Iolanthe down! :lol:
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm not going to say anything about Thyme [until such TIME as Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary arrive....but they'll probably be late. Which is naturally bad taste...but we can discuss it on the side of the hill after the war is over.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Thyme
Servant of the Land

Post by Thyme »

I appreciate all the warm responses!

Any puns on the name are probably due -- and welcome. As are conventional jokes, innovative riddles, creative haiku, ironic musings... and such and so on.

I hesitate to wander near the Tank, Savor Dam, as I've had bad experiences discussing a variety of issues with my rather contentious kin. ;)
Vraith wrote:I'm not going to say anything about Thyme [until such TIME as Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary arrive....but they'll probably be late. Which is naturally bad taste...but we can discuss it on the side of the hill after the war is over.]
Okay! The funny thing about that right there... Yeah, I couldn't think of a user name. And yeah, Scarborough Fair hit my shuffle while I was staring at the registration screen...

Yeah.

Busted.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Creative haiku?
We can do that, Mister Thyme
Most definitely!

Ironic musings
Are best left to The Fallen
Who has mastered them

Conventional jokes
Are seldom seen on the Watch
Except on leap years

Why leap years, you ask?
Political conventions
Are held by Yanks then...

Welcome to the Watch
Do not let our crazy ways
Chase you off too fast...
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch Thyme. :D The 'Tank is really not that bad. Well, probably not as bad as your kin anyway. ;)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Thyme.
Be Well Come and True.

Might I be able to entice you over to The Galley?
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Look, in a no doubt futile attempt to nip any confusion in the bud amongst the many here who are ever-fated to murder my native tongue, one should NOT (repeat, NOT) pronounce the 'H' in "Thyme".

Nevertheless, just because one should NOT pronounce the 'H' in "Thyme", this does NOT mean that one should subsequently avoid pronouncing the 'H' in "Herb" - even given the fact that thyme itself is undoubtedly a herb. There simply is NO SUCH THING as "an 'erb".

I freely acknowledge the risk here of this concept throwing any Americans into a state of utter confusion (not that this is difficult), but I am compelled to stand as a bulwark against the tidal onslaught of unwitting linguistic abuse stemming from the UK's erstwhile colonies.

The things I have to put up with in here, I tell you... mutter, grumble, grouse.

Anyhow, welcome Thyme. Do try the Tank... the water's lovely and hot. Positively scalding sometimes, not that this seems to put off the sharks in any way whatsoever, mind you.

:biggrin:
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Every time my grandson says "ay?" I say "that's what orses eat". Annoys him no end. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Thyme wrote:I hesitate to wander near the Tank, Savor Dam, as I've had bad experiences discussing a variety of issues with my rather contentious kin. ;)
I can assure you that my Tank is not like other such similar places you might have visited elsewhere.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheFallen wrote: Nevertheless, just because one should NOT pronounce the 'H' in "Thyme", this does NOT mean that one should subsequently avoid pronouncing the 'H' in "Herb" - even given the fact that thyme itself is undoubtedly a herb. There simply is NO SUCH THING as "an 'erb".
Agree, no H sound in Thyme. [no th like "thing" either, nor the th in the midst of "either", neither.].
But, and I've pointed this out before elsewhere, pronounced "H" in a persons name "Herb" [Herbert]...but NOT in plants. As a matter of fact, even England didn't start pronouncing the H until the 1800's.
[not that I really care...I just like to play in the pedantic sandbox somethymes].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Thyme. 17 years! It's about thyme you joined. Now we can celebrate ... Party Thyme!

:nanaparty:
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

As I understand the term, "Party Thyme" is an entirely different herb...

:hide:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

TheFallen wrote:I freely acknowledge the risk here of this concept throwing any Americans into a state of utter confusion (not that this is difficult), but I am compelled to stand as a bulwark against the tidal onslaught of unwitting linguistic abuse stemming from the UK's erstwhile colonies.
Hahaha, I have this argument with Vraith and Ali every couple of years. :D Despite hailing from an erstwhile colony, we nonetheless have managed to maintain the correct linguistic standards. ;)

--A
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, Thyme. Now why don't I disappoint everyone and use no puns?
Thyme wrote:Registering here to keep my interest in reading up. I've lapsed into lazy non-reading periods in recent years, and I can't stand that.
Well, remind us to remind you, we do have some whips and chains to assist those lazy with seeing the error of their ways...
TheFallen wrote:the Tank... the water's lovely and hot.
A note: the definition of hot includes boiling.
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I can assure you that my Tank is not like other such similar places you might have visited elsewhere.
Thyme, haven't seen you mention the Gap Cycle in your post, you might need to read that to know who you're listening to.

Not like I'm trying to drive you away from the Tank - rather to pique your interest through providing questionable information for you to check for yourself.

Oh, and haven't you seen your Warden around recently?
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Vraith wrote:But, and I've pointed this out before elsewhere, pronounced "H" in a persons name "Herb" [Herbert]...but NOT in plants. As a matter of fact, even England didn't start pronouncing the H until the 1800's.
[not that I really care...I just like to play in the pedantic sandbox somethymes].
With precisely zero respect, may I point out that the damn language is called ENGLISH... as in ENGLAND. Therefore, any way in which I and my fellow citizens may choose to pronounce or indeed spell anything is ipso facto inevitably and invariably bound to be the correct bloody way.

This state of affairs will continue until a point where you lot across the pond have debased your mother tongue to such an extent that right-minded people across the planet, shaking their heads both sorrowfully and pityingly, will decide that there does indeed need to be an officially recognised subset of English, most likely called Amurkin or suchlike. Anyway, a kind of special needs, short bus version, if you like, more suited to you guys...

Mutter. Grumble. Bloody uppity colonials...

:P :P :P :P :P
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheFallen wrote:
Vraith wrote:But, and I've pointed this out before elsewhere, pronounced "H" in a persons name "Herb" [Herbert]...but NOT in plants. As a matter of fact, even England didn't start pronouncing the H until the 1800's.
With precisely zero respect, may I point out that the damn language is called ENGLISH... as in ENGLAND. Therefore, any way in which I and my fellow citizens may choose to pronounce or indeed spell anything is ipso facto inevitably and invariably bound to be the correct bloody way.

This state of affairs will continue until a point where you lot across the pond have debased your mother tongue to such an extent that right-minded people across the planet, shaking their heads both sorrowfully and pityingly, will decide that there does indeed need to be an officially recognised subset of English, most likely called Amurkin or suchlike. Anyway, a kind of special needs, short bus version, if you like, more suited to you guys...

Mutter. Grumble. Bloody uppity colonials...

:P :P :P :P :P
Menolly's post above it very sweetly on topic: because English is nothing but what the Angles, Saxons and other NATIVES called the Germanic invaders and their incomprehensible blather.
You might find it interesting to note that you people [heh...and all the other speakers of all the other branches that I'm aware of] DON'T even pronounce the name of their own language/country "correctly."
What the hell do you expect from folk who say Beauchamp like BEE-chm.

Hey, Thyme! Lucky for you! Now you can blather in any way you want and if people mess with you you can just say "There are those who call me....TIM. [then point them back here]
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

+1 for z Monty Pyzon refrens

+infinity for z advrb in z first original sentnse of yur post
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “The Summonsing”