Taking Stock: Reading Pile Issues

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Taking Stock: Reading Pile Issues

Post by I'm Murrin »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a bad habit for purchasing books. I can, theoretically, hold off on buying a book I want to read until I'm ready to read it; but in practice, if I'm confronted with a copy of a new book, or one I didn't expect to find easily, I find myself--against my better judgement--buying it. The problem this causes really hits me when I tally up all the books I have that I've not read yet.
I've just done that. As of this moment, I have the following books waiting to be read:

# Mistress of Mistresses ~ E R Eddison
# Nineteen Eighty-Four ~ George Orwell
# Le Morte D’Arthur ~ Sir Thomas Malory
# One Hundred Years of Solitude ~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez
# The Eternal Champion (The Eternal Champion Vol 2) ~ Michael Moorcock
# Elric of Melniboné (The Eternal Champion Vol 8) ~ Michael Moorcock
# Orlando ~ Virginia Woolf
# Fictions ~ Jorge Luis Borges
# Never Let Me Go ~ Kazuo Ishiguro
# Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ~ Haruki Murakami
# The Night Watch ~ Sergei Lukyanenko
# The Elephant Vanishes ~ Haruki Murakami
# Birthday Stories ~ Ed. Haruki Murakami
# The Epic of Gilgamesh
# Stranger Things Happen ~ Kelly Link
# The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl ~ Tim Pratt
# The Portrait of Mrs Charbuque ~ Jeffrey Ford
# Temeraire ~ Naomi Novik
# Only Revolutions ~ Mark Z. Danielewski
# Fury ~ Salman Rushdie
# The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay ~ Michael Chabon
# Snake Agent ~ Liz Williams
# Old Man’s War ~ John Scalzi
# The Jewels of Aptor ~ Samuel R Delany
# The Chains That You Refuse ~ Elizabeth Bear
# The Bloody Chamber ~ Angela Carter
# The Ladies of Grace Adieu ~ Susanna Clarke
# The Iliad ~ Homer, trans. Robert Fagles
# The Odyssey ~ Homer, trans. Robert Fagles
# The Divine Comedy ~ Dante Alighieri
# Kafka on the Shore ~ Haruki Murakami
# Air ~ Geoff Ryman
# Trial of Flowers ~ Jay Lake
# Nova Swing ~ M John Harrison
# The Troika ~ Stepan Chapman
# Pale Fire ~ Vladimir Nabokov
# Blood Meridian; or The Evening Redness in the West ~ Cormac McCarthy
# Little, Big ~ John Crowley
# Learning the World ~ Ken MacLeod
# The Empire of Ice Cream ~ Jefrey Ford
# Secret Life: the Select Fire Remix ~ Jeff VanderMeer
# The Android’s Dream ~ John Scalzi
# Ink ~ Hal Duncan

That's forty three books. And last I checked, I usually read less than thirty books per year. Up at the top is a book I bought in August 2005; at the bottom, one I received free a couple of weeks ago. I'm currently half way through two books: Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, and the collected edition of Bone, the comic by Jeff Smith.
All in all, this adds up to a Problem. If I stop buying, this pile will slowly shrink. That would be the smart choice. On the other hand, it could take me two years to read all of this, and by then there would be an equally large backlog of books I'll have missed out on. That's the greedy option, there. But when they're right there waiting for you to pick them up, it can be hard to tell yourself not to.
Thankfully I've managed to cut my buying down a lot, and might start eating into the pile if I can learn to organise my time better.

How do the rest of you avoid getting yourselves into this kind of mess? Or do you avoid it? -- Are you in the same situation as I am, with an insurmountable surplus of reading material?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Mine is at 30 books.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Re: Taking Stock: Reading Pile Issues

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: I wish I had your problem. :D

I'm chronically short of books to read. A good book lasts me two days if I'm lucky. Maybe 3 if its real thick. There's no way I can afford the new books at a rate to keep me with something to read all the time. :lol:

My TBR pile consists of books I last read long enough ago that I can read them again without being bored. ;)

--A
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Well, I read The Iliad and a history of World War II in quick succession, there are two interesting things I got from The Iliad. One, it is a window into what the values of the Greeks were, if you compare the heroes and villians decribed in The Iliad to the heroic/epic tales of other cultures, it's very revealling what the Greeks thought was Good, and what they didn't really have as much respect for. Second, it's simply a book about war, when all is said and done. A very illustrative and intimate book about war, from times when we thought the world was nearly as civilised if not as civilised as our modern world. The hardship, cruelty, ill fate, courage, honor, cowardice, good luck... all those things that we think of war abstractly get illustrated in The Iliad. It's worth a read for that I think, to come to terms with warfare. It made my reading of World War II History much more poignant, and in that, helped me to absorb much more from that history.

The Divine Comedie is interesting in parts, but it kind of lost some meaning 2/3 of the way in simply because of my infamiliarity with the politics that were part of the inspiration of the book. If you know the history of Renaissance Italian Politics, it might be more interesting a read, I don't know.

Those are the only two on the list I've read. Well, I read the Odyssey, but everyone does in school, and that being the case, I would spend my reading time somewhere else first... even if I admit that a re-reading as an adult might reveal some entertaining nuances that I didn't notice while reading it in school.

EDIT: Oh... wait I read 1984 also. I've read three dystopia stories... (Animal Farm is more of a fable that a tale of dystopia right?) 1984, That Hideous Strength, and Farenheit 451; in that order. 1984 is a good read, probably a must read for the sake of understanding why modern day semantics is so often called Orwellian or Newspeak alone. There is so much in 1984 that really looks familiar unfortunately... not because the opposite team is in power in any given year (so many twist this book in the most ironic fashion, by using it to justify their own rhetoric and to condemn their opponents's rhetoric). There's one event in the ending story that I don't think fits right, but that's my own personal taste, otherwise though, it's a pretty good read, and will only take a few days of two hour reading sessions to burn through it.

If you ever plan to add the other two books to your stack, let me know, and I will go into more what I liked about them, and why they were worth my reading. I do strongly reccomend Farenheit 451 once your book stack has gotten shorter though. :)
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Tjol wrote:I do strongly reccomend Farenheit 451 once your book stack has gotten shorter though. :)
I believe Fahrenheint 451 is the best of the 'dystopians'. Simply marvellous.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

All good recommendations Tjol. Will have to read That Hideous Strength again...would never have called it dystopian. But it's been a long time. ;)

--A
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Loremaster wrote:
Tjol wrote:I do strongly reccomend Farenheit 451 once your book stack has gotten shorter though. :)
I believe Fahrenheint 451 is the best of the 'dystopians'. Simply marvellous.
I agree. I may be partial in that I think the way that resistance is practiced in the book is both realistic and optimistic... or I may just like that method of resistance because I enjoy books. :biggrin:
Avatar wrote:All good recommendations Tjol. Will have to read That Hideous Strength again...would never have called it dystopian. But it's been a long time. ;)

--A
Well the ending imo spins a bit away from the beginning... but the opening half or more of the story is unique, in that it shows the birth of a dystopia, rather than starting with the dystopia in place. :)
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Tjol wrote:I agree. I may be partial in that I think the way that resistance is practiced in the book is both realistic and optimistic... or I may just like that method of resistance because I enjoy books. :biggrin:
Well said.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

My 'to read' pile? I just had to go and make a list. Here we go:

Necroscope - Brian Lumley
Servant of the Bones - Anne Rice
Vittorio the Vampire - Anne Rice
Mirror of Her Dreams - Stephen Donaldson
A Man Rides Through - Stephen Donaldson
The Diamond Throne - David Eddings
Inquisition - Anselm Audley
Viriconium - M John Harrison (I read about a third of this, then drifted away)
Elric - Michael Moorcock
The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson (a weighty tome, this one)
The New Atlantis - Ursula Le Guin (this is only a slender one)
The Algebraist - Iain M Banks
Consider Phlebas - Iain M Banks
The Business - Iain Banks (not sure if this is the same Iain Banks as above. It was cheap at a used book stall and sounded interesting...)
Spellsinger - Alan Dean Foster
Sharra's Exile - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Sunrunner's Fire - Melanie Rawn
Stormwarden - Janny Wurts
The Fifth Head of Cerberus - Gene Wolfe
The Claw of the Conciliator - Gene Wolfe
Evolution - Stephen Baxter
The Anubis Gates - Tim Powers
Albion - John Grant
Neverness - David Zindell
Fevre Dream - George R R Martin (I received this from Loremaster a while back, but I've been battling through Dune since September and so haven't had chance to read it yet)
Black Trillium - Marion Zimmer Bradley, Julian May and Andre Norton

Then a few lightweight reads:

Eric - Terry Pratchett
Night Watch - Terry Pratchett
Centaur Isle - Piers Anthony

I make that 32 books.
Last edited by CovenantJr on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yes, Iain Banks and Iain M Banks are the same. He publishes sci-fi as Iain M, to distinguish it from his plain fiction work.
I've read Consider Phlebas and The Wasp Factory, and both were good, though I'm not a great fan of sci-fi with lots of aliens and such (as in CP); I've heard that his best as Iain Banks is The Crow Road, and I've heard some high praise for the Culture novel Use of Weapons.

Viriconium's a difficult one to get into, I think. Harrison's prose is brilliant, but a couple of the longer stories wander a bit. Since the series is intended as a deconstruction of fantasy tropes, the story can be a little unsatisfying at times. It gets better toward the later stories--In Viriconium is the best in the collection IMO, though the longest.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yes, I recall you and I started reading Viriconium at around the same time. You finished, and I fell asleep. :roll: I enjoy Viriconium's style and atmosphere, but I find it quite an effort to read, because it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Up to the point where I stopped (somewhere in the middle of an expedition by tegeus-Cromis, the queen and friends) my favourite part of Viriconium was the very first - the moderately nonsensical, dream-like sequence with the duel and the living tapestry.

I've been slogging through Dune for...let's see...five months. I'm less than halfway. It's just such a chore to read; almost (though not quite) as much so as The Lord of the Rings. I think I might switch to The Illuminatus Trilogy. I bought that as a challenge; the man at the bookstall saw me looking at it and told me it's incredibly confusing and just about impossible to read. He pushed me so hard to not buy it, that I had no choice but to defy him. Sneaky salesmanship. :lol:

It is huge though...

Also, I have a bad habit of reading several books at once. I find it difficult to read just one book, particularly if it's a weighty one, because I'm not always in the mood for intensity. I tend to have a 'main book' that I'm reading for the first time, and one or more others that I've read before. At the moment, Dune is my main book, and the secondary one is Live and Let Die. I haven't read that before, but it isn't as involved a read as Dune, so it's a suitable secondary book.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Murrin,

Just my $.02 but Blood Meridian was a big letdown. I had bever read Mccarthy before and had heard lots of good things about him. I'm sorry to say I found the prose to be stilted and the story was soulless. The book was all mood and atmosphere with no meat. I would wait on that one.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I have eight books waiting to be read, and I thought I had a lot!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I've read All the Pretty Horses and loved it-and I've heard very good stuff about The Crossing-but you have to read Meridian to get to the Crossing right? They're intended to be a trilogy right?

I'm having a tough time getting past 100 pages of The Algebriast-it's a great book, but I did find the automatic switch from Fantasy (A Feast For Crows) to Sci Fi a bit too much, this time. It might also be my quilty conscious which keeps telling me to reread Runes so I can further the Group Read and know what I'm talking about at Elohimfest '07 in June.

You'll love Illuminatus! Cov...I think it's your cup o' tea (and then read Wilson's quantum physic rants like The Cosmic Trigger and Schroedenger's Cat). Read Neverness dammitt!

Murrin, as a history major I recommend you read The Epic of Gilgamesh (which is very fun to read simultaneously with Stephenson's Snow Crash :wink: ). Have you read The Worm Oroborous yet? If so then read Eddison's trilogy! Then:
Never Let Me Go
The Night Watch
The Iliad
and The Jewels of Aptor

What do I have up next?
The Portugese-Marion Kaplan
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell-Susanna Clarke
Lethe-Trisha Sullivan
Once a Hero-Elizabeth Moon
The Deadhouse Gates-Stephen Erickson
Ship of Magic-Robin Hobb
Last edited by danlo on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I have maybe 100 books that I have not read.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

That's because you spend all your time prancing about. :P

Jokes about your tricking never get old. :roll:
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

Hmm, I saw you hadn't read "Enders Game" yet, Bob... I was absolutely obsessed with that book when I was fifteen. I read it uncountable times. I haven't touched it since then so I can't tell if it really is a good book or if it just was perfect for Ermingard aged 15. It has some fascinating themes though...
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Well Murrin, I've gotten myself into a similar mess recently. I've got around 150 novels that I've bought in my TBR pile. The good news is that only 25 or so of them are fantasy/sci-fi (the rest are classics and Australian literature)

Here's the list -

1 Martin – A Feast for Crows
2 King – The Dark Tower – 1 The Gunslinger
3 King – The Dark Tower – 2 The Drawing of the Three
4 King – The Dark Tower – 3 The Wastelands
5 Wolfe – Book of the New Sun
6 Gibson - Neuromancer
7 Erikson – Malazan – 1 Gardens of the Moon
8 Clarke – 2001 A Space Odyssey
9 Herbert - Dune
10 Powers – Last Call
11 Lindsay – A Voyage to Arcturus
12 May – Saga of the Exiles – 1 The Many Coloured Land
13 May – Saga of the Exiles – 2 The Golden Torc
14 May – Saga of the Exiles – 3 The Nonborn King
15 May – Saga of the Exiles – 4 The Adversary
16 Clarke – Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell
17 Bakker – The Darkness That Comes Before
18 Bakker – The Warrior Prophet
19 Russell – Swan’s War book 1
20 Russell – Swan’s War book 2
21 Russell – Swan’s War book 3

So far I've only found a few ways of minimising the growth of my TBR pile:
- I've decided not to read a series until it is finished. Harry Potter and anything by Donaldson are my exceptions, but I'm trying hard to stick to this rule. (ASOIAF is the reason for this rule!)
- I try to only buy a book when I'm ready to read it.
- Some months I try the "lazy man's option" and read a few of the shorter novels on the pile

Doing the math I read 25 books a year, so I'm drowning in books.

Given how big my TBR pile is, I dont think my advice is worth much! :)

My wife tells me I can finish them from heaven after I die ;)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Danlo: I have now discarded Dune and begun Illuminatus. So far, so...odd. The character-jumping is strange. But I'm actually enjoying it.
Ermingard wrote:Hmm, I saw you hadn't read "Enders Game" yet, Bob... I was absolutely obsessed with that book when I was fifteen. I read it uncountable times. I haven't touched it since then so I can't tell if it really is a good book or if it just was perfect for Ermingard aged 15. It has some fascinating themes though...
I've heard nothing but praise for Ender's Game, so when I saw it in a bookshop, I bought it without hesitation, along with The Fifth Head of Cerberus, which I also haven't read. :roll: :lol:
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've heard some hard criticism of Card over the years, so I've never realy thought of trying his books--even though the criticism is usually of his political views and recent work, not his early books.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”