Best Fantasy/Sci-fi Mode of Transport

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Best Fantasy/Sci-fi Mode of Transport

Post by stonemaybe »

What tickles your fancy? Milennium Falcon or a giant worm? AT-ATs were my fave when I was a kid.

I quite fancy one of these too...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2qsVSABhMU
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The Ebon Hawk, from Knights of the Old Republic, though that could just be because I've spent so much time pottering around in the Hawk that it feels like home.

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Good choice, Cov. I really liked the look/feel of the Ebon Hawk. I must've beat the game 6 times on Xbox, so it also had a homey feel for me.

I also like the Outrider, which belonged to Dash Rendar (Shadows of the Empire novel and N64 game):

Guess I'm just a fan of the YT series/Millennium Falcon style. Interesting that they're usually heavily modified freighters. Go freighters!
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Jaunting, from Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. Who needs a spaceship when you can just think yourself to where you need to be? ;)
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Ooh! How could I be on a Donaldson forum and forget Trumpet? Or even, assuming I could hire a crew that wouldn't annoy the hell out me, Captain's Fancy.
Lord Foul wrote:I also like the Outrider, which belonged to Dash Rendar (Shadows of the Empire novel and N64 game)
Was Shadows of the Empire any good? I heard mixed opinions on it. If I were, for instance, perusing some used N64 games and spotted Shadows at a bargain price, would it be worth a play?
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

CovenantJr wrote: Was Shadows of the Empire any good? I heard mixed opinions on it. If I were, for instance, perusing some used N64 games and spotted Shadows at a bargain price, would it be worth a play?
It's definitely a launch game. It was fun when you had nothing else to play in 1996, waiting for such heavy hitters as GoldenEye, Ocarina of Time, etc.

Nowadays though? Mostly average, clunky third-person shooting. Parts of it were memorable--especially the beginning battle on Hoth, but I think you'd be far better off with Rogue Squadron. That's a late-life N64 title that pretty much refines the space combat in Shadows. Very fun stuff.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I have Rogue Squadron. It's hard.

But not nearly as hard as Rogue Leader. Rogue Leader, I hate you so.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I, for one, would perfer to fenester my lightship through the Manifold. :wink: I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drum all day... :rockband: -TR 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Family-sized....

Personal runabout....

And for those times you need to wipe out a planet or two....
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nice. :D That top one looks awesome.

Always liked Hamilton's VoidHawks.

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I know it's hard to see, but that is supposed to be The Snowy Owl-Danlo's lightship...
fall far and well Pilots!
ur-monkey
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ur-monkey »

The TARDIS!

:D 8)
Quin, suffering from total amnesia, slowly discovers himself possessed of inexplicable abilities as his world expands...

https://www.quinsabduction.org/
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

give me the Enterprise: The one with the Holideck, thank you. Gods...you'd NEVER get me out of one of those damn things.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

SULACO

Measurements based on the length of 385 metres given in the ‘Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual’.

USS Sulaco
Conestoga Class Starship

The USS Sulaco en route to Acheron - 2179

LENGTH – 385 m (1263.1’)
WIDTH – 50 m (164’)
HEIGHT – 85 m (278.9’)

SPEED - 1.762 light years per sidereal day

We don’t see very much of the Sulaco internally. The main deck houses the hypersleep chamber, and locker room. It is not unreasonable to assume that the showers and galley are adjacent to the hypersleep chamber. It is also not unreasonable to assume that these are all on the same deck as the hangar bay. Adjacent to the hangar bay are equipment bays containing powerloaders, armaments and supplies for the dropships and APCs (missiles and supplies are only loaded into the dropships and APC immediately prior to a mission). The hangar bay has at least two airlocks. Also directly adjacent to the hangar bay is a ready room for the troops. This room contains all the marines weapons and equipment, plus lockers containing the marines personal effects.

If all the above rooms are on the one deck, then this deck is located on the underside of the ship, due to the dropships being ‘dropped’ out of a lower airlock.

The Sulaco is an almost completely automated troop transport. It only requires one synthetic Executive Officer to perform basic navigation duties such as orbital insertion.

If we use the Nostromo ‘4 metres per deck rule’, we would have to deduct 30 metres from the height to compensate for the lower comms antenna, plus make allowances for extra hull plating, we would have approximately 12 decks.

Rough calculations suggest a FTL speed of 694,681,166,666.667 KMH (or 11,578,019,444.444 KM/Min). Based on a distance of 37 light years (11.35 parsecs) to Zeta 2 Reticuli and 3 weeks travel time. Calculations are open to conjecture.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

ur-monkey wrote:The TARDIS!

:D 8)
You beat me to it.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

No kidding. I LOVE that blue box.

Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Avatar wrote:Nice. :D That top one looks awesome.

Always liked Hamilton's VoidHawks.

--A
I really liked the Voidhawks, though I think I'd make a better Blackhawk captain. It sure would be an awesome way to cross the galaxy though; no pesky g-forces to worry about, instantaneous, trouble free wormhole jumps. I liked the Adamist ships in Night's Dawn too, in ever aspect except one: they were all perfectly spherical. Logical or not, I just couldn't get on board with a whole bunch of ships that are just plain round. I want individuality!

My absolute favourite futuristic mode of transport though, is those tubes they use to get around New New York in Futurama. How awesome would that be for your daily commute?
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Nav wrote:My absolute favourite futuristic mode of transport though, is
those tubes they use to get around New New York in Futurama. How awesome would that be for your daily commute?
They are awesome. :thumbsup:
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Seems like the Heart of Gold would be entertaining.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

sdf-1 battle fortress was way coolImagebut i want my own fireflyImage
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”