The Amazing Potato

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Worm of Despite
Lord

The Amazing Potato

Post by Worm of Despite »

What's your favorite potato dish? Or do you even like potatoes?!

Baked sweet potatoes are by far my favorite. Add a Southern (generous) portion of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon--oh man!

Funnily enough, I can't stand a regular potato, even when it's loaded with cheese/bacon bits/sour cream. Wendy's is alright. Also had a good jacket potato at Regent's College refectory in London.
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

sweet taters:bake em in foil, peel em, pour in some drippings from say a roast or chicken, salt, white pepper, butter(yeah lots) a pinch of tarrogon and whip em up.
regular 'ol potatoes get peeled and boiled with a handfull of garlic cloves thrown in the water, tates and garlic get whipped up together with one & a half cups of scalded half&half with a stick of butter melted down in it, lots of salt and white pepper, these also make the best mashed tater pancakes.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Texas Roadhouse's loaded sweet potato, held for dessert.

This consists of a baked sweet potato, described as LF described it, with the addition of caramel sauce and melting marshmallows (and they usually serve this as a side dish option).

For white potatoes, my homemade garlic mashed potatoes (prepped exactly the same way as bloodguard bob's, with the peeled potatoes and garlic cloves riced together after boiling, before adding my selections of half & half, sour cream, butter, and various seasonings), served with home made gravy started from a roux, regardless whether it's from chicken or beef drippings, is da BOMB!!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

For the grill - cut potato into small pieces, throw them into a pile on a sheet of aluminum foil, add generous amounts of butter, salt, and fresh garlic. Wrap the whole pile in the aluminum foil, throw on the grill and leave them for about 25-30 minutes on low-med flame. Carefully open foil, and enjoy. The potatoes come out super soft and the butter/salt/garlic mixture is sublime.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

bloodguard bob wrote:sweet taters:bake em in foil, peel em, pour in some drippings from say a roast or chicken, salt, white pepper, butter(yeah lots) a pinch of tarrogon and whip em up.
i'm just gonna leave the tarragon OUT bob, k?
(blech, hates tarragon)

:biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Sweet potato pot pie is awesome...not sweet potato pie, but POT pie...It's a vegatarian dish, that uses Sweet potatos and Chick peas instead of meat.

I am also a big fan of hash browns/pan fires..pan fries take forever to cook though, unless you nuke them first for a bit...left over mashed potatos fries up as hashbrowns are awesome.

Like DLB I love grilled taters too...but I don't use the tin foil...used to, until I saw a BBQ cooking show were the chef just put them right on the grill...been doing it that way ever since.
You make a little maranade out of Olive Oil (Or EVOO) and chopped garlic, and whatever else you want; and just lay the slices right on the grill...a higher rack is better, flip them two or three times...really good, cause they get crispy on the outside.

(Have also it with Sweet potatos and carrots)
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

drew wrote:Sweet potato pot pie is awesome...not sweet potato pie, but POT pie...It's a vegatarian dish, that uses Sweet potatos and Chick peas instead of meat.
Oh! That does remind me of another really good recipe for sweet potatoes that I like.

African Vegetarian Stew

Av...I have no idea if the above stew actually resembles anything served on the entire African continent. It's just what it was called by the person I got it from.

Drew, will you please share the Sweet Potato Pot Pie recipe? That sounds awesome!
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

It was out of Canadian Living magazine...but here's a brief thumbnail version:

First; I'm sure that you can make a half decent pot pie crust Mel...just add a bit of cumin and paprika to it.

In a big pot, cook up a chopped onion, a few cloves of garlic, and a pinch of cinniman a Table spoon of paprika and cummin.

Cook until the onion is soft, then spinkle in a quarter cup of flour, 3/4 of a cup of vegtable stock---If you dont have veg stock, I would just use water-NOT some other type of stock..also right now add a big can of tomatos, and four medium sized cubed sweet potatos.
Simmer for about 15 minutes.

Add about two cups of chopped green beans, and a medium sized can of chick peas.
simmer for ten to fifteen minutes; until it thickens up.

That's basically it...the only tiresome is chopping the raw Sweet-taters.
It bakes for half an hour at 300 degrees.

It's really REALLY good.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

wow.

drew can cook!!! :biggrin: Y O U R O C K DREW!!!!! :R

ps...what the heck are you doing home this time of day?
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Ditto everything Luci said.

That sounds awesome as well.

It makes me happy to see recipes being shared here. :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I used to love sweet potatoes but I foundered on them once and just can't stand the sight of one now.

Drew, thanks for the tip on the grilled potatoes, I'll try that soon! I do grilled veggies like that, last weekend I used Vidalia (sp?) onions, zuchini and green peppers, marinated in olive oil* and salt/pepper, and they were wonderful!

*Out of respect to Menolly, I won't use the term "EVOO".....but I still love me some Rachel Ray.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Menolly wrote:Texas Roadhouse's loaded sweet potato, held for dessert.

This consists of a baked sweet potato, described as LF described it, with the addition of caramel sauce and melting marshmallows (and they usually serve this as a side dish option).
Wow! Sounds like the holy grail, to me. The nearest one is only 40 miles from here, too. Might make a weekend pilgrimage.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dlbpharmd wrote:*Out of respect to Menolly, I won't use the term "EVOO".....but I still love me some Rachel Ray.
:hnk:

See? But I knew you love me more Don!!
Lord Foul wrote:
Menolly wrote:Texas Roadhouse's loaded sweet potato, held for dessert.

Wow! Sounds like the holy grail, to me. The nearest one is only 40 miles from here, too. Might make a weekend pilgrimage.
LF, call and make sure that Texas Roadhouse does serve them that way before you make the trip. The menu does vary from location to location. I would be very upset if you drove all that way on my recommendation, and then they didn't serve what you went there for.

:::their green beans aren't bad either, but I'm sure you've had better southern-style green beans than theirs, living in the heart of the south like you do. Here in Gator Town, other than the ones I've learned to make myself, Texas Roadhouse's are as close to southern-style green beans as I can get:::
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Menolly wrote:Av...I have no idea if the above stew actually resembles anything served on the entire African continent.

:lol: If it does, it looks pretty far north to be using cumin etc. Not much vegetarianism in Africa btw. ;)

I love potatoes. Baked, fried or Roast for preference. Mashed too, (plain yoghurt instead of milk) ,but then I have to go to the effort of making gravy. Roast is best. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote:but then I have to go to the effort of making gravy.
I'm not criticising. Truly, I'm not.

But, what effort? Gravy is truly one of the simplest things...

Post by Avatar »

I'm lazy. And particular about my gravy. :D I think there's a thread about my gravy in here in fact. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote:I'm lazy. And particular about my gravy. :D I think there's a thread about my gravy in here in fact. :D
Well...that certainly piqued my interest. But if there is a thread, I don't recognize it by title. However, I did find an older thread about eggnog, so I'm going to peruse that and see if bumping it up would be helpful to Wadds...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:::double post, sorry:::

Well, the older eggnog thread won't be anymore helpful. Sorry Wadds...

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, the search function is broken...VAIN!!! :lol: Can't remember the title, sorry. :D

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Wedged sweet potatoes, sprinkled with pepper and dried herbs, roasted in the oven.

Boil small unpeeled new potatoes (do you call them 'new' elsewhere?), when done, drain, and toss with lots of butter with crushed garlic mixed in.

Boiled, mashed, and spread over the top of just about anything in a casserole dish and oven roasted until top of spuds are crispy. Things to put underneath - spicey, red-winey, gravy or tomato around any cooked veg with beef.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “The Galley”