How did you find Kevin's Watch?

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

How did you find Kevin's Watch?

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I found it by searching for Thomas Covenant one day when I was really bored. I actually stayed away from the message board for about 6 months. I would just occasionally read the updates. Again, I got ridiculously bored and decided to give the board a shot (it was my frist one so I was a bit wary) But I'm really glad I did! |G So how'd you guys come across this great place?

Pie and Cake
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I was actually doing a search on Thomas Covenant because I had heard rumors that SRD was finally writing the Last Chrons. This was about two months ago. I lurked here for a bit, reading the posts and such. Then decided to go ahead and register. Back about, oh 10 years ago I guess it's been now, I was on an old DOS BBS board. A fantasy board that had a Covenant thread. Of course, with the coming of Win95, most of those BBS boards went byebye. So, I was really disappointed when I couldn't access it anymore. I kept touch for awhile with some friends I had made there, but as time and life went by, I lost contact with them. I was then really busy with my growing family, and contented myself with just re-reading the books. I don't know why I didn't search the net before I did...wish I had...could have joined the Watch alot sooner then I did. I am very very happy I found it. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sylvanus found me in the philosophy chatroom on mIRC. My mIRC nick is Foamfollower, and he pointed me here. :D Not many people in my life have done me bigger favors.
Furls Fire wrote:I was then really busy with my growing family
And growing, and growing... :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Well, I told hubby this was the last one...unless HE was the one who plans on carry them from now on :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Danlo found me at a George Martin discussion board and recruited me... :)
Love as thou wilt.

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I used to always check the Sunday paper every week looking at the new book releases Hoping to find a new Covenant novel.(That was all I knew to do.) Then joined the 21st century, got a PC and one of the first things I searched for was.......drum roll, please.... A new Covenant novel and that brought me here! |G
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Hm, how DID I find Kevin's Watch. Well, I made the thing, hehe. I guess Kevin's Watch found me, heh.

Anyway, I guess I should answer a different question - How did I go about making the site. Well, I started reading Thomas Covenant series at the end of high school. Mainly because of two reasons. First, in a Contest of Champions in an Inquest magizine, they had a match between Rand al Thor and Thomas Covenant, and Covenant won. Being a WoT fan at the time, I was curious who was this character who kicked Rand's ass. The second reason is because a close friend of mine in high school got me into the series. So I read the series, loved it, and I talked about it all of the time with my friend. When we went our separate ways in college, I still kept in touch with my friend through e-mail, and eventually she brought up the idea of the coolness of making our own TC site. I was already working on my Mario Bros. site for a while at this point, so I had web experience. So I decided to throw something together, and put it up with my student server. Me and my friend always had a funny sense of humor about the TC series, that's why there's all of the goofy humor stuff on the site.

I didn't know what exactly the site would be at first. I just wanted to make something like those other fan sites I see for series such as the Wheel of Time. But I didn't want to make a Wheel of Time fansite, since there was a billion of those. So, since I couldn't find any TC fan sites at the time, it seemed like the best idea. I got the domain kevinswatch.com from Namezero for free for the first year (now they charge me money, grumble, heh) and I set up a free message board at eZBoard, which ever so slowly gained popularity. And here we are today, heh.

It's also pretty funny how we came up with the name for the site, Kevin's Watch. Our first choice was actually Whitegold.com. So just think, you could all be going to the Whitegold forums right now instead of the Watch. But, Whitegold.com was taken, so we rounded up a list of alternatives, which happened to be...(pulls up old e-mail)...

whitegoldring.com
kevinswatch.com
andelain.net
bloodguard.net
havenfarm.com
ur-lord.com
imaleper.com
hellfire.com
ranyhyn.com
thearchoftime.com

And Kevin's Watch won. Heh. We liked the name, because of the overall coolness of Kevin's Watch's roll in the series.

So yeah, here we are today. I still talk to my friend about Covenant, but I guess she's been too busy to take part in the Watch. I did get her to read the Gap series, though, heh. And she bought a couple of the t-shirts. Good fun.-jay
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

A neat little history lesson, Jay.

I came here through a google search of SRD, or TC, I don't remember which. I had been a member of no other boards, but decided to visit. It only took me 2 days of lurking to decide to become a member. And as they say, the rest is history.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's a great site, Jay. My favorite ever. Many thanks.

Before I found this site, I was never into message boards other than back in the old commodore BBS days. I think it was around the time Farscape was cancelled and all the good conversation was killed in the farscape chatroom that I started looking elsewhere.

I first found the site while looking for a quote or something off a search engine (probably looking to copy and paste to #farscape). Found it here, read a few threads, left a guest post (UnbelieverDjak... same nick on mIRC), and didn't really think about it until I came across the board again a few months later. I don't think I realized at the time that I'd been here before, but the second time stuck. I started posting regularly (I've never been a good lurker) right away, and the quality of the posts here has yet to recover ;) . I had to recruit Fist just to restore some balance.

I remember the first 50 posts were really hard. I felt like I was just kind of butting in, but after that I started to find my groove. Everyone here was incredibly nice to this noob named Sylvanus (for those that don't know, the Caer bit was only added when Vain brought the WGDs into play). 100, 500, then 1000 just flew by.

As sad as it may sound to my friends in meatspace, this board is an integral part of my life.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Did a Google search for Thomas Covenant and Lord Mhoram, and found the Land vs Middle Earth thread on the Old Watch, read it, and found the New Watch and registered.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I found it here: theland.antgear.com/index.html

That place led me to the old discussion board which then led to the new one.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Ditto...Did a search for Donaldson and The Land and it lead me to the site that Foul has linked to above. I followed the links there to here and have been here ever since. :D
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

kevinswatch wrote:The second reason is because a close friend of mine in high school got me into the series. So I read the series, loved it, and I talked about it all of the time with my friend. When we went our separate ways in college, I still kept in touch with my friend through e-mail, and eventually she
She? Dude, if you find a woman who will talk to you all the time about Covenant, marry her!!!!

imaleper.com is pretty cool!!! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Might attract some lepers who wanna meet some friends though...:?

:wink:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Interesting thought! It makes me wonder how many lepers know about TCTC. I have no idea what the state of leprosy is at this point in time. Is there much leprosy in countries with a high literacy rate?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I think I found The Land first, then popped over to the ezboard version of KW where I was besieged by pop-ups galore but noticed that the level of conversation was way more than I had ever seen insofar as discussing TCTC was concerned.

I offered back then to provide a home for KW - even if only an interim one - and thanks to Jay's good graces, the KW you see before you exists. Of course, I still think it's got some of the smartest people you're likely to see on one site (Hey Sky !! You reading this? ;) )

Where we're headed I have no idea but as long as there's a group of people willing to discuss TCTC - and the forthcoming last chrons - I will happily continue providing the means and resources needed to keep the discussion portion of KW going (jay doesn't wanna accept my doubloons for the entire KW :D )

As a point of note, The Land is also pretty much sponsored by me, but as with most things outside of this site, I don't interfere in the running of it - I only supply techie assistance when needed.

It's my little contribution towards ensuring that SRD and his works can be enjoyed by his fans - you and I :)
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

My adoration of Viggo Mortenson is welllllllll documented in the annals of Kevins Watch. I was a member of a Viggo Mortenson fan site under the name hippigirl.
A discussion came up about what kind of literature we all liked to read and of course I mentioned Thomas Covenant. A fellow sister in arms, Aragrothien told me about Kevins Watch and the news of the Third Chrons.
Well I high-tailed it over here, registered and lurked for a while and finally decided to move in. I havent left since and I'm afraid I havent gone back to the Viggo site...but I still LOVE him. :D

But I love this site and the members here a lot lot lot lot more :mrgreen:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

AWWWW!! :) You sweet little Elohim you!! :D We love you too! |G
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Lord Foul wrote:I found it here: theland.antgear.com/index.html
so did i!!!!

i joined almost straight away, then realized that i had never been on a message board & that they freaked me out, so kinda lurked 4 a very long time til i left home & got a computer of my own.

about that time a bought my own copies of the 2nd chrons, & rejoined the watch as it were. best thing i did in ages really.

sum sui generis
vs
Last edited by variol son on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Lord Foul wrote:I found it here: theland.antgear.com/index.html
so did i!!!!

i joined almost straight away, then realized that i had never been on a message board & that they freaked me out, so kinda lurked 4 a very long time til i left home & got a computer of my own.

about that time a bought my own copies of the 2nd chrons, & rejoined the watch as it were. best thing i did in ages really.

sum sui generis
vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Return to “The Summonsing”