Good Sci Fi?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Good Sci Fi?

Post by Rigel »

One of the problems with the "Red Box" system, where you basically get the movie out of a vending machine located in grocery stores, fast food places, and such, is that you have very little information beyond the title of the movie and a movie poster.

That's the only reason we rented The Planet, and we will never rent it again.

In fact, it now holds the record for least amount of time we've actually watched, at 11 minutes total!

All of which is a long-winded way of asking, what are some good Sci Fi films that have come out recently?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I don't think there have been any recently.

Check www.imdb.com to make sure (or for better descriptions), but I can't recall seeing any decent sci-fi for a while.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I hear that movie about the sun is especially good, but it seems to split people. Those that love it REALLY seem to love it, and those that don't....well....don't. I don't remember the name now, so my apologies. All I know is it has Cillian Murphy in it, which makes me curious about it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Thanks to my power of observation, there is a whole topic on the movie mentioned above on this very forum page of listings. It is called Sunshine. So there.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Sunshine was good as was Equilibrium-I've heard that I Am Legend is pretty good too--not many serious Sci-Fis appear to be on the horizon... :(
fall far and well Pilots!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Journey to the Center of the Earth ... if you're nine.

Star Wars: Clone Wars will be out any day.

Wall-E I hear was good.

X-Files has a movie out. Some like it.

Two Words. Space. Chimps.

10,000 BC?

Jumper?

Cloverfield?

Stargate: Continuum ...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sunshine was pretty good. I am Legend was sort of sci-fi I guess. Didn't see Jumper, and Cloverfield was more of a monster movie.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Really good SciFi is hard to get on the big screen - the best stuff requires the story to deal with larger issues and strong character development, and when the budget for the effects are factored in, the almost inevitable accompanying committee will start pissing all over the original script.

Witness I, Robot.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

At least you only wasted a buck. Probably sucked to have to take it back tho.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'll probably have my Asimov fan membership revoked for this . . . but I kind of liked I Robot. :oops:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Shoot the blasphemer!

:LOLS:

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Malik23 wrote:I'll probably have my Asimov fan membership revoked for this . . . but I kind of liked I Robot. :oops:
I enjoyed the Hell out of it. Sure, it's got nothing to do with Asimov's story, but it's a great yarn.

Post by Avatar »

I'm too much of a purist. Maybe if I'd never read any Asimov.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I enjoyed Robin Williams Bicentennial Man. But I have never read the Asimov story.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Jumper and Cloverfield were good. But the one was more teen melodrama, and the other let the monster take a back seat to the story.

X-Files is more about conspiracies and coverups.

Come on, guys, I want good, old fashioned space aliens getting blown up! Something like Independance Day, or Men in Black, or The Last Starfighter!

Lately, the only movies like this have been comic book adaptations. I might have to wait for The Hulk on DVD to get my fix.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Outlander should be out soon...
As an age old battle rages amongst the stars, Kainan's ship burns brightly as it crashes into the Nordic coast. As his space craft comes to rest in the fjords of ancient Norway, it's with dismay that Kainan realizes that he wasn't the only survivor. A second passenger, a Moorwen also emerges from the wreckage. A Fierce and animal-like creature, the Moorwen is intent on causing harm to those it perceives have wronged it. As the Moorwen kills everything in its path, Kainan must work together with the Vikings to destroy the beast before it destroys them all.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

God, will someone please just make the Gap series into a movie franchise, already?!?

The next Terminator movie looks interesting.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I am cautiously optimistic about both Terminator: Salvation and Avatar.

Post by Avatar »

Menolly wrote:I enjoyed Robin Williams Bicentennial Man. But I have never read the Asimov story.
Couldn't sit through the movie...have read the story several times.
Cail wrote:...Avatar.
Really? :LOLS:

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

No you lug nut....Avatar.

Return to “Flicks”