Your Fav/Best Star Trek Film?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

What's your fav?

Wrath of Khan
48%
Voyage Home
12%
The Motion Picture
12%
Generations
No votes
Next Generation two-hour Pilot Movie (TV)
No votes
Undiscoverd Country
4%
Search for Spock
4%
Other
20%

Total votes: 25

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Your Fav/Best Star Trek Film?

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I put my top seven in the pole, Other for the rest.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Those who've read my past posts are probably tired enough of my rants defending Star Trek: The Motion Picture...but I certainly have not tired of watching it. I am steadfastly convinced that TMP is not just the best of the Trek films, but also one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made.

Sure, I love Montalban in Wrath of Khan. Search for Spock is, maybe, the most "soulful" Trek film. And Voyage Home is the most "fun" one. These Trek films are for the fans, and there's nothing wrong with that. But TMP blew my mind before I had become a hardened Trek fan with definite ideas about what a Trek film ought to be like. TMP is an untypical Trek film, and that's fine with me. I enjoy it as a sci fi epic that just happens to take place in the Star Trek universe.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I would make nearly the same defense of ST:V.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I also voted for The Motion Picture because it was an introduction of the characters I had come to know from a long time ago.

In addition, I love the scene where Spock, after going off and investigation V-ger, comes back - at peace with himself and his human side and his love and devotion for Kirk.

I think it solidifies the brotherhood between Kirk and Spock.

I also feel that it was closest to the original series with an introduction, a problem, a discovery of how to deal with it and the final solution.
The King has one more move.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I also like TMP for many of the reasons that MM went through, and I love Khan for the action scenes. But my favorite is The Undiscovered Country. I think it has the best overall story, with the Klingon crises as the centerpiece to the larger story of the age all of the characters are feeling. I love the opening scene of Sulu at the helm of Excelsior, and the exploding Klingon moon.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well said, caamora! I'm glad you regard TMP highly, too.
Cail wrote:I would make nearly the same defense of ST:V.
I'll grant ST V this: the trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy remains more interesting than any of Picard's crew in the Next Gen films. :biggrin:

(I really seem to be bashing TNG in my recent posts. But it's not my fault that the Next Gen movies left me totally cold.)
dlbpharmd wrote: But my favorite is The Undiscovered Country. I think it has the best overall story, with the Klingon crises as the centerpiece to the larger story of the age all of the characters are feeling. I love the opening scene of Sulu at the helm of Excelsior, and the exploding Klingon moon.
I agree, that was a great opening, and it was very cool to see Sulu finally command his own starship. :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Generations is better than First Contact. I hated what they did to the Borg, and McDowell's villain was more interesting than the Borg Queen (which is strangely anti-Borg, when you think about it).
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Loremaster wrote:Generations is better than First Contact. I hated what they did to the Borg, and McDowell's villain was more interesting than the Borg Queen (which is strangely anti-Borg, when you think about it).
Each to his own. I thought the Borg Queen made more sense. The purpose of the Borg, IMO, was always doomed to fragmentation without a unifying center. Calling it queen or king or jester, knowing that it's all compiled information on remote download, makes no difference. It's purpose was to seduce a 'male' machine with a human emotion chip, so it chose female.

First Contact is currently my favorite. That I had to pick Other has made me a little peeved. I certainly love most of the rest (2, 3, 4, 6 & 7) and like the others well enough. Except Nemesis.

Actually, the scene in which Picard shows Lilly Earth from orbit is my favorite, but then I'm a sucker for Oh my god; science fiction is real! moments. The scene in Voyage Home where the oceanographer is beamed aboard is also priceless.
ItisWritten
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

matrixman wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote: But my favorite is The Undiscovered Country. I think it has the best overall story, with the Klingon crises as the centerpiece to the larger story of the age all of the characters are feeling. I love the opening scene of Sulu at the helm of Excelsior, and the exploding Klingon moon.
I agree, that was a great opening, and it was very cool to see Sulu finally command his own starship. :)
I wish they had done more with Sulu at the helm. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Sulu is trying to get to the conference....
Captain Sulu: In range?

Helmsman: Not yet sir.

Captain Sulu: Come on, come on.

Helmsman: She'll fly apart!

Captain Sulu: *Fly her apart then!*
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Right on, Soulbiter. That scene is one of my favorite scenes in any Star Trek film. That and the Praxis shockwave crashing into the Excelsior. Damn that was awesome at the theater. :-)

Okay so I was bound to get all caught up in this thread at some point.

Star Trek II is by a wide margin my favorite. Mainly because it is the best example of what I enjoyed about Star Trek as I became familiar with it as a kid. Star Trek was infrequently quiet and subdued. My main issue with STTMP is the relative calm of the film. Even at it's climax its still tepid. I don't dislike it at all but it seems very calm compared to all the other films and adventure (if that is an aspect of Star Trek that you enjoy) is never calm. A good science fiction film doesn't have to be energetic it can be intelligent and reasoned and still very compelling. That however isn't the way I view and have viewed Star Trek, though it has its moments.

Star Trek:TMP is Spock
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is Kirk
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (isn't Spock) its McCoy
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is equal measures Kirk/Spock/McCoy
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is a Chimpanzee running loose in an upscale restaurant's kitchen, bathing in the risotto and throwing feces against the walls horrifying the patrons sending them running out of the building screaming for the cops.
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is Kirk with some Spock thrown in to keep things somewhat under control and of course a bit of Sulu.

IMHO of course. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is a Chimpanzee running loose in an upscale restaurant's kitchen, bathing in the risotto and throwing feces against the walls horrifying the patrons sending them running out of the building screaming for the cops.
:lol:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

For me it's a toss-up between Wrath of Khan, and Search For Spock.

--A
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

not on your list, but "First Contact" is my fave -- neck and neck with "Wrath of Khan". For me they are both COMPLETE MOVIES, not extended episodes. ALthough it helps to know the series if you watch Khan, and the three important Borg episodes for FC, it is not necessary to view them as great films. I am impressed by the assured directing in FC, and the acting ... whew, Stewart is simply mesmerizing ... but let's not take anything away from Alfe Woodard ... she held up so well and was amazing.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Post by Avatar »

Visually and conceptually, I liked First Contact. Liked the way it drew the story lines together.

Was always disappointed that we didn't get a movie out of the Dominion war, but it did give DS9 the kind of conclusion that series often lack.

--A
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Avatar wrote:Visually and conceptually, I liked First Contact. Liked the way it drew the story lines together.

Was always disappointed that we didn't get a movie out of the Dominion war, but it did give DS9 the kind of conclusion that series often lack.

--A
Being a Star Trek fan from back in the 60's when it played in "Prime Time", my favorite is "Wrath of Khan". Number 2 would be the most recent "reinterpretation" "Star Trek".

I remember being initially disappointed with TMP, expecting more, but over the years, my appreciation of the movie has increased remarkably.

The "Voyage Home" should have been burned before editing it sucked balls so much. :evil:
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
aynze
Servant of the Land

Post by aynze »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Avatar wrote:Visually and conceptually, I liked First Contact. Liked the way it drew the story lines together.

--A
Being a Star Trek fan from back in the 60's when it played in "Prime Time", my favorite is "Wrath of Khan". Number 2 would be the most recent "reinterpretation" "Star Trek".

I remember being initially disappointed with TMP, expecting more, but over the years, my appreciation of the movie has increased remarkably.

The "Voyage Home" should have been burned before editing it sucked balls so much. :evil:
Oh no, The Voyage Home was my first introduction to Star Trek - "I know this ship like the back of my hand" [clunk] still brings tears to my eyes.

But the most recent movie prequel was excellent, and I really hope we will see that cast again.

My husband and I still sit down to watch TNG episodes but I haven't cared to see those movies more than once.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I like the new Star Trek reboot the best, but I am not sure if this thread was started before that one came out.

First Contact
The Voyage Home
The Undiscovered Country
The Search For Spock
The Wrath of Khan
Generations
The Final Frontier
The Motion Picture

That being said, I like all the movies. I believe that is all of them. What? They made two other TNG movies? Nah, I don't believe that. The Motion Picture is one that I try hard to appreciate, but it is so slow, and dry, and sad. Kind of like Blade Runner. I hate that movie. I would like to rank Final Frontier higher, because I think it is hilarious
now that I now the story behind the movie.

As time goes by, I appreciate TNG movies less and less and the original cast more and more, so don't be surprised to see FC bumped down to below Wrath someday. My top five are really close, actually, so it wouldn't be surprising to me to know that next week, I would order them differently.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

This needed to be updated now that there are a few more films to choose from. In order of my favorites not necessarily in order of quality.

1. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek 8: First Contact
3. Star Trek 11: Star Trek
4. Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home
5. Star Trek 13: Beyond
6. Star Trek 12: Into Darkness
7. Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country
8. Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock
9. Star Trek 7: Generations
10. Star Trek 1: The Motion Picture
11. Star Trek 10: Nemesis
12. Star Trek 9: Insurrection
13. Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier

Some of these jockey for position at different times depending upon my mood and of course this is just my opinion.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Avatar »

I haven't watched any of the new ones. Not one.

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Avatar wrote:I haven't watched any of the new ones. Not one.

--A

How dare you! 8O

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”