Regrets?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Wish for a do-over?

My life has been charmed, I wouldn't change a thing.
5%
Made some mistakes, but no regrets.
63%
Where's the ctrl+z button for my life??
32%

Total votes: 19

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Regrets?

Post by deer of the dawn »

I wish I could say I was the "no regrets" type, but I have to honestly say that I wish for a do-over on many things in my life.

I would have handled so many things differently. Hindsight's 20-20, and all that. Oh well.

In some things, I made the best of what I was given. In others, I was given the best and messed it up. Or failed to be grateful and see how blessed I was.

How about you?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I regret that I never saw Kenneth Branagh live on stage in London last year during his Ivanov tour. It angers me to no end that I could have bought front row tickets in West End.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Yeap.... I have regrets. It would be nice to do over a few major things in my life. Nothing I wish to discuss in a public forum tho.

But.... life moves forward and you have to go with it or get left behind.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Mistakes, but no regrets. Wouldn't be the person I am if I'd done things differently. :D

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I used to share that sentiment, Av. But I was only in denial about the ton of regrets I had. So, I don't mean to be rude, but outta my way, man, I gotta hit that reset button.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Agree with Av!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I wouldn't change the biggest mistake/regret of my life. Had I not married the person I married, I wouldn't have Cailette.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Thinking back, the failures and so-called bad decisions of my life more often than not led to new opportunities. I had an awesome military career that ended because of my asthma flaring up , and I was depressed for a very long time -- I had worked hard to get where I was, and felt I had to start over. SO I went to college and now have had my own business for 10 years, which is doing very well, and I am happy and proud.

things have a way of working out, its just hard to see that when things are down.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

There's a lot of things I would do differently if I had the opportunity, but I don't feel very regretful about them. That's life. You live and you learn, and all that.

When it all comes down to it, the past is just a convenient fiction. Spending too much time on regret isn't much different than wallowing in self pity.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Syl wrote:When it all comes down to it, the past is just a convenient fiction. Spending too much time on regret isn't much different than wallowing in self pity.
Really good way of putting it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm in agreement with Av, the Bob, Cail and Syl.
I have definitely made mistakes.
But I have lived, learned, grown and loved from them.
No reset.

...although there are some outstanding I still wish to somehow make right, if I can...
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

My biggest regrets come from a video game, so I'd say my life's charmed. But I've still been through a lot and have made choices that were destructive, but they were essential experiences in making me a stronger, more informed person. I'd be much different had I avoided them.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Lord Foul wrote:My biggest regrets come from a video game, so I'd say my life's charmed.
Don't worry. You've got plenty of time. :twisted:

I'm in the "mistakes but no regrets" camp, for the reasons outlined so ably above by Av, et al. If you don't make mistakes, how can you learn?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Nevertheless, my plan now is to somehow plug my PS2 into my brain and then hit the reset button.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

matrixman wrote:Nevertheless, my plan now is to somehow plug my PS2 into my brain and then hit the reset button.
Let us know how that turns out. If it works, I might change my vote. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

aliantha wrote:
matrixman wrote:Nevertheless, my plan now is to somehow plug my PS2 into my brain and then hit the reset button.
Let us know how that turns out. If it works, I might change my vote. :lol:
But he wouldn't remember anything, would he? :D

Let me clarify. I did some monumentally idiotic things in my youth. I also was not a true friend when someone really needed me, and that kind of thing I regret bitterly. I don't like who I was for most of the ten years that I was stoned continually. However, I also recognize and receive grace from God, and realize that I am forgiven. Therefore there is no point in "wallowing". The fact is that there is no do-over (as far as we know). Still, when I remember things-- and at my age there is plenty to remember, good and bad-- I wish I could have been there for that friend, or not thrown away that opportunity because it was too frightening at the time to contemplate going through with.

Still, then I likely wouldn't have the cool and amazing things that are in my life now. So while I ask, "Where's that button" it doesn't mean I'll hit it. (Dang it, I'm still pretty wishy-washy, deriving a feeling of significance from unresolved personal conflict. Where's the do-over for personality?)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I regret taking the blue pill. Or was it the red pill? I regret color-blindness.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Oh no, you took the wrong pill, didn't you, dAN? You could've been our savior.
deer of the dawn wrote: I also recognize and receive grace from God, and realize that I am forgiven. Therefore there is no point in "wallowing".
On a completely serious note, (one of) my problem(s) is that I find it hard to forgive myself for anything.

That doesn't mean I wallow in self-pity. If I did, I'd be spamming the "How do you feel today?" thread every day. No, I'm the kind who keeps it all in.
(Dang it, I'm still pretty wishy-washy, deriving a feeling of significance from unresolved personal conflict. Where's the do-over for personality?)
I'm not sure the PS2 has enough processing power for that. Maybe try a PS3.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Once you have worked out how to and then have finished resetting.... can I borrow your PS2/3 pwetty pwease ??

Being female, I would probably need an X box

Return to “General Discussion Forum”