The One True Religion?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

The One True Religion?

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Check out this link...
www.principiadiscordia.com/
Some of you may know about this but its worth a hearty laugh nonetheless... :lol:
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

What the hell?! :? :lol:
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

They are known as the Discordian Society, a bizarre organization (or disorganization, depending on how one approaches it) that esstentially mocks all modern religions and follows the goddess of Chaos. Well not really follows... Its confusing but funny.
As I said its worth a laugh or two...
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Sounds awsome. How do I join? :) Are you a member? Do they do anything else but the website?
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

If you like the Discordians you should research the Church of the Subgenius--praise Bob! Subgenius not the greatest link some others are denied by strange public school censors.... :D (strangely enough both of these "religions" evolved out of Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea's great Illuminatus! trilogy)
Last edited by danlo on Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I have to say the Discordians are pretty original. Whatever gets you through the day I suppose. I guess we could be worshiping the milk leftover from eating a bowl of Captain Crunch. Anything is possible.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The Discordian Society, eh? Reminds me of this somewhat.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Well the Discordians were started in 1958 by Gregory Hill and Kerry Thornley who also authored the Principia Discordia. Illuminatus! would later be based in part of the Principia.
I'm not a member and I don't know much more about the group but the notion is amusing. They've formed a joke religion to satirize organized religion. And to simply stop taking everything so seriously.
I do however love conspiracies which is the topic of Illuminatus!

If you noticed the Principia site has a forum not unlike Kevins Watch, well same format/host I think.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, just to show the possible dangers...

At one time in comic books, the hottest things were the Teen Titans, the X-Men and their spinoff mutant books, and the ninja-riddled Daredevil comic. (Elektra was a ninja in the comic.) So these guys said, "Hey, let's bust on them! Let's make a joke comic! We'll call it, let's see... I got it! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! And instead of that 'Stick' dude in Daredevil, we'll have a rat named 'Splinter'!!"

And they swept the world, making a gajillion dollars in the process. So watch out for this "joke religion" that "satirizes organized religion"! We may all be kneeling at their throne soon enough! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Fist and Faith wrote:Well, just to show the possible dangers...

At one time in comic books, the hottest things were the Teen Titans, the X-Men and their spinoff mutant books, and the ninja-riddled Daredevil comic. (Elektra was a ninja in the comic.) So these guys said, "Hey, let's bust on them! Let's make a joke comic! We'll call it, let's see... I got it! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! And instead of that 'Stick' dude in Daredevil, we'll have a rat named 'Splinter'!!"

And they swept the world, making a gajillion dollars in the process. So watch out for this "joke religion" that "satirizes organized religion"! We may all be kneeling at their throne soon enough! :D
Yikes! What a great point and I'm impressed with your knowledge of comic history.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Don't worry Fist. I'll protect you from the Discordians and the teenage mutant ninja turtles. Personally, I'll take the turtles over both Daredevil and the Teen Titans. DC Comics can't hold a candle to Marvel (If you disagree, just look at the story lines of several mid to late 70's Batman and Superman comics. Same goes for Daredevil, virtually no decent stories until the 80's)
By the way the Discordians have been around for almost 50 years so I would'nt be too worried...

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Thanks, cf. :)
IIRC, you have more than me, but I do have a couple thousand comics, after all. :)

KS, I think all the publishers and titles have had their moments of glory. For example, the Legion of Superheroes. After their sometimes awful beginnings, who ever would have imagined they'd have among the most extraordinary comics ever?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

You have built for yourselves psychic suits of armor, and clad in them, your vision is restricted, your movements are clumsy and painful, your skin is bruised, and your spirit is broiled in the sun.

Great advice from the goddess of Discordia. :!:
It's a shame but I can't get to the forum to see what kind of things they talk about. Everytime I try the screen says "critical error" or something like that. :roll:
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

search google for "the flat earth society"... i need say no more.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Kinslaughterer wrote:By the way the Discordians have been around for almost 50 years so I would'nt be too worried...
If I were you, I'd be more worried about their mortal enemies, the Accordions. :screwy:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Actually, its the Aneristic movement, which stands for the opposite of the Erisians (I was bored and read the book)...
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

In the sense of which Christian faith is the one true faith, the answer would be Apostolic Christianity, which though that particular name is used today, it is no longer valid, as so many of that denomination have incorporated false doctrines from Catholicism and Protestantism. Catholicism itself is the ultimate corruption of Christianity, having incorporated so many pagan practices that it ceased to resemble true Christianity more than 1900 years ago....

Sorry, I hope I didnt insult any Catholics, but these are not opinions, only facts you can find in any theological history book, (or secular ones for that matter) or you can find on the internet.

Sorry, I know this was a silly thread, but I felt the need to place something serious in it related to the thread title.......
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

how the heck did this get moved here???? I didnt move this!

Please mighty Gen Disscussion mods, please move this back to the Close!
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:lol:

Hey--My religion! :)

Anyone can join, you don't need to do anything, and you're perfectly free to start your own church with the bits of it that you like, and discard all the bits that you don't.

Thats pretty much what happend with the 'SubGenius" thing. Every discordian is a fully authorised Pope, free to rework the structure of the church in any way that he/she likes.

It was a reaction to the prohibitive, male dominated religions, and doesn't require that you have any faith in it. We also don't go in for prayer much, considering it far too dangerous.

If, as I've said, one can sift the dross for the actual messages, you might be surprised at how much sense there is.

Oh yeah-- We make no claims to having the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth in large, economy-sized bottles. You have to find it for yourself.

Take it Easy
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

danlo wrote:...these "religions" evolved out of Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea's great Illuminatus! trilogy.
Just by the way danlo, The Principia Discordia pre-dates the Illuminatus! trilogy by 20 years or so. In fact, the first book, The Golden Apple, is dedicated to the authors of the Principia, Kerry Thornley and Gregory Hill.

Later

Return to “The Close”