Reading the Stand (***Expect Spoilers***)

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Reading the Stand (***Expect Spoilers***)

Post by Orlion »

So far, so good, I just finished the part where the Trashcan Man is introduced, and I'm liking it. I will admit, though, Randell Flagg seems horribly out of place... everything else seems feasible and then there's Mr. Flagg...but it's early enough in the story that it is all right.
Last edited by Orlion on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Just keep going.

Which version are you reading?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Complete and uncut, my roommate would never have me read another...

I hear that question all the time, though, is it possible to get the cut version without resorting to a used book?
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I don't know. I think I have a beat-up old paperback of the original somewhere.

The expanded version is superior, so stick with it. Trashcan is a significantly larger character in it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

That's what my roomate says (I think it's one of his main reasons for liking the complete one over the "original").

Nick just met Tom. One thing that has amazed me about King is his uncanny ability to come up with diverse, believable characters...
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's the strength of his characters which allows him to write about such off-the-wall stuff and have it taken seriously.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion - i hvae rarely cared about a character as much as the judge. King did an amazing job in that. stick with it and you will be rewarded. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Don't think I've met the judge yet, but I like the vast majority of the characters so far. My favorite thus far has to be Nick Andros... not entirely sure why, but I'm always looking forward to the parts that involve him.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

One of my favourites. Always thought Flagg was done really well...what are you finding incongruous about him?

(Also prefer the full version...my first copy was the abridged one.)

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Not really anything against Flagg himself, it's just that the beginning of the book is, in my mind, very science fictionish. Flagg, being a very supernatural character, seemed a little out of place. This is becoming less of an issue as the book continues, as Flagg becomes one of the central points of the story, and the outbreak is pretty much complete. My comment was mostly an initial reaction
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Gotcha. Will have to read it again...guess you just chose my next book for me. :D

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, I've been distracted a little from reading anything, but I'm back to finish off the Stand (eventually, it's still a ways off :P ) I have just gotten to the point where Nick and Co. have decided to leave for Boulder, Colorado. Can't wait until they face-off with Flagg's ilk :P
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Oh, I finished my reread ( a while back ;) ) and I see what you meant about the sudden introduction of a mystical element. There wasn't really any warning before you meet Flagg, and then King goes all purple and descriptive on him. :lol:

I didn't really get the feel of "sci-fi" from it, but mainly because it's still pretty contemporary. (I seem to vaguely remember that he changed the "setting" date for the unabridged version...I'm sure the original, (which I read first many years ago), was set in an earlier time period. Anyway, I guess I don't equate the escape of a killer virus with sci-fi...it's much too present-day realistic sounding.

I did notice though, as one tiny bit of foreshadowing, (something King usually overdose), in the introduction to the unabridged version, he calls it a tale of dark christianity...so we do get a small herald of the mystical.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm now at chapter 48, which I shall read soon, since a quick glance at the opening paragraph revealed "God may know, but Trashcan Man did not." It's a nice and long one as well, shall enjoy it later on tonight after I pick up my roommate from work and move some furniture.

One main thought: Harold's a
Spoiler
douchebag
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Ha!
That he is.
...and yet.

I do so love these threads written as someone works their way through one of the books, or a series. Having done one myself, it's fun to be on the other side and be a voyeur on the thread originator's experiences. :grinlove:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Harold is indeed. One of my favorite lines from the book (and I can't quote it verbatim) has him retreating to his sleeping bag to "masturbate bitterly".
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Menolly wrote: I do so love these threads written as someone works their way through one of the books, or a series. Having done one myself, it's fun to be on the other side and be a voyeur on the thread originator's experiences. :grinlove:
Agreed, it's one of the main reasons I like the GAP thread, allows me to relive somewhat that first reading experiance... that and the added excitement of wanting to know what the reader thinks of it...(which is sometimes followed by disappointment in that reader when he doesn't realize how great the book is :P )
Avatar wrote:I didn't really get the feel of "sci-fi" from it, but mainly because it's still pretty contemporary.
Which is fine, I don't view time period as being important in Science fiction. I actually consider Crichton's Andromeda Strain to be science fiction, and the first couple hundred pages kinda gave me the same feeling as Andromeda Strain did, hence my feeling of sci-fi.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Cail wrote:Harold is indeed. One of my favorite lines from the book (and I can't quote it verbatim) has him retreating to his sleeping bag to "masturbate bitterly".
Yeah, I think I just read that!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

All righty, I'm getting to the point where I may be crossing into spoiler territory, so I changed the topic title to reflect that.

What I shall talk about now is the almost complete lack of encounters as our heroes reunite in Free Zone, Colorado. Aside from Redman's group encounter with the "zookeepers", the freezoners don't seem to run into any conflicts with people as they make their way towards Colorado. I mean, in a post-apocalyptic world, you'd think there'd be more groups of bandits waylaying the side of the roads to ambush unsuspecting prey. Here's my thoughts as to why it may not be the case in the Stand:

1)That's not what the story is about, so obviously King's not going to write about it :P

2)If Glenn (the sociologist) is correct in his views as he related them drunkenly to Stu on Flagstaff Mt, and most people are somewhat good, it would follow that chances of meeting rogues would be smaller then not seeing people due to shyness (as had been said in the Stand) or meeting people who want to tag along, if not for the sake of good then for the sake of comraderie.

3)This is my main reason, I think the influence of the two dreams have affected the survivors in such a way that this would account for the lack of rogues. People, egged on by these dreams, are deciding to group together with Mother Abigal or Randell Flagg. Because of this mass gathering of most if not all the survivors, such things like road side bandits are not around, since they may more likely be heading out west to throw in their lot with Flagg.

In other news, I've currently finished the chapter where Kojak has joined our heroes in Colorado.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Apart from the influence of the dreams, I think it's just the sheer lack of numbers among survivors.

It's the dreams that eventually draw everybody together, in whichever direction their respective inclinations send them follow the dream.

With less than 1% of people left alive, you could wander something as big as the US for years without seeing anybody. I always thought there were more encounters than there should be, and rationalised it by assuming the dreams are sending people in roughly similar directions.

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”