Pantheon: The Novel

Moderator: Xar

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Pantheon: The Novel

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm not writing one, I was thinking of a different way of playing Pantheon. You see, I don't write. For the most part, I don't see the need. I mean, I already know the point of the story. I know that, no matter what obstacles I might come up with, I will also come up with solutions. I will achieve the goal I had in mind. So why bother? I'm extraordinarily grateful for those who are driven to write out what's in their heads, but it doesn't work for me.

However, Pantheon is different. If viewed a certain way, we are many authors writing the same story. My goals may or may not be achieved! There are surprises in my story, because it's not exclusively mine. Even when I'm annoyed when what I'm trying to do is messed with by someone or other, I'm thrilled about the interaction of it all. Because if I wrote a story about Zephyr or Bhakti, there'd be no surprises. Nothing could possibly prevent me from having them do exactly what I want them to do.

So I was thinking. Wouldn't it be interesting if our turns were somewhat long. Pam says she always writes huge submittals. What if we all did. What if what each of us attempted did succeed, much like in Purgatory, unless someone screwed with it. What if Xar's job was to edit the stories together each turn when two or more of us, intentionally or not, interacted. Xar would only have to write anything for those parts, and the rest of our results would simply say: "You succeeded in X. You succeeded in Y. You succeeded in Z.

We'd still play the game without knowing anything about each other that we didn't want known. My results wouldn't necessarily reveal the other deity's hand in things. Maybe I'd just know things didn't go right, and I'd have to try to figure out why not.

And at the end of the game, we'd put it all together, reading the entire novel by reading each others' results for the first time. Turn 1 would be Chapter One, etc. It would jump back and forth through all our submissions, and would include Xar's edits for the interactions. Aside from the different things happening in the different domains and different parts of the world, the chapter would contain all of our writing styles, as well as Xar's.

I'm not actually suggesting this. :lol: It would be outrageously complex. Hideously so. But the idea intrigues me. In a way, we're all interactive authors as things are. It would be interesting if we were truly writing a story.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Pantheon: The Novel

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:Pam says she always writes huge submittals.

You're barking up the wrong tree, mister...
...although thanks to some input from Serloth, there may be a reinforcing story coming from Agapé in the next Aesir turn...
Fist and Faith wrote:I'm not actually suggesting this. :lol: It would be outrageously complex. Hideously so. But the idea intrigues me. In a way, we're all interactive authors as things are. It would be interesting if we were truly writing a story.
Reminds me somewhat of another campaign of Xar's I've heard a few tales about...eh, Mephiston? ;)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Why don't you volunteer to edit all the results everybody ever got into a narrative once the game is over Fist? ;)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah, I can only dream!!!!!

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Pantheon”