Wheel of Time 12 released today

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Wheel of Time 12 released today

Post by kevinswatch »

Anyone still reading this bloody series? I suffered through books 7, 8, 9, 10, never read 11. I'm mainly just curious how the new dude is doing (Sanderson).

-jay
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Re: Wheel of Time 12 released today

Post by Cleburne »

kevinswatch wrote:Anyone still reading this bloody series? I suffered through books 7, 8, 9, 10, never read 11. I'm mainly just curious how the new dude is doing (Sanderson).

-jay
That news to me , are you sure its out kevinswatch, if it is I,ll go off and but it tomorrow ;)
Book 11 was quiet good , the story line started to speed up a bit.
I believe Sanderson is doing a good job with the book as Robert Jordon left alot of material before his untimely death .
Me personally am looking forward to these last 2 books in the series.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I made it to the end of book 6 and gave up... but that was years ago. I need to read them all again before starting on the new ones. And the thought of forcing myself through 7-10 are not appealing to me :(
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, I agree with Cleburne that 11 was a huge improvement over the previous few books. (Of course, blank paper would have been an improvement over 10, but 11 was pretty good.)

I'll be getting and reading them...no way have I come this far, (all 11 bks and the prequel) to leave some blank spots on my shelf. :D

--A
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, I keep hearing that book 11 was better. However, dear lord, book 10 was the worst thing I've ever read in my life. I'll read book 11 soon. My main problem is that it's been so many years since I last read the series, god help me if I remember any of what was going on, especially with all of those annoying minor characters.-jay

(It's so hard to CARE about any of the female characters in that series, especially all of the annoying minor aes sedai characters.)
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

I'll be getting and reading them...no way have I come this far, (all 11 bks and the prequel) to leave some blank spots on my shelf. :D

--A
Well what can I say dont have much money floating around this month so I shouldn,t ave done it but I was drawn to Waterstones bookstore by a magnet lol and purchased the new book ;) there was loads of them waiting as I entered the store so its done .It appears there will be 2 more books after this to finish the series.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, they realised that one book wouldn't be enough, and with Jordan dead, they could probably get away with not publishing a last volume that looked like an encyclopedia, 3 or 4 years later. :lol: Let us know how it goes. :D

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Yeah, I saw this book at my local bookstore a couple weeks ago. The owner offered it to me for 30% off, but I declined... I vowed never to buy a hardcover WoT book again after Sanderson decided to extend it by three books. Enough is enough! And I agree, Crossroads of Twilight was atrocious, and the prequel wasn't that much better...

But a may ask for it for Christmas... :roll:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

:lol: I never buy hardcover books anyway.

--A
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

I finished it. The new Author did a great job. There were a couple parts that were easy to distinguish as the new Author's take on Jordan's world. He does a good job of keeping to the style of writing that Jordan uses for most of the book. The ending though was weak for Rand.

I actually enjoyed the chapters with the girls this time. This novel focuses mostly on Rand and Egwene. There are some Matt scenes and very little Perrin story arcs to follow.

Once again the Shadow really doesn't play any real threat beyond the unlucky red-shirt character.

I feel depressed for buying it at it's monstrous cost. I started out a hardcore fan of the series but like many I think I fell into that love hate reason to keep reading it.

If you like this series it's worth reading.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Kevin cant believe u finished it already my when did you start it :?:

Post by Avatar »

Thanks for the info...Rand and Egwene are probably my least favourite story lines. I'll get it, but I don't think I'll rush. :D

--A
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Cleburne wrote:Kevin cant believe u finished it already my when did you start it :?:
I bought the day it was released and finished it two days later. Five years of waiting. I could scream at GRRM about his lagging Songs of Fire and Ice series. I basically hate the authors I love. That includes you Stephen R Donaldson.... just kidding. I love all your worlds, can't get enough of it.
Darujhistan
Stonedownor

Post by Darujhistan »

Never read any of it, I will do though, even if I have to suffer through a poor stretch of books. Far more interested in ASOIAF which i will be strating shortly, then the Bas-Lag trilogy by Mieville for a change of pace. I see me starting WOT probably when the final book is released.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”