Gap Errors

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Gap Errors

Post by Orlion »

From Stephen R. Donaldson's website:
Readers of this site have mentioned that the text of the e-versions of the GAP books is significantly corrupt: corrupt in a way that commonly happens when a book is scanned and posted without proofreading. "Careless" is the kindest word I can think of to describe the problem. I have contacted Bantam/Spectra about this, but the editor declines to take any action unless I can provide specific examples (as many as possible?). Well, I don't have TIME to re-proofread the GAP books right now: I need to be hard at work on "The Last Dark". In addition, the mental gear-shift of going back into Angus and Morn while I'm working on Covenant and Linden would probably wreck my transmission. So....

Help? Anyone? If you have the time and the inclination to tackle such a laborious task, your efforts would be much appreciated--at least by me (my editor would probably curse and gnash her teeth).

2/3/10
Perhaps we can organize a re-read and comparison of sorts... should be fairly quick if we can get enough people to work on different parts, and it'd be more efficient to!

Just checked Random Houses website, looks like all the books with the exception of Forbidden Knowledge are available in the questionable e-format...

I say, let's have at it! 8)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'd certainly be willing.

But, alas, I have no eReader.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:I'd certainly be willing.

But, alas, I have no eReader.
You can download one for either the Kindle or the Nook onto your computer and read e-books like that(I'd prefer the later, since it can read PDFs). I find out how to do it and whether the Gap e-books exist in different forms (I know they're on Kindle, but I don't know yet if they're on the other ones).
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

All right! They exist at B & N, and further more, the website had this to say:
eBooks, also known as electronic books, are the digital equivalent of printed books. Barnes & Noble eBooks can be read on the iPhone/iTouch, Blackberry, or PC and Mac computers. Please check back for an expanded list of other supported devices.

To read eBooks on your device, you'll need the free Barnes & Noble eReader, the leading eBook formatting application. It's simple to install, easy to use, and free to download. (links to Download the free eReader CDS page)
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

ok, I could do this.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Awesome! We could probably each do half of The Real Story, then determine who gets what book afterwards... or even one person could do The Real Story and the other does another book... hmm... that'd probably be quicker.

As for others, feel free to join in as well! The more people we have looking, the more likely and quicker all the errors will be found!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Orlion I'd be willing to help here too - is it comparing the e-books to the paper books?
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

StevieG wrote:Orlion I'd be willing to help here too - is it comparing the e-books to the paper books?
That's exactly what it is! Any book you'd prefer to review? (Same for you, wayfriend! If there's one you'd specifically want to check out, just tell me here or by PM)
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

No preference really. I reckon there would be a few other interested parties...

Nominate a book/series of chapters and I'll do what I can.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I would recommend starting a sub-forum for each book, and a thread for each chapter in said book.

These forums and threads could be deleted after the proof-read.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Rigel wrote:I would recommend starting a sub-forum for each book, and a thread for each chapter in said book.

These forums and threads could be deleted after the proof-read.
That's a good idea.... I shall pester the mods about it with my petitions!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Comparison probably wouldn't be necessary. Just proof reading it sounded like. If it was scanned by OCR and then not edited, it'll be filled with spelling mistakes, words that the software read wrong, stuff like that.

--A
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Wow this is a perfect excuses for a re-read ;-). I'd be willing to join, hopefully I'll have enough time.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Good project. I think helping SRD (and forcing cooperation from a disinterested editor) is a worthwhile endeavour. I'll make some enquiries about the sub-forum idea.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Alright, we'll go ahead with the sub-forums. It's thought to be a good idea to inform SRD that this is going ahead, so he knows people are working on it and he can direct others here if non-KW people express interest in undertaking the task.

Orlion, would you like to compose a message for Danlo to send to SRD (since you initiated the project), or would you prefer someone else to do it?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sub-Forums are up. :D

No quitting now. ;)

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

CovenantJr wrote:Alright, we'll go ahead with the sub-forums. It's thought to be a good idea to inform SRD that this is going ahead, so he knows people are working on it and he can direct others here if non-KW people express interest in undertaking the task.

Orlion, would you like to compose a message for Danlo to send to SRD (since you initiated the project), or would you prefer someone else to do it?
Yeah, I'll give it a shot.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

So how are we going to do this?

If we can get errors into some sort of standard format it would be good. Perhaps a table or spreadsheet?

Book, Chapter of error, word or phrase in question, and what it should be - something like that?

Disregard if you don't think it's a good idea.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

StevieG wrote:So how are we going to do this?

If we can get errors into some sort of standard format it would be good. Perhaps a table or spreadsheet?

Book, Chapter of error, word or phrase in question, and what it should be - something like that?

Disregard if you don't think it's a good idea.
Yeah, we definitely need that... at the moment, we'll place the errors in the proper forum. I think with the errors, we should specify if we are using a Kindle edition or otherwise (different format, might be different problems) and just to be thorough, the edition of the book the e-book was compared to (this is unnecessary if it's just a spelling error or the like).

Also, verification. If we can get people to check on the error found, we can attach names of people who have found and verified it, so that we know it's not just a bad download, but a problem with the file.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Maybe we can give a special item prize to all the people who help out. :)

-jay

Return to “The Gap Series”