Re-reading Mordant's Need *Spoilers*

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I started a reread of it...I think...this past summer or maybe spring....I can't remember. It's been especially slow for me, mainly because I'm not reading nearly as much as I had been since the baby was born. But regardless, I was surprised at how quickly Terisa grows a spine. I always remembered her being kinda spineless for a while, but it is reading like a totally different book for me. I'm about halfway through the second book, and I really need to get back to it before I forget everything I read previously.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Just finished Bk 2. As always, a great read. I was particularly interested to note another warning about the dangers of certainty near the end. (SRD has the Bloodguard dislike certainty too.)

Gart was great in this book...gonna go find the thread.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Oh, anybody else feel a theme of people not being completely responsible for their own actions though? There usually seems to be an explanation for the way the characters turned out. Nyle and Gilbur spring to mind.

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Remind me again how fast you read? Sheesh. I don't quite connect all the dots in your question.
The story is fresh in your mind now, but you need to refresh us (okay, me) on what it is you're talking about.
I'm not being antsy here, just asking you...to...slow...down...for an old-timer like me.

Post by Avatar »

:lol: 'Bout 120 pages an hour usually.

As for my question...SRD seems to go to lengths to explain why Gilbur was the way he was...the attack, the suffering he underwent until Eremis rescued him. He absolves Nyle of his treachery by having Joyce acknowledge that it was his actions that drove Nyle to treachery, things like that...reasons why the "bad guys" acted the way they did.

He doesn't absolve, but he does justify.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:He doesn't absolve, but he does justify.
The word I would use is "explain". Donaldsons characters are always plausible - they always make plausible choices based on circumstances and temperment, even the evil ones.

Post by Avatar »

Ok, yeah, that's a good way of looking at it. I like the acknowledgement that things don't happen in a vacuum. It's a crazy, random, cause and effect universe. :D

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Terisa was essentially living her real life in a vacuum, the "the empty mirror" as it were and has to recreate herself out of almost nothing.
Spoiler
Thanks to Geraden's mishap (?) she embarks on a fairly astounding journey.
fall far and well Pilots!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Just powered through a bunch of book one yesterday and when I read the scene where Myste leaves to go on her journey I was reminded of how much I love Myste. She describes the way that others would describe her as being the "dreamy" one but she's probably the most down to earth and practical person we have met so far.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Just finished book 1. I forgot what a great suspense point SRD ended it on. If I had to wait for the next book I would be suffering.

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Dang, that's fast. I'm only 3/4 of the way through Mirror of Her Dreams, despite starting before you.

It's such great weather this weekend, though, I'll probably head to the park tomorrow and finish the rest.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Just finished book 1. I forgot what a great suspense point SRD ended it on. If I had to wait for the next book I would be suffering.
I believe the first time I read it, I did have to wait for the next book. (Or wait until I found it, not sure which.)
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I just read the scene with Quillon and Terisa in the dungeon and I got all choked up over how compassionate Terisa is over the Castellan despite the horrific way he treats her. Of all the people she's met and come to like she gets most angry and mortified over what Joyse is doing to the CASTELLAN, the one person who has sworn to hurt her to the fullest extent of his power. She is so upset for the Castellan that she is moved to TEARS. Her ability to finally express grief reveals that her passive days are now OVER. She has really come a long way in her journey at this point. I love and admire her for it.

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:
Cameraman Jenn wrote:Just finished book 1. I forgot what a great suspense point SRD ended it on. If I had to wait for the next book I would be suffering.
I believe the first time I read it, I did have to wait for the next book. (Or wait until I found it, not sure which.)
Yeah, I looked for the second one for a few years. :D

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:
Yeah, I looked for the second one for a few years. :D

--A
8O If it wasn't for the Last Chronicles, I wouldn't know how you felt... when I read MN for the first time, I had both books, so I was able to just continue on to book two for a couple hundred pages before I collapsed from exhaustion :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Ha, that's nothing...I waited 17 years for King to finish The Dark Tower. :lol:

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:Ha, that's nothing...I waited 17 years for King to finish The Dark Tower. :lol:

--A
Heh...me too...and soooooooo hated the ending.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

Meh, it's grown on me. I was annoyed at first, (not by the actual ending, but by King), but a few rereads and it started to make sense.

--A
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Take it to the SK forum, we are talking about MN here. Forgot how amazing T is when she finally goes to G for some booty.

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A

Return to “Mordant's Need”