Deathly Hallows Part One - My Review

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Deathly Hallows Part One - My Review

Post by Zahir »

"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

I saw it this past Sunday with my sister and son. It was ok.

I also have to mention that I have not read the books. That might contribute to why I was somewhat ... well ... bored at points. The running away of the three seemed like a lot of ... camping (cool how BIG inside the tent was.) Camping in forests, camping on the mountain, camping ...

It was interesting how the Horcrux affected the wearers ... and very reminiscent of wearing the "one ring."

I also thought Harry's wand breaking seemed very ... incidental. But it 'felt' like it should be important.

All in all it was my least favorite Potter film, but I'd still rate it a B-
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Don't worry, they seem like they're camping in the book too :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Madadeva wrote:I saw it this past Sunday with my sister and son. It was ok.

I also have to mention that I have not read the books. That might contribute to why I was somewhat ... well ... bored at points. The running away of the three seemed like a lot of ... camping (cool how BIG inside the tent was.) Camping in forests, camping on the mountain, camping ...

It was interesting how the Horcrux affected the wearers ... and very reminiscent of wearing the "one ring."

I saw it last Saturday and in General enjoyed it bit I do agree with you it slowed down a bit half way through , mind you i would like a tent like that lol ;)
I was happy with the scene were Ron rescues Harry and the effects of the horcrux when opened better than I imagened in the book , but taught the kinda naked harry and hermoine a bit (oh that a bit much ) mind you we went to any early showing and the cinema was full of kids , the two whom were sitting next to me and the missus started to make out :roll: during the movie nearly gave them a slap lol
Apart from the main 2 actors everyone one ele just has bit parts must be frustrating for them . HP7 goes to the DARK side cool
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Cleburne wrote:
Madadeva wrote:I saw it this past Sunday with my sister and son. It was ok.

I saw it last Saturday and in General enjoyed it bit I do agree with you it slowed down a bit half way through , mind you i would like a tent like that lol ;)
I was happy with the scene were Ron rescues Harry and the effects of the horcrux when opened better than I imagened in the book , but taught the kinda naked harry and hermoine a bit (oh that a bit much ) mind you we went to any early showing and the cinema was full of kids , the two whom were sitting next to me and the missus started to make out :roll: during the movie nearly gave them a slap lol
Apart from the main 3 actors everyone one else just has bit parts must be frustrating for them . HP7 goes to the DARK side cool
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
ur-Lord Jymwah
Servant of the Land

Post by ur-Lord Jymwah »

Hi all,

I personally thought this was one of the best films so far, and I think I put it down to the fact that its in 2 parts. Thats always been my main problem with these films, they've cut out or changed so much of the story in the first 6 that it was quite nice to actually watch it with next to no differences to the book. There were still some obvious changes, like the way they were caught by the snatchers and Voldemort not actually arriving at Godrics Hollow, but on the whole I think they kept it pretty true to the book. If i had my way each film would be about 6 hours long :D
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

ur-Lord Jymwah wrote:Hi all,

I personally thought this was one of the best films so far, and I think I put it down to the fact that its in 2 parts. Thats always been my main problem with these films, they've cut out or changed so much of the story in the first 6 that it was quite nice to actually watch it with next to no differences to the book. There were still some obvious changes, like the way they were caught by the snatchers and Voldemort not actually arriving at Godrics Hollow, but on the whole I think they kept it pretty true to the book. If i had my way each film would be about 6 hours long :D
Voldermort not in Godrics hollow was noticable and also I cant remember but was the potrait of Black not in Hermoines bag :?: Im sure I didnt hear mention of it that was important in the book .
Thats what annoyed me in the other films especially "Half blood Prince" they didnt keep to the book BTW sorry for double post earlier in this thread :roll:
ur-Lord Jymwah
Servant of the Land

Post by ur-Lord Jymwah »

Yeah its things like the painting that really annoy me, that is a key part of the plot in how the doe finds them in the first place. That's why i prefered this film to the rest. 1-6 had so much missing or changed it felt different. Almost wrong. But I still love them, dont get ME wrong ;)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nice review Zahir. Actually made me less dubious about going to watch this one.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I waited until I saw the film before opening this thread. Your review is spot on, Zahir. I think this is also my second favorite film now, next to PoA. At least, tied for second with SS/PS. I will always cherish that first eye-opening view of Rowling's wizarding world in the first film.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Yeah, I loved the first two films as well, when I first saw them. I still enjoy them, but they're a little too candyshop to really take seriously. That's why PoA really stands tall, it violently broke from that, and from there it just got darker and darker. The above applies to the books as well, I guess.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, POA has been the best movie so far. And HBP the worst.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

My only quibble with PoA, other than what was cut out which is a given considering the medium, was the choice to have the students wear regular clothes rather than robes most of the time they were at Hogwarts. I like the robes differentiating between the muggle world and when the students are in school.

But, that is more a stylistic quibble. Otherwise I loved the dark overtones of PoA. For a film adaptation of the book, I still think it is the best. I wish Cuarón had directed at least one more of the films, especially HBP.

I'll reserve final judgment on my part of where I rank this adaptation of DH for after I have seen both parts. I do know that I already like the signs I have seen of Neville's backbone in part one.

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”