The Dictionary of the Khazars

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Dictionary of the Khazars

Post by peter »

Just an enquiry as to whether any other 'Watchers' have come across this book by the Serb author Milorad Pavic. The book is written like a jigsaw in a couple of hundred (or so) entrys divided into three 'dictionaries'. It is of no significance in what order they are read, for the story does not require temporal succession in the usual sense, but rather is built up in whatever order the reader chooses (ie like a jigsaw). The book is written in exactly 100,000 words and to further complicate things, there is a male and a female version of the book. The two versions differ in only one sentance - but only by reading both forms can the full story be put together. I have read the book many times; the story concerns the conversion of a central Asian peoples named the Khazars to either Judaism, Christianity or Islam in the C8th, and is spread over twelve hundred years - in it you mill meet the Satans of the three faiths, men who exist only by walking through other peoples dreams and parrots that speak in long dead languages of turtles that swin in the sea with fragments of the Khazar polemic engraved into their shells. It's a curious tale if you have not come across it before - if you have, please let me know so I can ask you what the hell is supposed to be going on!

NB! Please note - Page 3 on this thread is essentially an exegesis on my ideas on the book and is cram packed full of spoilers so beware!
Last edited by peter on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

wow, that sounds great!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

balon! wrote:wow, that sounds great!
yea...I just started looking for it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I've never heard of this -- I'll have to look for it!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Be warned Guys. The Dictionary of the Khazars is a riddle wraped in a puzzle surrounded by a maze. You could get lost in that book and never come out!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

www.khazars.com/en/

thor.prohosting.com/mila18/
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Thanks for the above link's Hue. The prohosting one seems to have the whole work in place BUT they have made some adjustments to the book entry order that I'm not 100% happy with (sounds silly in a book that it does not matter what order it is read in, but these changes involve taking the apendices of the book and adding them into the 'dictionary text itself and I don't think this works as well - the changes are outlined in the 'notes' section of the online version nb the small 'notes' link, not the main dictionary notes entry). Also the books themselves are soooo beautifully made (the hardbacks that is) that it almost seems that some of the magic is contained within the pages themselves as much as the words. The advantage of the site is that both the male and female exemplars are present and this makes the 'solution' available in one place as opposed to two books. On balance though I think it worth taking the trouble to aquire the book if you can and then just using the site for that one paragraph where the two versions differ.
Last edited by peter on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn, sounds like something I have to look for.

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Just ordered it from Amazon. Will let you know what I think. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

That's fantastic Aliantha - at last I will have another person to talk to who will have read the 'Khazars'! Trust me nothing you have ever experienced will have prepared you for this. The preliminary notes will be of great help in orientating your way around the book and after that you are on your own. Just one question, did you go for the male or female version (mine is the female).

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I got the female one too. Mainly that's what popped up on Amazon. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Exellent. The 'male' paragraph is easily found online (Hue's hypertext link above has both paragraphs side by side). I look forward to hearing from you when you have some thoughts to impart. Thanks for taking a bit of a leap of faith on this one - I don't think you will be dissapointed.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

...sounds wild! 8) 8) 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

Just received my hardback copy today. What a nicely made book it is.
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

will be lookinh for it at the library tomorrow - thanks for the info.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I have now finished my 5th or so reading of the book. This time I was much more methodical in my approach than on previous occasions and I believe I am getting pretty close to getting it sorted out. There remain for me a few unresolved issues - and I am by no means sure that my interpretation is the correct one....However..... the pieces do seem to fit together and make at least some sense using it and in the absence of a better explanation I think I have done the best of which I am capable. Can't wait to 'compare notes' with anyone else who has the audacity to attempt to unravel this enigma!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

slow down, peter! I only just became literate again now after ten years of not being able to read a book!
I still need to buy a copy of "the faggiest vampire."
That book will be fun to read!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hi Guys - just a quick inquiery as to whether anyone ever made any progress with TDOTK. If anyone did could you let me know. Thanks, Peter.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:oops: It's still in my to-be-read pile. It's next on my list, tho, I swears it! :oops:

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”