What, no thread about the NPR debacle?

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

What, no thread about the NPR debacle?

Post by Cail »

Seriously, like this is a surprise?
chiller announced she is leaving only about 24 hours after a video surfaced on the Internet with comments by NPR's top fundraiser, Ron Schiller (no relation to Vivian Schiller), made during a luncheon meeting with two men who posed as wealthy donors from a Muslim charity. During the meeting, which was recorded by James O'Keefe, a well-known conservative provocateur, Schiller disparaged Republicans as "anti-intellectual" and tea party members as racists and xenophobes. He also suggested that Jews control the nation's newspapers and that NPR would be better off without its federal subsidy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

not surprised - also will not be surprised when the mass media ignores it.

thanks for posting - had missed the story.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: What, no thread about the NPR debacle?

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:Seriously, like this is a surprise?
chiller announced she is leaving only about 24 hours after a video surfaced on the Internet with comments by NPR's top fundraiser, Ron Schiller (no relation to Vivian Schiller), made during a luncheon meeting with two men who posed as wealthy donors from a Muslim charity. During the meeting, which was recorded by James O'Keefe, a well-known conservative provocateur, Schiller disparaged Republicans as "anti-intellectual" and tea party members as racists and xenophobes. He also suggested that Jews control the nation's newspapers and that NPR would be better off without its federal subsidy.
Wait...so it's OK that she was forced to resign for something that someone else did? When she wasn't there? Or it's not ok?
[For the record...it isn't.]
But HEY! KUDOS to O'Keefe...he's still a scumbag, but at least in this case he wasn't a lying scumbag.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Well, no reason not to defund them then.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

NPR?

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

www.google.com
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I think he was asking who to defund? Yes Av, defund NPR. They don't need it anyway.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

stop funding most of what congress allows.

npr, pbs, planned parenthood.

all these businesses make plenty of money. and if the end up not making money - that is free enterprise.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Does anyone other than a liberal intellectual listen to NPR? I don't even know which stations carry NPR broadcasts here in the Metroplex and we have a lot of radio stations.

I concur--defund NPR and let it go the way of other liberal talk radio.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

we actually listen to npr all the time. but if there is a market for it - it wil survive.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:
www.google.com
Why do you have to make my life difficult? :lol: You could have at least made it a link to the results for an NPR search... :lol:

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Does anyone other than a liberal intellectual listen to NPR? I don't even know which stations carry NPR broadcasts here in the Metroplex and we have a lot of radio stations.

It's on my Sirius rotation. I listen to it 'till I get pissed, then I flip over to Fox Talk 'till that pisses me off, then I go back to NPR. Talk radio of any stripe is just ridiculous theater.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Cail wrote:
www.google.com
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

That was awesome.

Personally, I love NPR. I just leave my car radio on the channel. Car Talk on the weekends is where it's at.

-jay
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

car talk, wait wait don't tell me (those two being my wife's favorites), prarie home companion, all things considered, engines of our ingenuity, says you (my favorite), the kids playing classical music (another julie favorite)

there is tons of quality programming, i am sure they can find quality sponsors.

same with pbs and the national endowment for the arts.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

kevinswatch wrote:That was awesome.
:|

--A
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I think NPR could run and survive without the federal support. They could run like WFMT, the classical music station in Chicago; which doesn't run canned commercials, the announcer reads them. They also run pledge drives.

NPR's news is ok. They have predictable feature stories, but their news itself is generally pretty straight forward. I don't stick around to listen to call-in shows of any stripe, I could care less what Bob from Cicero thinks whether he's calling into Rush or Talk of the Nation.

NPR has entertainment shows that have few counterparts in commercial radio. Car Talk, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, and This American Life are all good, but wouldn't survive in the narrow focus of commercial radio programming today. "All Talk", "Lite Rock", whatever. Of course, that pretentious turd, Garrison Keillor, on A Prairie Home Companion might not survive either. The lack of general interest commercial radio stations is the biggest problem in radio today, IMO.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Does anyone other than a liberal intellectual listen to NPR? I don't even know which stations carry NPR broadcasts here in the Metroplex and we have a lot of radio stations.

I listen to it all the time, just don't agree with it's opinion pieces all the time. OTOH I love Electro-lounge :biggrin:
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Actually, I've heard more about this on NPR than any other news source including Fox. That says something.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The opinions of this one man man not be representative of the entire organization, but there certainly is a feeling that our suspicions were confirmed here: they're a bunch of liberal elites who think we're all dumb racist hicks. His reasoning that universities aren't liberal was just hilarious. He said that conservatives only think that universities are liberal because we are anti-intellectual, and we suspect everything which is intellectual as being liberal. Such a petty, self-serving elitist attitude. Does the guy not realize that evidence actually exists on the political leanings of college professors? Here in Kentucky--certainly not a liberal state--my son just signed up for classes at the University of Kentucky. Before he even stepped into a single classroom, he was assigned one book to read, No Impact Man, The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet. Not liberal? You've got to be kidding me. I skimmed the book. It's hardly intellectual. There's a chapter called, How a Schlub Like Me Gets Mixed Up in a Stunt Like This. It's mostly this guy whining about how guilty he feels for living in modern society. Yep, that's what our university wants every incoming freshman to read before they step into their first class: liberal guilt. Let the indoctrinization begin.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Probably worth mentioning

www.npr.org/2011/03/14/134525412/Segmen ... Of-Context
The Blaze — a conservative news aggregation site set up by Fox News host Glenn Beck — first took a look late last week and found that O'Keefe had edited much of the shorter video in deceiving ways.

"There was certainly a lot there for conservatives and people of faith and Tea Party activists to be bothered about — but we felt like that wasn't the whole story," said Scott Baker, editor in chief of The Blaze. "There were a lot of other things said that may have been complimentary to conservatives and to people of faith and Tea Party activists in the same conversations."

My review was conducted with several colleagues. I also relied on outside people, including Baker, who have expertise in analyzing video and audio to review the two tapes.

Broadcast journalist Al Tompkins said he was initially outraged by what he heard in that first, shorter video by O'Keefe. Tompkins now teaches ethics at the Poynter Institute, a journalism school in St. Petersburg, Fla.

"What I saw was an executive at NPR expressing overtly political opinions that I was really uncomfortable with," Tompkins said. "Particularly the way the video was edited, it just seemed he was spouting off about practically everything."

But Tompkins said his mind was changed by watching that two-hour version.

"I tell my children there are two ways to lie," Tompkins said. "One is to tell me something that didn't happen, and the other is not to tell me something that did happen. I think they employed both techniques in this."

Sacramento, Calif.-based digital forensic consultant Mark Menz also reviewed both tapes at my request. He has done extensive video analyses for federal agencies and corporations.

"From my personal opinion, the short one is definitely edited in a form and fashion to lead you to a certain conclusion — you might say it's looking only at the dirty laundry," Menz said. He drew a distinction between that and a compressed news story.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!

Return to “Coercri”