What Happened to the Anti-War Movement?

Archive From The 'Tank
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

What Happened to the Anti-War Movement?

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, we all know the answer: Obama was elected. It turns out that the anti-war movement does not depend as much upon our wars as it does the political party of our President. [Kind of like the pro-union protests in WI for a policy that's almost exactly what Jimmy Carter signed into law for the federal government union employees (and which neither Obama nor his defeated Democrat Congress ever made a move to change).]

From Reason.com:
Even as President Obama maintains close to 50,000 troops in Iraq and continues to escalate and expand the war in Afghanistan, the antiwar movement in America continues to shrink (PDF).

So, what happened?

Reason.tv visited two antiwar protests—one left-leaning, one libertarian—in an attempt to answer that question. Author and historian Thaddeus Russell and Reason Senior Editor Brian Doherty also weigh in.

War, it seems, is a bipartisan venture, which is reflected by the fact that Democrats have a favorable view of Obama's foreign policy, despite its remarkable similarity to George W. Bush's foreign policy. And though there have been rumblings of antiwar sentiment from some on the Right, Republicans remain strongly in favor of an interventionist foreign policy.

Although public sentiment is turning against the war in Afghanistan, the always-shifting withdrawal deadlines and the unwillingness to touch defense spending mean that this bipartisan war is likely to continue far into the future.
reason.com/blog/2011/01/20/reasontv-wha ... ned-to-the

The video is worth watching. It documents Obama's numerous broken promises, and the miniscule anti-war protests of today. Proof that it was never about war, but merely politics.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

are you saying that Obama did not deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

This is what happens when people blindly follow a party or a person.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Obama pronounces "nuclear" correctly. Clearly he's the better president.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Is that what you call a pronounced difference between leaders?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Savor Dam wrote:Is that what you call a pronounced difference between leaders?
I believe so.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm sure the whole "party loyalty" thing has something to do with it...but really, I think it's mostly cuz other issues have taken precedence. Whether they should have or not is another matter.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,
Cail wrote:Obama pronounces "nuclear" correctly. Clearly he's the better president.
That is a plus. Not that I'm fond of Obama but the habit of pronouncing Nuclear "Nukular" drives me mad. The word is not that difficult.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Vraith wrote:I'm sure the whole "party loyalty" thing has something to do with it...but really, I think it's mostly cuz other issues have taken precedence. Whether they should have or not is another matter.
That's true. Before hand, we were well enough off to start imposing ourselves into other people's business... now, we're focused on individual matters like gas prices.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

anything obama does proves him abetter leader. even if it stuff he promised not to do or stuff bsuh did that obama is still doing. because he is just so awesome. makes me feel a thrill down my leg, he does.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Vraith wrote:...I think it's mostly cuz other issues have taken precedence. Whether they should have or not is another matter.
I definitely agee with the last part. If a downturn in the economy is all it takes for anti-war protesters to lose their enthusiasm, then that means that caring about human life is merely a luxury for them, something they only have time for when the unemployment level is below 6%, for instance. However ... with all the unemployment out there, you'd think that people would have *more* time to protest, not less.

Nah, I think it's pure politics. Just like you don't see as many Dems complain about the deficit or the homeless when a Dem is President, even though we have greater deficit and more homeless. It's pure hypocrisy. Just like Gitmo apparently doesn't create terrorism anymore, as they claimed for years.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:
Vraith wrote:...I think it's mostly cuz other issues have taken precedence. Whether they should have or not is another matter.
I definitely agee with the last part. If a downturn in the economy is all it takes for anti-war protesters to lose their enthusiasm, then that means that caring about human life is merely a luxury for them, something they only have time for when the unemployment level is below 6%, for instance. However ... with all the unemployment out there, you'd think that people would have *more* time to protest, not less.

Nah, I think it's pure politics. Just like you don't see as many Dems complain about the deficit or the homeless when a Dem is President, even though we have greater deficit and more homeless. It's pure hypocrisy. Just like Gitmo apparently doesn't create terrorism anymore, as they claimed for years.
A downturn in the economy IS all it takes, not just for the protestors, but the media that covers it, and the politicians who talk about it...a down economy trumps EVERY freakin thing in this country, it's been demonstrated over and over.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

This is a perception problem. War protests are still occurring. Numerous petitions are stilling being sent to the president for the closing of Gitmo. You just don't hear about it. The Tea Party is the new hip thing so they've stolen the media's attention for the past two years. I get about a dozen emails a week with information about this rally or to sign this petition. It's old news to protest the war.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"Obama Lied, people died" just doesn't sound as catchy, truth be damned.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Vraith, I understand that a downturn in the economy trumps a war protest in terms of news coverage and public perception (which goes to Kin's point, too), but that's because it effects more people, including those who are not anti-war activists. For the activists themselves, I don't see how a recession turns an activist into someone who stops going to rallies. Kins is right: there are still anti-war rallies. But they only have a fraction of the attendance as they did under Bush (which means it's a lot more than a perception problem, Kins; attendance numbers are objective).

We had an economic downturn under Bush. It took several years for the tax cuts to have an effect and turn the economy around. But the downturn didn't stop the protests under Bush.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think Kins makes a good point...just because coverage has disappeared, doesn't mean nobody is protesting it.

That said, there could be something to the idea that who's in charge makes a difference. The democrats had to toone down opposition, because their pres is doing the same thing as the last one, and the reps didn't protest it when Bush was doing it, so they can't really protest it now...

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Avatar wrote:I think Kins makes a good point...just because coverage has disappeared, doesn't mean nobody is protesting it.

That said, there could be something to the idea that who's in charge makes a difference. The democrats had to toone down opposition, because their pres is doing the same thing as the last one, and the reps didn't protest it when Bush was doing it, so they can't really protest it now...
That assumes stasis. 8 years ago I was all for both wars. Now, not so much.

And I can tell you that there have been exactly zero major anti-war protests in DC since November, 2008 (the biggest one since then drew about 2,000 people). I have also seen no more than a literal handful of the bongo-playing peaceniks across the street from the White House at any given time since November, 2008. People may still be protesting the war, but they're not doing it in DC.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

It's frustrating for those of us who don't care for Obama to see the way the most Media sources in the U.S. coddle him.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Cail wrote:
Avatar wrote:I think Kins makes a good point...just because coverage has disappeared, doesn't mean nobody is protesting it.

That assumes stasis. 8 years ago I was all for both wars. Now, not so much.

And I can tell you that there have been exactly zero major anti-war protests in DC since November, 2008 (the biggest one since then drew about 2,000 people). I have also seen no more than a literal handful of the bongo-playing peaceniks across the street from the White House at any given time since November, 2008. People may still be protesting the war, but they're not doing it in DC.
Whatever happened to "what's her face" who purchased land next to GWB so she could protest the war right next to his property? Where the F**k has she been since the community organizer took office? Same war; what? Different party?
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Return to “Coercri”