Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell - Does it improve?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Zob
Servant of the Land

Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell - Does it improve?

Post by Zob »

I'm about 100 pages in, and it started off very well, quite sinister and I thought there might be a spooky little story in here, the trip to see Mr. Norrell was well-handled, as wer the introductory chapters.

The lo and behold it arrives in London and falls to pieces! tedious and verbose, the introduction to society thru the insufferable Drawlight is endless. The footnotes once quite interesting are now simply a chore.

It seems to me like a 3-400 page story is being dragged out to twice that length, does it improve at all? it seems the sinister and interesting has given way to boredom and farce.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's been a long time since I read it, but I think I found it a bit slow up until the second section, when Strange is introduced. I did like it overall.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Murrin wrote:It's been a long time since I read it, but I think I found it a bit slow up until the second section, when Strange is introduced. I did like it overall.
Yep. It's written like a Victorian novel, so if you've had trouble reading Charles Dickens or Jane Austen, you'll have difficulty with this novel also.

I, however, enjoyed it, footnotes and all.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zob
Servant of the Land

Post by Zob »

I love Dickens and I like Austen, but Clarke doesn't write near well-enough to pull it off, so far anyway. Oh well.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

[quote="Orlion"

I, however, enjoyed it, footnotes and all.[/quote]

Those footnotes were actually my favorite part of the whole thing.
I enjoyed it mostly, but it wasn't all that and a trust fund as I was led to believe.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If your asking if it gets markedly better as it goes along, then the answer is no. If you're not liking the beginning, nothing is going to pull you in. Just my opinion.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I stopped after a couple hundred pages. I can't help but wonder if I would have finished it if I had gotten my first pair of reading glasses just before I started reading it, instead of just after. Heh. But it really wasn't doing for me what I'd hoped.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zob
Servant of the Land

Post by Zob »

wayfriend wrote:If your asking if it gets markedly better as it goes along, then the answer is no. If you're not liking the beginning, nothing is going to pull you in. Just my opinion.

I think you're right actually. From the magic in the Cathedral, it all went downhill from there.

Oh well, someone will enjoy it I guess, I'll give it to a charity shop. It's not what I'd hoped.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I didn't think it was that great myself. Not bad, but not what I'd hoped/expected.

Welcome to the Watch by the way. :D

--A
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I tried reading it and gave up after about 200 pages. Just didn't like the writing style and nothing in the stories or characters was drawing me in.

So a few months later I tried what has worked in similar situations before, where I really wanted to know the story but was having difficulty reading and got the story as an audiobook. Even as an audiobook, I gave up about half way thru, ended up fast forwarding a lot and never found a section that insterested me.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
mrsnull
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by mrsnull »

Bought this book for Sarge at the library book sale. Now I am wondering if he will like it.
“This is Our Bleeping City” - David Ortiz
lmyhcsf
Servant of the Land

Post by lmyhcsf »

Only read it once, and wasnt that overly impressed. But looking back after reading these posts, I do rem a lot of things that I did like. Maybe just get into the writing style?
BT Shire
Woodhelvennin

Post by BT Shire »

Wow, I thought it was great. Definitely written in an older style, and it had a lot of digressions and didn't seem to have a unified plot. But I thought all those things made it charming. I found it witty, funny, creepy, and compelling.

Definitely the kind of book you are going to either love or hate. Not for everyone.

Post by Avatar »

Well, I'm reading it again to give it another chance.

--A

Post by Avatar »

So...second impressions...it was page 268 before I got a real hint of an underlying story. And page 500 before it started to materialise.

That story is interesting, but it's a little too understated if anything. The boring top layer is a little overwhelming.

Got about 100 pages to go...

--A
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

'J.Strange and M. Norell' is one of the best (genre) books I've read in the past ten years. It's smart and subtle and wonderfully bittersweet in tone. Don't miss out.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

My opinion? Well, I read it years ago when it first came out. I finished it. It still sits on my bookcase. Meh. It was okay. I kind of liked the footnotes. If there were no footnotes I probably wouldn't have finished it. ;)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Lady Revel wrote:My opinion? Well, I read it years ago when it first came out. I finished it. It still sits on my bookcase. Meh. It was okay. I kind of liked the footnotes. If there were no footnotes I probably wouldn't have finished it. ;)
The footnotes are what definitely made the book, I think. A good enough imitation of Victorian literature, but the footnotes are what give it life.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

I wanted a lot more about the Raven King.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”