chess question

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

chess question

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Question: My King was in check, I blocked it with my Bishop. Several moves later I moved that Bishop unknowingly exposing my King again to that same piece. It took 2 more moves for us to realize my King had been back in check all that time. Did I automatically lose as soon as I moved the Bishop and exposed my King? I think so but I'm not sure.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Technically I'd say yes. Depends if it's between friends or not... Then again, if neither of you noticed then maybe there's another ruling I'm not aware of. Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to "I don't know" - sorry!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

No you did not lose.

FIDE Laws of Chess

1. If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity. The clocks shall be adjusted according to Article 6.13. The Articles 4.3 and 4.6 apply to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then continue from this re-instated position.
  2. After the action taken under Article 7.4.a, for the first two illegal moves by a player the arbiter shall give two minutes extra time to his opponent in each instance; for a third illegal move by the same player, the arbiter shall declare the game lost by this player. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ummmmm, Go Fish???
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
rdhopeca
The Master

Re: chess question

Post by rdhopeca »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Question: My King was in check, I blocked it with my Bishop. Several moves later I moved that Bishop unknowingly exposing my King again to that same piece. It took 2 more moves for us to realize my King had been back in check all that time. Did I automatically lose as soon as I moved the Bishop and exposed my King? I think so but I'm not sure.
Heh you should come play me on redhotpawn.... www.redhotpawn.com same handle as here...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Like Don said...you don't lose...you have to put it back to the way it was and play from there.

--A
High Lord Tolkien

Don Exnihilote wrote:No you did not lose.

FIDE Laws of Chess

1. If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity.
But here's the thing...When we discovered the mistake it was my son's move and my King was open for the taking.
So at that point we both have to admit that we both missed it and backtrack our moves?
Hmm....
We were 2 moves past by that point and had each captured a piece.
I don't think I could have confidently back tracked.

I'm going with that I exposed my King and lost.
It's good to know what the official rule is though, thanks!

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
High Lord Tolkien

rdhopeca wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Question: My King was in check, I blocked it with my Bishop. Several moves later I moved that Bishop unknowingly exposing my King again to that same piece. It took 2 more moves for us to realize my King had been back in check all that time. Did I automatically lose as soon as I moved the Bishop and exposed my King? I think so but I'm not sure.
Heh you should come play me on redhotpawn.... www.redhotpawn.com same handle as here...
I just tried but you only allow 1 opponent at a time, I think.

Image Image Image Image
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:
what's your handle I'll challenge you...I think my max is set to 6 but I'm in a bunch of tournaments and clans...
Rob

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I missed a chess question? I really should be better about checking GD.

Pretty much what the posters said above - you didn't lose, and it's pretty much impossible to lose in that manner (unless it was speed chess, which allows for that kind of mistake). If you couldn't rewind the game, the proper outcome should've been a stalemate, like if a dog or small child had tipped the board.

And that reminds me, we used to have a KW Chess competition (IIRC, I won the first year and either lost or didn't play the next one). We could look at bringing it back.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien

rdhopeca wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:
rdhopeca wrote: Heh you should come play me on redhotpawn.... www.redhotpawn.com same handle as here...
what's your handle I'll challenge you...I think my max is set to 6 but I'm in a bunch of tournaments and clans...
"This player is already playing their self imposed maximum concurrent games (1)"

davidsmithhlt

Image Image Image Image
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote: I just tried but you only allow 1 opponent at a time, I think.
"This player is already playing their self imposed maximum concurrent games (1)"

davidsmithhlt
Lies! All Lies! :)
Rob

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

[Syl Embattled] wrote: And that reminds me, we used to have a KW Chess competition (IIRC, I won the first year and either lost or didn't play the next one). We could look at bringing it back.
Hmmm.....*lays down hand* I got a pair of sixes. Aces high. Like to see you beat that! :ct07:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Happens to me and my bother a lot. Ussually we just have whoever is in check make the next move and play from there. Not traditional, but we're only playing for fun anyway.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

High Lord Tolkien wrote: I don't think I could have confidently back tracked.
That's why you write down your moves. ;)

For the record, I asked my son, and he basically said the same thing, with a twist:
Depends what type of game is being played. A move that exposes your king to check is illegal in a regular game, so in that case the player did not lose, and all the moves should be undone until the bishop is back in front of the king. But in less conventional style games such as speed or bughouse, it is legal (but fatal) to expose your own king to check, and the player loses automatically.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Writing down your moves? Hahaha, what a pain. :D

(Damn, I haven't played Chess in years it feels like.)

--A
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I think I fixed my challenge count no Red Hot Pawn if anyone else wants to challenge me.... www.redhotpawn.com rdhopeca
Rob

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm bad at chess. My brain just isn't built for thinking several moves ahead.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

If chess has any relationship to filmmaking, it would be in the way it helps you develop patience and discipline in choosing between alternatives at a time when an impulsive decision seems very attractive. -- Stanley Kubrick
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I'm Murrin wrote:I'm bad at chess. My brain just isn't built for thinking several moves ahead.
I'm bad at chess, too. But in my case I think it's mostly cause I haven't played that much and haven't invested the time in learning strategies. My son, on the other hand, played competitive chess during a short period of his life. He has an extensive chess library, in part due to a friend who dropped a huge collection of chess books on our doorstep one fine day, knowing our son likes chess. (The books had belonged to someone in their family who no longer used or wanted them.)

Watching a bughouse chess game in action is amusing. The kids at chess tournaments seemed to play bughouse a lot for fun while they were waiting for their turns in the actual tournament.

And, yeah, Av, I could see not wanting to bother writing your moves. They do it in tournaments and it's pretty quick with the shorthand used, from what I could tell. But no real reason to bother in a casual game unless you're feeling really competitive. ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “General Discussion Forum”